Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 02:16 PM

811 posts, read 546,525 times

Advertisements

You've already decided to take the job, so that's handled.
The next thing is how to increase the likelihood that you will convert to permanent employee once you are on the job.
Of course, do all the normal things - arrive a few minutes early, leave a few minutes late, be sure to focus on your work at work, be social. But also ask people directly. You can ask your co-workers what they've noticed, you can ask your boss what their expectations are.

The answer might be coy or deceptive, but probably not.

You'll just have to wait and see. Six permanent job offers were made to me while doing temp work. I've also had at least that many, if not more, temp jobs that did not result in job offers.

You can't necessarily tell ahead of time; the recruiter just gives you the address and you go, without a screening first. But, as I said, since you've already make the decision to take the offer, you don't need to worry about the screening interview.

Different companies use temps for different reasons. Sometimes it's really necessary to see someone work for a month or two to find out what their work ethic is. Othertimes, people have a short-term project that just needs a specifically-skilled temp worker.

You'll have to wait and see before you figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 03:06 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,881,911 times
I would say that where I work, most FTEs started out as temps/limited contracts, but the majority of temps/limited contracts don't end up becoming FTEs...if that makes sense?

Old 10-06-2023, 03:50 PM

4,610 posts, read 2,740,857 times
It totally depends on the company, the position, the business environment at the time, the department's headcount budget situation, and the attitudes of everyone involved, not to mention the characteristics of the individual temp.

In other words, it's so extremely situational that there is absolutely no way to judge it from outside. Heck, both of the major companies I've worked in for years (20 yrs, 17 yrs), it's changed from year to year from "no one ever gets on permanent" to "most of our recent hires came from that". All it takes is one VP to change over your department to totally change the situation.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:07 AM

763 posts, read 2,607,400 times
Being on contract provides that exit you may need if the job doesn't work. No harm, no foul.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:16 AM

169 posts, read 95,511 times
The other thing is that once an agency has you temping, they don't want to lose you as a temp. You are basically inventory to them. I have a friend who used to work for Robert Half Accountemps and he told me that. They might place a person in a temp to hire position and after two or three months the employer might call them and say, "We like this person. We would like to hire him on permanently." Then the temp agency will call the person and say, "I have another temp to hire opportunity for you. I can get you $2 per hour more than you are making now." They make more money off of you as a temp than a permenent hire.

Old 10-09-2023, 11:33 AM

169 posts, read 95,511 times
The good thing about a temp job going permanent is that you can often negotiate a higher salary than you can for a direct hire. For any employer, hiring is very expensive and time consuming. In addition to that, there is always the risk that the new person will not be happy and quit after six months or wind up not working out. Then the employer has to incur the additional expense of recruiting, hiring, and training a new person. If a person has been temping in a role for several months, by the time the employer decides to hire the person on permanently, that person has already proven him/herself. That employer may be willing to pay a higher salary for that person since there is not the risk involved that there is hiring an unknown quantity.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:53 PM

23,900 posts, read 33,655,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
They told me it goes at least until the end of the year and then they will let me know if they get the head count or not. One week notice. I’m accepting it since there is not much else out there and I am almost 49 and it seems harder to get a job as we get older. I hope if it works out it becomes permanent. It’s large security company working with freight forwards to receive the correct paperwork to ship overseas. Pay isn’t great I just want something I can be permanent at.

Welcome to city-data. A friend of mine got an accounting job after being a temp at the company. He took 10 years off to care for his elderly mother so was missing 10 years of employment when he was ready to go back to work after she passed away.

It does happen if they like the way you work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment