Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 03:11 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I understand that. It's seniority based where I am, so people get stuck on certain shifts for years before people retire and they can essentially "move up" to a better schedule. Though some people really like overnights. When I was low on the list, I would end the week on an overnight shift and start the following week at 5am. Not ideal, but worth it if you could stick it out for a few years.
The year I graduated high school, 1970, I had a summer job at a local GM plant, and they ran 3 shifts, around the clock. However, they didn't rotate, they more or less operated like you describe, where you get hired, have zero seniority, so you get stuck on the least liked shift, which happened to be the "4 to midnight shift", until you could move up to the "day" shift. Ironically, the midnight shift was the most desired, but I suspect that was because a lot of "nap time" took place.

A couple of years later, I was hired into a "work/college co-op deal", at another business, and worked days for a couple of years, and went to school in the evening. Later on, I was assigned to an area that worked 3 shifts. After struggling with around the clock rotations, I managed to get into an assignment that allowed me to work a "straight shift", although it was the midnight shift. At least it didn't involve rotating, so I could establish a steady work/sleep schedule. I worked this for about 5 years, and actually got really used to it.

Unfortunately, things changed, and I wound up on a varied schedule of shifts, for several years, and that was when I almost quit. Fortunately, I eventually got a real break, and got re-assigned to an area that just worked days, and I finished the last 15 years of my career working days......lots of OT, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 08:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
Three day vaca for life crew checking in.

Legit made eye contact with a guy working Friday, I knew he was dead inside

Old 08-24-2022, 01:54 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Just curious, who's been working 4 days a week for quite a while now, like way before COVID? I know they've spoken about 4-day work weeks for a long time. I wish they'd actually DO IT! Will they ever?

To those who have been, what kind of work do you do if you care to share? Feel free to say any other comments. (We know teachers aren't one of them.)

Sure would be nice to ALWAYS have a 3-day weekend because 2 days is just not enough. 3 days actually feels like you've had a rest!

My son works for Comcast with a 4 day work week schedule, he walks out the door to his van at 8:30am, comes home anywhere from 7:30 to later. He's off Sunday to Tuesday which has worked out well. If he needs to go somewhere for the weekend, he takes Saturday off, sometimes both Friday and Saturday. I think he wouldn't mind working the morning on a Friday but once he's out there he could get tied up.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:47 PM

179 posts, read 149,673 times
I used to work in construction, long hours in summer if weather allows. I got a desk job and have been working 4-10's (6 am-4:30 pm) since I left construction in 1997. Since I was used to working 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week, 4-10's seemed pretty easy. I have to work an occasional Friday, but I don't enjoy it. Pre-covid, it afforded me one less day of driving into a metro area which was always a plus.

I think if I was used to 8 hour days, 10 might seem a stretch. I had one employee who worked 4-9's and 8 hours every other Monday; every other week she got a 3 day weekend. After she got used to 9's, she bumped to 4-10s. It's great to have the flexibility to do this.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:29 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Great guys!

Although I don't work 4 days/week, one of my jobs is a pretty good schedule, so almost the next best thing: M - F 5 AM - 1 PM

Old 09-29-2022, 08:51 AM

54 posts, read 33,113 times
I’ve been doing 12 hour shifts in healthcare. I live far from work so by the time I can get home into bed after traffic, I’m not getting enough sleep. It kind of is tiring, but those 3-4 days off in a row are worth it. I am leaving my position because the hours were too inconvenient traffic wise (4am-4:30pm). My new position will be 12 hours from 6:30am to 7:00pm. I’m excited.

Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 AM

448 posts, read 282,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The year I graduated high school, 1970, I had a summer job at a local GM plant... <snipped> ...Ironically, the midnight shift was the most desired, but I suspect that was because a lot of "nap time" took place.
Midnight shift likely has the highest shift premium as well.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:20 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
My company offered 1/2 day off every other Friday. During the week that we were expecting to get our 1/2 day Friday, we had to put in four 9 hour days and 4 hours on Friday. However, about 50%-70% of the time, we couldn't take our 1/2 day off on Friday due to business needs or last minute absences by other team members which meant we ended up getting screwed out of the 1/2 day and putting in a 44 hour work week.

Sometimes policies sound great but there's always a fly in the ointment.

These policies work better when the job isn't urgent and the work can wait until Monday. In my field (can't say due to confidentiality), coverage was needed until EOB on Fridays. We had teams where each person was responsible for certain accounts and had only 1 backup. If the back up called out or was on vacation on your 1/2 day Friday, then you were stuck staying over to cover the account. You couldn't switch your 1/2 day to another week either. The schedule was cut in stone for each person to rotate every other week. I blame the employees who abused it and didn't respect other people's 1/2 days.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:10 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
It's October 2023.

I'm about to start a job w/ a 4-day, 10-hour schedule...never officially worked a job w/ this as their regular shift before in my life for any job so this will be interesting to see how it will feel. I LOVE the idea, so I can always have 3 days off a week guaranteed, so I hope I love it like I think I will! It's going to be sitting down the ENTIRE time, so I'm going to have to make sure I get up & stretch often.

(That time I mentioned about working 3-day, 13-hrs was short-lived & not consistently every week. That was also a combo of 2 jobs in a day.)

Anyone else & if so, how do you like it? Any other comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment