Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 11:02 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,826,124 times

Advertisements

I am 50, you and I are both young. Don't let age stop you, you can get into a career without getting another degree. That said, 99% of us aren't thrilled with our jobs. Really, it's about the people. I can have a crappy job but if I like the people, it's enjoyable (and vice versa). Having a bad boss IS bad for your health. Look for something different OP.

Life is hard, up and down. We should be grateful for what we have and recognize it every single day.

Sending you good karma. Best of luck brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 11:22 AM

6,722 posts, read 5,971,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Sounds like this boss/job is sucking the life out of you. I've been extremely fortunate to never have an a-hole boss like that.

If you want to stay in your industry, I'd start networking a lot. Are there any other jobs in the company with a different boss that you could apply for? Do you have any contacts with competitors?

You could also start a side hustle and see if you can build that up to a full time job.

You might have skills that are transferable to a related field. You can make a list of all of your marketable skills. Talking to a placement agency that can give you more ideas.

If you do leave the company, I'd talk to your boss' boss and let him/her know why you are leaving and why others have left. Document everything in writing so it doesn't sound like you are just complaining.
That's some really good advice right there.

You might try moonlighting i.e. working a part time job nights and weekends, for example fast food, grocery store, driving/delivery (Uber/Lyft, Uber Eats, InstaCart, Amazon Delivery, etc.). Most of these will pay okay if not great, but it will give a little buffer in case you either have to quit for your mental health or the boss-from-hell fires you.

The Post Office seems to always be looking for carriers; again, not great pay, but it's something you don't need a degree to do, just have to be trustworthy, physically able, clean record, etc.

With your humanities degree, you could look into substitute teaching. Depending on the state, you may only need a college degree, or even a high school degree in some places. Other states require you to take an exam. You'll be in a stimulating environment with lots of crazy kids, and a bunch of teachers who can help you get into the profession.

Just some ideas. Good luck & let us know what you decide.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:34 AM

63 posts, read 41,143 times
Thank you for all your thoughtful replies. I should have also said we are a very small organisation, now there's only 3 of us including him and there's no HR dept obviously, although we have outsourced the HR so there is someone potentially I could talk to but I'm not sure how that would even work or if that's even a good idea at this stage. There is the board of directors but again I'm not comfortable approaching them at this stage. If this was a large company with a HR dept then it would be far more manageable.

@G-fused thanks, you're right, a bad boss can really affect you and it is for me. I think there are phases, sometimes they're ok and then the anxiety and stresses eases for a while but because they're so unpredictable they'll find something to attack you over when you're least expecting it and it'll be enough to trigger me down a spiral of bad thoughts and feelings.

@blisterpeanuts, there are some options sure, I think coming from a family of medical doctors I always put pressure on myself and felt I had to be something special on that level or near enough, like a pilot or lawyer etc. But as time and the years went by and I still didn't come to a decision, I kinda of just ended up doing random jobs and that's been my life now.
I don't know perhaps my lifelong mild depression has prevented me from finding something interesting enough to pursue, so in the end I just fall into these casual jobs which I don't enjoy.

@Snackmaster, yes as others have said a side hustle is an option. I only got my driving license earlier this year and bought a car soon after and I really enjoy it, going for long drives etc. although I don't live in the US which would be amazing. So perhaps some kind of driving job, deliveries etc. I don't know.

@Vulcan, sorry to hear about the boss but as you say when you have a purpose or direction around what you want to do, that definitely helps. I don't have that...yet. Well infact as I've been saying I never have sadly. It would make all the difference. Everyone needs some kind of vision or a goal.

@catsmom21, so yes you know what's it like. Going from one great boss to a terrible one.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:11 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,488,508 times
I was going to suggest the gig side hustle as well, put that money away as it's always good to build your reserves. I'm glad you got the opportunity to travel, those memories will last a lifetime. But I would not take any more big trips, focus on your savings. I would also not give up on finding a mate, love can come at any point in your life and there are plenty of partners who don't judge by your income, they could be working too and between the 2 incomes that may be enough to support a family.

As for your current situation I was also thinking this new boss won't last long, especially if the person above does not like him. But this is a good job market, at least it is here in the States, so you should be able to find something comparable. Life's too short to be unhappy.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:17 AM

587 posts, read 315,123 times
I’m retired after 38 yrs with one company but 22 different jobs. I had several careers with the same company. Two smart things this company did was move most of us every coule of years. Same for bosses so a year typically is all I faced with same boss. A small organization is not for me in part due to your experience.

I believe anyone has flaws and areas to improve. I too am ocd and most in the company were too. Accepting criticism especially over small things is something hard to learn to take and apply. Look at large companies that move people regularly it keeps relationships and ideas of how to do things fresh. Also assume boss who criticizes small things like this one does is smart enough to recognize the big items are being done well. Take them in a gooD perspective and look for ways to continuously get better each day.

Look for a new company and best wishes to you.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:13 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,473,721 times
I would consider the advice of the others and choose which seems best for you.

However, I would also advise you to try to chill out in the meantime. This person is not targeting you. You mentioned your other co workers have left or are stressed out as well. He is Equal Opportunity. Just his style, or extreme lack of.

I would keep the job and either change your view of him and see it as his problem (just agree and say "thank you for bringing that to my attention") or move on if it is that stressful.

As one poster stated, you need a job to pay your bills. So consider your moves carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment