Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:25 AM

9,457 posts, read 8,437,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Yes -- this is fairly common also in the private sector. The poster upthread who has (three!) concurrent full-time jobs, if s/he signed a CoI agreement, may be risking a fraud complaint, to include felony fraud.

Not saying it would come to that, but it's skating on thin ice IMO.
FELONY??? Where in the world do you come up with that??? It's absolutely not a crime to hold multiple jobs and even if it was, it would definitely not be a FELONY.

I actually laughed out loud at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 07:28 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,099,306 times
Are these holders of multiple remote jobs also posting on City-Data during the workday? Talk about multitasking!

Old 11-02-2023, 07:33 AM

12,888 posts, read 9,127,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
FELONY??? Where in the world do you come up with that??? It's absolutely not a crime to hold multiple jobs and even if it was, it would definitely not be a FELONY.

It's not about holding multiple jobs. It's about charging two or more companies for labor not provided because you were working for someone else at the same time. Let's say you work 8-4 for company A and 5-12 for company B. Not a crime. But change that to working 8-4 for both A and B and charging both for the same 8 hours -- different story. Put it in simple terms. Suppose you hire a plumber to work on your house. Instead he works on someone else's house and charges you for it. You wouldn't agree to that would you?

Old 11-02-2023, 08:00 AM

146 posts, read 88,318 times
Quote:

Some of these people have been so brainwashed to mindlessly follow strict rules in their life, going back to grade school, that they believe that purposely bending the rules a bit to benefit oneself is abhorrent and must be illegal in some way.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not about holding multiple jobs. It's about charging two or more companies for labor not provided because you were working for someone else at the same time. Let's say you work 8-4 for company A and 5-12 for company B. Not a crime. But change that to working 8-4 for both A and B and charging both for the same 8 hours -- different story. Put it in simple terms. Suppose you hire a plumber to work on your house. Instead he works on someone else's house and charges you for it. You wouldn't agree to that would you?
I'm not questioning whether it's right or wrong, the poster above stated it is a FELONY to hold multiple jobs simultaneously, which is absolutely 100% false.

Also, your example of a plumber is not at all what holding two jobs is. If you have two jobs and get both jobs done well, there is no issue. A plumber cannot be in two places at the same time and would not charge someone for work that did not get done. Huge difference.

I held two jobs several years ago. Did well at both jobs and was actually promoted with both jobs. Both were normal 9-5 working hours. I am exceptionally good at my job and work diligently and don't waste time. I'd take one employee like me vs. the sloths who take 5X as long to do the same work I do any day of the week. I could care less about the "time" that person is supposed to be working as long as they get their job done and do it well.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:13 AM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here is the difference. My employer is not paying me for 8 hours; or any hours, really. My employer is paying me for a scope of work with the expectation to meet the deadlines provided. Whether I am able to do that in one hour or thirty, that's on me.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Here is the difference. My employer is not paying me for 8 hours; or any hours, really. My employer is paying me for a scope of work with the expectation to meet the deadlines provided. Whether I am able to do that in one hour or thirty, that's on me.
Bingo!

Old 11-02-2023, 08:22 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,244,975 times
Quote:
I'm not questioning whether it's right or wrong, the poster above stated it is a FELONY to hold multiple jobs simultaneously, which is absolutely 100% false.

Also, your example of a plumber is not at all what holding two jobs is. If you have two jobs and get both jobs done well, there is no issue. A plumber cannot be in two places at the same time and would not charge someone for work that did not get done. Huge difference.

I held two jobs several years ago. Did well at both jobs and was actually promoted with both jobs. Both were normal 9-5 working hours. I am exceptionally good at my job and work diligently and don't waste time. I'd take one employee like me vs. the sloths who take 5X as long to do the same work I do any day of the week. I could care less about the "time" that person is supposed to be working as long as they get their job done and do it well.
Not what I stated. Please re-read. This is about the SAME billable hours being billed to two or three companies, NOT different billable hours.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:26 PM

12,888 posts, read 9,127,934 times
Quote:

This discussion is not about holding two jobs. It's about billing the same hours to two different companies. I already said if you're working different jobs at different times, that's ok. There is a difference between working two jobs and double billing.

Old 11-02-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Not what I stated. Please re-read. This is about the SAME billable hours being billed to two or three companies, NOT different billable hours.
Is it? You replied directly to this message:

I work for a local government. We have a conflict of interest policy where we have to disclose second jobs.

I don't see how that has anything to do with billable hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment