Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 07:11 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Another part is the industry built around those businesses. Restaraunts, bars, parking, etc are all losing money with wfh.
If it were really a serious problem, wouldn't those businesses move to the suburbs? Since when do businesses keep their shops in a place they know will lose money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 10:05 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If it were really a serious problem, wouldn't those businesses move to the suburbs? Since when do businesses keep their shops in a place they know will lose money?
I was commenting on the push for workers back to the office. If you want to discuss business practices then this is probably the wrong thread. I have no opinion beyond what was posted.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Another part is the industry built around those businesses. Restaraunts, bars, parking, etc are all losing money with wfh.
Maybe I'm weird, but I want to get out after being alone in the house all day.

I could easily go from Monday to Friday night without seeing another human being. I tend to eat lunch at the house unless I have an errand, but I usually go out for dinner. I had to go into the office to pick up a new computer yesterday. I ate out before I left for the 90 mile ride back home. My girlfriend will be here Friday night, so we'll go to eat then.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:49 PM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
I took a job during Covid,only bc it was remote. Original plans were to return that summer to the office and then they decided the job would be perman. remote. My division, even with their new hires, is strictly remote, and they had another department eventually fill in the office space. If my job ever went back, I would quit same day as the environment is extremely unprofessional "so I heard" and the commute is not worth the pay. I am looking to leave by the summer and NOT work remote ever again!

Last edited by HeyYa80s; 03-28-2023 at 01:14 PM..

Old 03-28-2023, 01:05 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
I took a job during Covid ,only bc it was remote. Original plans were to return that summer to the office and then they decided the job would be perman. remote. My division, even with their new hires, is strictly remote, and they had another department eventually fill in the office space. If my job ever went back, I would quit same day as the environment is extremely unprofessional "so I heard" and the commute is not worth the pay. I am looking to leave by the summer and NOT work remote ever again!
I took a job in January for a county government in a very desirable, expensive area in western NC.

I've been casually looking for homes in that market, but even though I could go to up about $250k, a SFH in the city limits that doesn't need a lot of work is going to be nearly impossible to come by. Townhomes/condos do open up more options, but it's not going to be anything fancy.

I doubt I would have taken the job if it was full-time onsite. The pay, while good for the region, is tough with the local COL now. We do have to live within two hours of the office.

We just hired a guy who was living in upstate NY. He's a grade below me, so makes about $10k less than I do. He does have a girlfriend, but their rent is about $1300/month. I have no idea if she's working or not yet. I'd imagine they are tight if she's not.

I think it would be hard to attract people on a government salary at that COL. Yes, it's good pay for the area, but less than multinationals or what you could make onsite in Charlotte. I could see a big RTO causing a lot of people to look. 3/4 of my team were hired since they went remote during COVID. I live about an hour and a half from the office. Another colleague is about an hour away in another direction.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:17 PM

401 posts, read 275,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
LOL, you mean the "team-building" exercises? The most awful thing was him constantly hanging around, sticking his head in our doors, and stalking the halls; also the enforced family-style potlucks with him at the head of the table like he was the dad of all of us (attendance was mandatory).

I actually would've been more than happy to return to the office full-time, even though it really wasn't necessary, had I not been needed at home at that particular time. That's the irony of the whole thing!
Was that your boss doing that? That sounds like my ultimate hell on earth. Even worst then the "team building" video game nights at one of my old jobs, (after hours may I add), that some guy trying to get brownie points used to put together

Old 03-28-2023, 04:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
Was that your boss doing that? That sounds like my ultimate hell on earth. Even worst then the "team building" video game nights at one of my old jobs, (after hours may I add), that some guy trying to get brownie points used to put together
That and the "Awesome Team Player" certificates he used to hand out with our favorite treats (he polled us when he took the job). Funny; I never got one of those?

Old 03-29-2023, 09:00 AM

9,069 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you can run the place using, say, 20% of your office space - that's savings waiting to happen.

Part of the push to end WFH in the public debate is from people who are heavily invested in business property and who stand to lose billions.
Viewing the pre-COVID work arrangements as the ideal situation to appease the commercial real estate market is infuriating.

Quote:
I have always used my discretionary spending to support the place I CHOOSE to make my home. I have always avoided discretionary spending around my former workplaces where I was FORCED to go in order to secure an income stream.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:05 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I'll WFH 1 maybe 2 days a week. I don't mind going in as the traffic is noticeably lighter on my particular commute route.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:27 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That and the "Awesome Team Player" certificates he used to hand out with our favorite treats (he polled us when he took the job). Funny; I never got one of those?
"Reward your team with something printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, rather than by a laser printer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment