Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:08 PM

22,256 posts, read 19,253,131 times

Advertisements

i tried four 10-hour days work schedule, and it was too exhausting. So I don't like it.

My favorite schedule was a 5-4-9, which was every other Friday off, and working 9-hour days (Mon-Fri, Mon-Thur) with one of those being an 8-hour day instead. I love that schedule. Because there are enough holidays that combined with the 5-4-9 schedule, i had lots of 4 day weekends without the exhaustion of 10-hour days.

tack on a couple of days leave and it was easy to get a week off at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 06:21 AM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Great to you guys who have been able to have some relief w/ your schedules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Nurse at a hospital. It's actually 12 hours.

And you're likely to get hired if you want those hours.

Probably not going to be what you expect, but ... go for it.

My jobs don't work that way. One of them is only open 10 hrs a day, I think, so I could try to see about 4 10's, but I doubt the boss will do it. It's just a few of us in that position & just myself & 2 higher-ups in the summer mos.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:10 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,709,041 times
Many F1000 companies have an informal version of this, accept it's more like 4, 8 hour days, followed by a half day friday.

I officially have half day Fridays, as well as no meeting Fridays and unlimited vacation. Informally, we don't have to work on Friday if we feel caught up. So most of us passively check emails/IM's and start the weekend early. It's great. Thursday feels like Friday. We hit up the neighborhood pool at 2:30 when the kids get home from school. Productivity is up, not down. Definitely a part of our future in many industries and jobs become more efficient and more mental in nature

Old 08-12-2022, 09:13 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My jobs don't work that way. One of them is only open 10 hrs a day, I think, so I could try to see about 4 10's, but I doubt the boss will do it. It's just a few of us in that position & just myself & 2 higher-ups in the summer mos.
Retail does longer shifts too.

There's a big difference between coverage jobs and productivity measured jobs.

If it was a laid back coverage job, I'd probably want 4-10s too.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:44 AM

993 posts, read 547,300 times
We started prior to COVID. 4 10s. Love it. Take a Monday off now I've got a 4 day weekend to drive down to SoCal and go to the beach. It's common in my industry or at the very least 4 9s and a 4hr day on Friday.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:10 AM

178 posts, read 116,323 times
My official weekly hours, to start with, are 35 hours/week (7 hours a day). Regardless, I am employing my brain that cannot just turn on and off on the clock. Therefore, it is specifically written in the internal rules that we don't have set times during the day, - just overall 35 hours should be reported.

This is all to say that I consider myself having a "latent" 4 day-week. If I feel I pushed my brain close to 10-12 hours Mon-Wed or Thu, I am slacking off on Fri. All of this of course implies a 100% remote job.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:18 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,300,376 times
I work 4-shift rotation... Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday one week...

Wednesday, Thursday the next week.

I like it, when I can avoid any overtime, which I try to do whenever possible as I live fairly minimalist.

I like having off during the week, I like never having to work more than 3 days at a time. I get long breaks, and no unpaid lunch break, so my 12 hour shifts are 12 hours, not 12.5 hours... that saves me 30 minutes each day over the "unpaid lunch" scam employers pull.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:39 AM

349 posts, read 244,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i tried four 10-hour days work schedule, and it was too exhausting. So I don't like it.

My favorite schedule was a 5-4-9, which was every other Friday off, and working 9-hour days (Mon-Fri, Mon-Thur) with one of those being an 8-hour day instead. I love that schedule. Because there are enough holidays that combined with the 5-4-9 schedule, i had lots of 4 day weekends without the exhaustion of 10-hour days.

tack on a couple of days leave and it was easy to get a week off at a time.
I did that for several years at my old fed job! Except I took every other Monday off, and the Friday before (payday) was my 8 hour day (so left early before my 3 day weekend). I loved with those Monday holidays fall on my compressed day, I’d get a 4 day weekend! The extra hour for 8 days a pay period wasn’t too noticeable, most of the time. I ended up going back to a regular schedule when we had to work overtime, so I could keep my weekends, but I did enjoy it.

Currently I work at a nonprofit where I have a phone shift so any type of compressed schedule wouldn’t work. But if I had a different role with no phone shift, i’d consider a compressed schedule. Though getting off at 4pm every day is nice…

Old 08-13-2022, 06:45 AM

6,468 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Over an almost 40 year career, with a large corporation, I worked a number of different schedules. Each one had it's benefits as well as it's down side. One of the departments that I worked in, tried the 4-10 schedule, but for me I thought it was a drag. Why?

Our normal start time was 6AM. A bit early, however, you were on the road, heading for work when traffic was very light. When we were working the "normal" 5-8 schedule, that meant that we'd be leaving work at 2:30PM, a solid hour before the traffic density would be ramping up, which was good. But on the 4-10 schedule, our quitting time was 4:30PM, putting us out right in the thick of "rush hour", and that flat out sucked, big time, especially in the winter.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:56 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times
I do four 10s. Off every Friday.
LOVE it!

And for about 10 weeks I was able to take leave on Mondays, and during that time had Mondays AND Fridays off, so worked only T, W, Th -- with a four day weekend F- M.

Loved THAT even more.
So much so that IF I were to ever work part-time in retirement, I'd only commit to working T, W, Th. Oh my word, a four-day weekend every week was so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment