Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

This is how we end up staying at a dirty room, forcing people to rush to make minimum or better. Perhaps it's meant as motivation to avoid goofing off, but a decent hotel would have procedures in place that would define the average time required to clean a room, and documentation of anything unusual such as the (poop) example. Then the motivation is having to explain not meeting the defined goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:16 PM

573 posts, read 585,773 times
I'm sorry but a 2.5-3 star hotel or better charges enough they should have decently paid housekeeping staff. It is absolutely ridiculous how greedy some of these damn chains are.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
She'd be better off becoming an in home caregiver, or even a housekeeper in other people's homes. My sister did housekeeping years ago, and within a short time she was hiring housekeepers and had started a business. It was very lucrative.
There is always another option.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:43 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
She'd be better off becoming an in home caregiver, or even a housekeeper in other people's homes. My sister did housekeeping years ago, and within a short time she was hiring housekeepers and had started a business. It was very lucrative.
There is always another option.
Yes, but that takes time. What does she do NOW?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM

269 posts, read 574,954 times
that's what businesses are there for, isn't it? to make money for their owners or investors? there's nothing greedy about it, if they are taking the risks, then they should get the rewards too. Businesses are not there for charity, and as consumers, one has the right to choose where their hard earned money should be spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I'm sorry but a 2.5-3 star hotel or better charges enough they should have decently paid housekeeping staff. It is absolutely ridiculous how greedy some of these damn chains are.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
If her job was set up like a contractors, then there was nothing illegal about it.... Immoral, yes...But not illegal....

A lot of places call it Fee Basis... You are told that whatever job you are doing is going to be paid xx amount per piece or by the hour, and you will take care of the taxes and other things that would normally come out of your paycheck (SSN, Medicare, etc)...

So her job was basically $4 per room....

Old 10-28-2016, 03:42 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
I worked in the hotel industry and housekeepers are the hardest workers, but the least respected. It's very demanding work. I helped out on occasion and the amount of cleaning in a short amount of time is daunting. Just don't expect a room to be perfectly clean when you check in, even in high-end hotels.

But $4 per room is unreasonable, especially if it's a check-out versus a stayover. I think I know what chain is being referenced, and believe me, they can afford why more than $4 per room.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
My wife worked at a certain hotel. They told her she would not receive an hourly wage but be paid $4 for every room she cleaned. She quit after the second day, but is that legal?
Instead of asking a bunch of keyboard commandos, call your state labor commission and ask them.

lets us know what they say.

bill

Old 10-28-2016, 04:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
If her job was set up like a contractors, then there was nothing illegal about it.... Immoral, yes...But not illegal....

A lot of places call it Fee Basis... You are told that whatever job you are doing is going to be paid xx amount per piece or by the hour, and you will take care of the taxes and other things that would normally come out of your paycheck (SSN, Medicare, etc)...

So her job was basically $4 per room....
There are very specific laws concerning piece work and hiring contractors, not sure this is legal, that's why I recommend the op contact the labor commission.

bill

Last edited by roadrat; 10-28-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Okay, I used to work in a hotel, and while I did not clean the rooms, I was a runner...way back when I was in college. The housekeeping staff at a large well known hotel had 30 minutes to clean each room. So $4 per room at 30 minutes per room, and that includes bathroom, main room, taking out trash, etc (trust me, they teach you how to clean fast...I got to follow them around to learn how before I became a runner...some stuff I still use to this day), is $8/hour. Horrible pay for such physical work, but if they aren't in a state with higher min wage, then it's legal.

Keep in mind, no hotel is going to pay you a lot of money to clean a room. As stated, they teach you some tricks to clean rooms fast...and it's always why I tell people: When you get to a hotel, call down and ask for a new blanket and a new bedspread I'm not kidding, even in high end hotels they don't change them between people...how to make beds super fast (even if they did change the blanket and comforter, you can still make it way faster than you might think), but the fact remains: It is not a job that requires a lot of intelligence. You simply need to follow what they tell you in how to clean, get it done in 30 minutes or less, move on to the next one.

Think about this: Yeah, $4 a room, but she may clean 10-20 rooms that day. You want to do that every day? I wouldn't. That's very physically demanding after awhile. You think $8 an hour is worth it? Is she completely incapable of finding anything else? Is she desperate for a job? If she is, take it, keep looking for better. This is entry level work...entry level in to the work force work. Meaning, this is the kind of job you get if you're just starting working.

In the hotel we were in, almost all of the housekeepers were from Korea or the Philippines. Most of them were older. Many of them were either married to an American, or they were on work visas. They didn't pay taxes so they got to keep every penny they earned, but man did they work for that pittance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment