Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 11:55 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It was pretty common to have the sheriff show up to bring a close to our dept picnics. Lots of punches being thrown.

One evening, one of our janitors showed up on horseback packing his six-shooters.

"Send Hank (the boss) out here, we have a score to settle!"

Honestly, I'm surprised idiot managers did not get 'offed', but I would recommend they leave the region for their retirement longevity. I clearly remember (2) departing employees (each with over 30 yrs service) exclaim... "I better NEVER meet up with that manager again!". They each vowed to NEVER return to our workplace, even tho it was the only branch of our credit union for 1200 miles. (Long before internet banking). Unfortunately, these were very personable and social employees who had great relationships with coworkers and credit union staff. It was just that manager who soured the entire pot. Each and everyday, being demeaning, threatening, caustic and breeding strife in the workforce. Yes, the same one who loudly and publically exclaimed each and everyday when we (2) arrived for evening shift... "Only axe murderers and alcoholics work night shift... Here come mine."
I sometimes fantasize about running into ex-bosses at dinner. "Accidently" spill some red wine on those nice clothes, maybe a marinara incident.

Nope.

I would NEVER do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 04:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,348 times
I have been working for almost 40 years, most of that in a Management / Professional role. I have seen a fair number of arguements but rarely seen workplace issues rise to actual physical violence, but was in the middle of those situations back in the 90's.

I was a Group Leader on afternoon shift and I and my team were just coming in to start our shift. One of the senior techs on days saw one of my team and insulted him, accusing him of stealing some gum she had left out at her workstation (note we shared workstations between the shifts). He denied it, then she called him a racial slur. He called her one in response. This caused her to immediately run at him throwing punches and cussing up a storm.

I stepped in before any punches landed and separated them. About that time, one of my team, who was good friends with the day shift worker, spoke up, telling her he had taken the gum after she had previously told him it was ok.

The dayshift worker was suspended for a day (no punches had landed) and had to make a public apology. My team member also had to issue an apology for the racial slur he can responded with.

It is crazy how some normally good, hard working people can behave when at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment