Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:39 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,341,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
There are very specific laws concerning pieces work and hiring contractors, not sure this is legal, that's why I recommend the op contact the labor commission.

bill
Sure, doesn't hurt to check, but I highly doubt that a big chain hasn't carefully structured their system to be in full compliance with the letter of the law based on the opinion of their legal counsel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 PM

30,497 posts, read 23,940,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
As a former hotel industry person, $4 a room legal or not is a joke. Housekeeping often extends beyond cleaning rooms and there should be an hourly wage. Was this a big hotel or a small no tell motel?

The things sometimes left behind by some guests would shock you if you knew. Many cases of poop, yes I said poop being left behind in places other then then the toilet.
Oh my God, don't even get me started on some of the stories. I took the job while I was in my first year of college so I could afford to eat and pay rent while going to school. You do what you have to do, right? This one day, during the summer when I was working full days, I had to help someone out cleaning rooms because one of them was so. fricken. nasty.

I had to get the o-zone machine. It was one time we changed out every last thing in that room that we could. I remember that I could see my apartment from this hotel, and I was on the side where the windows faced my street. I looked at my apartment window, looked at the disgusting room, and pondered wth I was doing with my life. It was that gross, that it didn't matter that I had just completed my first year of college after serving my country, to me, I still wasn't successful enough that I had to help clean that disturbing mess. I sat on the edge of the bed and cried because I did not want to clean up some of the stuff left behind, gloves or not. It was so. fricken. gross!! GROSS! People are disgusting!

Old 10-28-2016, 04:44 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,341,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
I agree. It could take 30 minutes just to clean the bathroom. You still have to change linens, vacuum, take out trash, wipe up messes left on table tops etc.
It could. Or it could, if it was a room I just left, take less than 5 minutes to do the whole room. I've been on a lot of overnight business stays where I got in the room at 10pm and was gone by 6am, doing nothing but sleep. Or if I was there a few days I usually leave a $5 bill on the desk as a tip.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,756,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sure, doesn't hurt to check, but I highly doubt that a big chain hasn't carefully structured their system to be in full compliance with the letter of the law based on the opinion of their legal counsel.
You can't be too sure. A college roommate's friend was working housekeeping in one of those big chains and we were just shocked about what we'd hear was going on in that hotel. The quality seemed awful and the working conditions were also appalling. It just seemed impossible that a large, well-known chain would allow such nonsense. It turns out it didn't and once it got wind of what was going on, it stripped the hotel of the chain affiliation.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:04 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,030,844 times
Quote:
As a former hotel industry person, $4 a room legal or not is a joke. Housekeeping often extends beyond cleaning rooms and there should be an hourly wage. Was this a big hotel or a small no tell motel?

The things sometimes left behind by some guests would shock you if you knew. Many cases of poop, yes I said poop being left behind in places other then then the toilet.
That ( poop) isn't the worse.

I worked with a huge guy.......married..no kids..........who said when he and the wife travel the motel room better be perfect.

If it isn 't , he said he leaves " his signature " all over.
He then made a masturbation gesture

I feel sorry for the room cleaners.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,212,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
That ( poop) isn't the worse.

I worked with a huge guy.......married..no kids..........who said when he and the wife travel the motel room better be perfect.

If it isn 't , he said he leaves " his signature " all over.
He then made a masturbation gesture

I feel sorry for the room cleaners.
The most normal seeming people can engage is some ghastly acts, either out of spite, intoxication, mental illness or a fetish of some kind. Some feel it's their way of giving the finger to society and they lash out. It's certainly not everyone and it's the minority. Most guests were fine the ones that went wild often got drunk and lost property or got into some other jam, where I often helped them out. Times I stayed in the rooms overnight due to bad weather I would think " I wonder what has occurred in this room in the past."

Saw more then one report involving poop, violence and other nastiness. It's unfortunate for those who deal with the aftermath.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 PM

13,171 posts, read 21,199,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
There are very specific laws concerning piece work and hiring contractors, not sure this is legal, that's why I recommend the op contact the labor commission.
Yep, it's also not based only on some per room pay, but how the employer calculated the per room. They just can't say $X per room (unless it's a generous rate) without being able to prove that the average housekeeper they employ can clean enough rooms within a single one hour period to exceed minimum wage. And, that includes the moment the person is working to they end working, not just when they enter and exit a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What the corporate office establishes and what the actual property does in practice, are not always the same.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:07 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,241,272 times
Quote:

One reason I would never get in a hotel bathtub.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:52 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,241,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
well two rooms and hour equals $8 and hour, so yes. Do 3 and thats $12!
If it was a hotel where people were coming for vacation and staying for days cleaning a stay and making the bed should take no more than 15 minutes. Many people also leave tips.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:01 AM

12,335 posts, read 17,212,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
One reason I would never get in a hotel bathtub.
You indeed should stick to the shower. One of the reports I saw from management involved the bathtub. Many hotels have the ADA compliment batgrooms where its just a shower in the room no tub.

Earler this year I had to stay overnight due to that snowstorm and stayed in a room I shared (Not one he same night) with a coworker. Great guy I knew for years but found a sandwich on the windowsill just sitting there and the bath towel was left on the floor with stains (ugh yellow ones) on it. You never know with people. Glad it wasnt worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment