Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 03:16 PM

401 posts, read 275,602 times

Advertisements

I want to say with some of my previous jobs I was contacted by HR probably same day and sent a written offer, but these were also very large companies. I verbally accepted an offer (small local company) over the phone with an annual salary/start date agreed upon on Friday. I was told "You will be sent an offer letter and also have to get a drug test, but that won't be sent until mid week because of the holiday we are celebrating." I took that as offer letter sent same day. I have have not been sent one, and of course have read stories on the internet about companies ghosting people, taking back offers, etc. When should I be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 04:29 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Wait, are you saying you accepted an offer verbally this past Friday, and are complaining that you haven't received any documentation by Sunday?

Old 10-01-2023, 04:37 PM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
I was told "You will be sent an offer letter and also have to get a drug test, but that won't be sent until mid week because of the holiday we are celebrating."

When should I be concerned?
They told you it wouldn’t be sent until mid week. So I wouldn’t start to worry until a week after that!

Old 10-01-2023, 05:01 PM

24,498 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
I want to say with some of my previous jobs I was contacted by HR probably same day and sent a written offer, but these were also very large companies. I verbally accepted an offer (small local company) over the phone with an annual salary/start date agreed upon on Friday. I was told "You will be sent an offer letter and also have to get a drug test, but that won't be sent until mid week because of the holiday we are celebrating." I took that as offer letter sent same day. I have have not been sent one, and of course have read stories on the internet about companies ghosting people, taking back offers, etc. When should I be concerned?
Please read:>)

Old 10-02-2023, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please read:>)
Yes, I did read what I wrote. Perhaps I misworded it. He said expect the drug test "midweek" because of the holiday but "I will send you the offer letter", with my assuming that would be sent the same day as it has been with my other jobs...

Old 10-02-2023, 06:40 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Quote:
How far out is your start date?

I don't think you should be concerned. If you don't hear from them beforehand, contact them on Thursday.

IME, it can take several days to receive the letter and if there's a holiday it could take a day or so longer.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:40 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,668,615 times
In my experience, when a company really wants to hire you, they will get you that offer letter.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:56 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Large company here, but we generally don't do same-day offer letters. Just has to do with the logistics of drafting the letter and conditions and getting approvals.

But usually we set up candidates one after another so that the first person in, is not waiting too long for us to talk to the last person. Sometimes there is a week in between first and last, so first person might be waiting a week and a half for an offer.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:53 PM

6,368 posts, read 2,702,213 times
Quote:
Why? They apparently gave you no indication of when an offer letter would be sent, that appears to be your own assumption.

You accepted this offer on Friday, and unless you did it at 8AM in the morning, you haven't even given them a full work day before you posted this. So for you to already talk about being ghosted, you are going to have a very stressful road ahead with this company if you expect everything immediately.

When we send out offer letters we try to get them ASAP, but due to the approval process if one of the key people isn't there it could be delayed by a day or so. Some companies are still "old school" and your offer letter will come in a new hire package mailed to your house. That alone could take 2-3 days to process and send.

They said mid-next(this) week. I wouldn't worry until Probably Thursday or Friday. That may warrant a follow-up phone call just to see what the status is. If you get the Drug Test information before the Offer letter that may also be an appropriate time to follow-up.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Why? They apparently gave you no indication of when an offer letter would be sent, that appears to be your own assumption.

You accepted this offer on Friday, and unless you did it at 8AM in the morning, you haven't even given them a full work day before you posted this. So for you to already talk about being ghosted, you are going to have a very stressful road ahead with this company if you expect everything immediately.

When we send out offer letters we try to get them ASAP, but due to the approval process if one of the key people isn't there it could be delayed by a day or so. Some companies are still "old school" and your offer letter will come in a new hire package mailed to your house. That alone could take 2-3 days to process and send.

They said mid-next(this) week. I wouldn't worry until Probably Thursday or Friday. That may warrant a follow-up phone call just to see what the status is. If you get the Drug Test information before the Offer letter that may also be an appropriate time to follow-up.
I am basing this on what my previous employers have done. But I appreciate the feedback..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment