Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 AM

144 posts, read 129,794 times

Advertisements

...there is no position currently available?

A former co-worker from my company feels I would be a good fit at his new company. He has gone so far as to help arrange a meeting between his VP and me later this month. The only caveat is that there are no open positions at the moment. Of course this still presents a great opportunity to network, but how do I approach this meeting or interview when no hiring is imminent?

Last edited by LivingInAmerica; 07-12-2019 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 AM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post

A former co-worker from my company feels I would be a good fit at his new company. He has gone so far as to help arrange a meeting between his VP and me later this month. The only caveat is that there are no open positions at the moment. Of course this still presents a great opportunity to network, but how do I approach this meeting or interview when no hiring is imminent?
FWIW, never having been in this situation I think I'd approach the meeting more as a social event, a more casual conversational introduction of what the COMPANY is all about, who HE is, and then who I am...focusing on those qualities the co-worker thought might be of interest to him. I'd have a resume handy but not necessarily present it until asked for it. Not pushy or broaching details of potential positions, just pleasant and general. If he's interested he'll do something about it.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times
Quote:

It’s an amazing networking opportunity. Are you looking for work or already at another job?

If the latter it’s a much easier meeting...your co-worker gushed about the new company and you were interested to learn more.

If the meeting is for coffee there are no hard expectations, if it’s in an interview room then that’s different

Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,922,864 times
Very few jobs are filled by companies looking at resumes that are sent in online. Just because a job isn't formally posted doesn't mean one isn't available. They could definitely have a job available and are just exhausting all sources (ie, networking) before posting the position online.

Networking, getting people to know who you are and what you can do is how most jobs are filled. It's by far preferable to fill a job through that kind of channel than it is to take blind applications from a website.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:02 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,344,082 times
Quote:

It's an opportunity for you to evaluate whether you'll fit into their org and it's an opportunity for them to evaluate you.

If I were you, I would develop a list of questions with that goal in mind.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,160,219 times
Quote:

...Approach it well-prepared, as if a real interview, yet more relaxed. I'd add the caveat to consider you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain in such a situation. Almost every interview I've entered with that sort of relaxed yet highly-prepared and confident attitude has led to an offer. Not all, but most. Go figure.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,307,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
...Approach it well-prepared, as if a real interview, yet more relaxed. I'd add the caveat to consider you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain in such a situation. Almost every interview I've entered with that sort of relaxed yet highly-prepared and confident attitude has led to an offer. Not all, but most. Go figure.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Since there is no opening, you don't need to worry about blowing it. You can go in completely relaxed, although don't go barefoot. I've also gotten an offer almost every time I've been super relaxed about an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment