Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,757,962 times

Advertisements

"Thank you for your interest in working for.....?

Almost everyone right? That was the first sentence of the email I received from HR for the state job I interviewed for last week and I almost deleted it because it looked like it was going to say I wasn't selected and all that other rejection nonsense. But I continue to read and it lead to "And I am please to extend to you a conditional offer of employment contingent upon a successful background check"

Never thought a offer of employment with start with Thank you So now the wait begins for the background check to be complete which should be this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
Congrats.

As for the question - anecdotally. I can't think of a time where an offer was pending and it wasn't communicated by phone first. Typically for me, there are additional details that are discussed and will be on the offer letter.

So yea, if I just got an email with that opening, my initial thought would definitely be that they are moving on.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
I've also never received an email before a phone call about a job offer.

But that sentence alone doesn't sound bad at all to start an email.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,246,615 times
I think that is very common.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Congrats! That IS good news.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Congrats! That IS good news.
Now just waiting for background check to be completed.I was informed by HR i will be contacted by phone or email after the background check is done. Im thinking by phone once everything comes back fine and by email if its not successful.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Congrats.

As for the question - anecdotally. I can't think of a time where an offer was pending and it wasn't communicated by phone first. Typically for me, there are additional details that are discussed and will be on the offer letter.

So yea, if I just got an email with that opening, my initial thought would definitely be that they are moving on.
im thinking they will provide more details once the background check is successful. The only information i have as of now is the starting salary

Old 07-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I've also never received an email before a phone call about a job offer.

But that sentence alone doesn't sound bad at all to start an email.
This is for a state job and all their communication so far has been by email. The interview was scheduled by email and now the conditional offer.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:47 AM

10,614 posts, read 12,149,758 times
LOTS and LOTS of people, maybe even most people, don't know how to write.

That acceptance letter was poorly written. There is no reason in the world to start that kind of letter the way that email began. In the news business it's called "burying the lead."

Instead, get to the meat of what the letter is about. What's the news it's really meant to convey. Cut to the chase.
It could have started:

-- Congratulations. You've been chosen for the XYZ position for which you recently interviewed....OR ....
-- This email is to inform you that you have been selected for the XYZ position for which you applied.

After any other info -- for example "you will be contacted in a few days," or "please call....", etc., the letter could close out with: "Thank you for your interest in ABC company."

Alas, with so many poor writers out there, it doesn't surprise me that the email was written the way it was.

Congrats OP you got the gig -- and DIDN"T delete the email.....that's what matters.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
LOTS and LOTS of people, maybe even most people, don't know how to write.

That acceptance letter was poorly written. There is no reason in the world to start that kind of letter the way that email began. In the news business it's called "burying the lead."

Instead, get to the meat of what the letter is about. What's the news it's really meant to convey. Cut to the chase.
It could have started:

-- Congratulations. You've been chosen for the XYZ position for which you recently interviewed....OR ....
-- This email is to inform you that you have been selected for the XYZ position for which you applied.

After any other info -- for example "you will be contacted in a few days," or "please call....", etc., the letter could close out with: "Thank you for your interest in ABC company."

Alas, with so many poor writers out there, it doesn't surprise me that the email was written the way it was.

Congrats OP you got the gig -- and DIDN"T delete the email.....that's what matters.

Thanks, I was sure that I wasn't the only one who would have thought that was a rejection letter. And like you said the email should have started with Congratulations not Thank You. The third sentence started with "I am pleased to offer you a conditional offer of employment which should have been the first sentence. I'm also old enough to know what this statements means from HR regarding the background check

"We will contact you by phone or email once the background is completed"

Phone and Email...successful background

Email....unsuccessful background

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment