Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 10:43 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,873 times

Advertisements

Before quitting, you need to have a plan for health insurance for the period between jobs. Don't go without health insurance. Something totally unexpected could come up, such as appendicitis that requires immediate surgery. Get COBRA if you must, for the period you are off work. Could be costly but have a plan in place before you quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 08:06 AM

1,861 posts, read 838,044 times
i knew a boy that quit and it took him 18 months to find an entry level job, can you go that long

Old 10-07-2023, 08:11 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
OP: Early January of each year often has a larger than normal amount of job openings.
And the November-December period can be very slow for hiring.

Old 10-07-2023, 04:24 PM

78 posts, read 77,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post

OP: Early January of each year often has a larger than normal amount of job openings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
And the November-December period can be very slow for hiring.

This is good to know. It's been so long since I job hunted that I was unaware of these timing phenomena. If there are more job offers in the beginning of the year (coupled with November and December actually being a slow time of year for me), it might make more sense to hang in there a little more, hope things slow down those two months, burn though my time off (I have 15 days vacation and nearly 30 days of comp time on the books from before they took comp time away), and then revisit my idea in January after I see what job listings are like.

Thanks!

I will keep looking and applying in the meantime. Just in case a great job comes along.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:21 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
If you can afford it (and still have 3-6 months expenses after the end of your gap period), a gap is nice to have. Chances are, once you start work, they will not let you take a month of unpaid leave. Enjoy it while you can!

Last edited by ncole1; 10-13-2023 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-13-2023, 03:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
I wouldn't chance it. Its hard to find a good job these days. Companies are a manure pile of mismanagement now. Not unless you have solid connections that can get you around the BS HR resume screening.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:47 PM

821 posts, read 464,660 times
When we interviewed people one of the things that didn't even warrant a discussion was someone who had a gap in their work that was not due to layoff or injury. People with gaposis were out the door.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:01 PM

2,048 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
When we interviewed people one of the things that didn't even warrant a discussion was someone who had a gap in their work that was not due to layoff or injury. People with gaposis were out the door.
Lame.

People are living beings, not working machines. Glad I never wasted my time with your company.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:25 AM

78 posts, read 77,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Lame.

People are living beings, not working machines. Glad I never wasted my time with your company.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to work at a place like that. Sounds like the kind of place that doesn't let you take your earned vacation. I've had a gap because my spouse was military and we moved every two years for a while. Sometimes I found work right away, other times it was hard to come by (especially overseas). I know quite a few women who took off a few years when they had babies too. My mom took a break from work when my dad had cancer and was dying. She went back to work a few months after he died. There is more to one's existence than work.

Speaking of time taking vacation and time off, I decided to just take paid time off vs. taking a break between jobs. Just to play it safe in case it is hard to get another job. Plus, as someone pointed out, health insurance can be complicated. I have 459 hours of accrued paid time off as of today to take (not including sick time). That's 57 days off total. Most of that is comp time I banked before they got rid of accrued comp time early this year.

The problem is, when I am out, no one covers for me (too many people have quit and not been replaced) so all my email, voicemail, and work just backs up. So I end up having to work even more overtime to catch up when I take off. But at least I will have the health insurance and protect that nice nest egg I've built up.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:55 AM

2,048 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVulcan View Post
There is more to one's existence than work.
Agreed. I've been semi-retired my entire life. Guess I decided to spread it out evenly throughout my lifetime rather than take the gamble and wait until the end. I think it's called the 'dessert first' mindset. We all end up in the same place at the end anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment