Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 07:42 AM

746 posts, read 417,867 times

Advertisements

I don't work that industry. I assume the managers frustration is due to the high turnover rate.

On a personal level, I can take a butt chewing, but if I am caught on the wrong day then I am known for biting back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 08:08 AM

7,906 posts, read 3,885,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
I eat out a lot, and nothing turns me off like a nasty manager yelling at staff. I absolutely will not return to a restaurant if I see that.

I'm eating breakfast, and there's this... manager woman.. I was thinking of using another word, but I don't want to get in trouble... and I saw this woman get right in front of the face of a waitress, yelling at her and making aggressive hand gestures. I just stared at her and she must have noticed because she looked at me for a second and had a mean facial expression.

I could feel my blood pressure rise. It just really bothers me to see workers mistreated. Part of that is because I had an abusive boss once and I passionately hated him. I have no tolerance or respect for abusive bosses.
I think you and I eat in different types of restaurants.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:11 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,328,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
This has nothing to do with the OP's topic. You sound like wanting to descend the OP.

The OP meant to point out the nasty manager. And he was resentful about that manager.

Such manager does not just appear in the restaurant business. Such appears everywhere, from high business types to the lower ones.

Many of my co-workers and I happened to experience two like that.

This woman was very tyrannical. When she first came, she had no manner at all. She walked with her nose up to the sky, talked loud, whistled in the hallways, yelled at staff she did not like in the front of others. She fired employees like crazy, punished people she did not like, hired lots of new workers (many were from where she was let go before coming here). She made lots of people cried. She thought she was very powerful, could do whatever she wanted. She was so wrong. She could not do that for long. Eventually, all employees spoke up strongly, complained about her to the HR and the higher-up. Many, many workers quit or called in sick. The workplace was a mess. We were short of staff constantly. The service was down badly. Residents (in this care centre) complained to the head office about the service. Even the residents noticed how badly/wrongly this manager treated employees too.

The company had a consultant to come in to do a few sessions regarding standing up against bullies, from management to employees and employees to employees also. And there were posters about how to stand up against bullies everywhere in this care centre.

Long story short, after a while, she was no longer here.

There was another manager before this one who was quite evil too. When she first came, she created many meetings to meet with all employees. In one of the meetings, she said "I love to fire people" to threaten/scare employees. A few weeks later, she was gone.

Mean, evil, tyrannical managers are not immortal.

We have had bad and good managers. Usually, good managers lasted longer.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 10-02-2023 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-02-2023, 09:43 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,209,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
I checked out the restaurant's online reviews, and there are a number of negative ones going back for over a year which specifically mention the manager's unprofessional behavior. The owner must just not care, or he/she's a jackass too.
Could she be the owner? Owner’s family?

Old 10-02-2023, 10:11 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,857,524 times
Well,you do not know the back story.

What if the waitress is the a==hole?

Old 10-02-2023, 12:41 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,328,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,you do not know the back story.

What if the waitress is the a==hole?
No matter what, being a manager, yelling employees in public, right in the front of customers/clients/others is an ill manner. That manager has bad personality. She could not control herself. That really impacts to other employees' thinking, reaction and impression in public.

Well, she's not alone, right? Who cares, right? Many people who are like she is want to try to blame on the employees. Hah. Such people don't deserve to be managers.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:15 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
I had a couple managers like that. For 8 years my job was great. My manager said many times over the years that I was the top performer and that lower-performing workers should emulate me. His words, not mine. I never missed a day, never was late. Always came in for others when asked. I made great money.

My 9th year there, he appointed his much younger girlfriend as the manager. She loathed me for whatever reason---maybe because I was the oldest one. Made my life miserable, so I left. Close to retirement anyway.

But I tried one more job just to do something before retirement when we spent our last year in Corpus Christi. The manager made me STAND in one place for 8 hours to tell people there was a private party going on. He could have just posted a sign. I left after 2 days.

So I relate---it's getting worse out there. So glad I'm retired.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:17 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What an inspiration your perfect life is!

Old 10-02-2023, 02:11 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,046,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What an inspiration your perfect life is!
"Could you please pass the Grey Poupon" vs "***** on a shingle"?

Old 10-03-2023, 07:35 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,952,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I think management, in general, has gotten worse since I joined the workforce 15 years ago. Ironically, some of the best I've had were the ones earlier in my career (retail, entry-level office, etc). Led by example, fostered trust and held everyone to the same standard, etc.

In fact, I haven't had a "great" boss in at least 5 years. Which is saying something, considering how many my employer has churned over. Not all of them are awful, but most of them are mediocre and not "forward focused" types. The kind who are quick to have you put out fires, but don't ever find ways to stop the fires from happening in the first place. And, they seem to let cronyism and favoritism run rampant. When you don't hold everyone to the same accountability, that certainly loses my respect for you as a boss.
You're young. Managers have been yelling at employees since the first caveman boss beat his assistant to a pulp for messing up a pile of stones.

But yelling openly in front of customers is next level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment