Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 03:59 PM

61 posts, read 53,487 times

Advertisements

They told me it goes at least until the end of the year and then they will let me know if they get the head count or not. One week notice. I’m accepting it since there is not much else out there and I am almost 49 and it seems harder to get a job as we get older. I hope if it works out it becomes permanent. It’s large security company working with freight forwards to receive the correct paperwork to ship overseas. Pay isn’t great I just want something I can be permanent at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 04:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I have a friend who had to take many temporary positions for a few years before she finally landed a permanent job. Even that one was touch and go a few times, but she's settled in now, WFH, good secure job, has been about 2 years I think.

Old 10-05-2023, 10:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Good luck, but no one will know how that will work in your case. I have probably used 8-10 contract workers over the years but only one went on to be a permanent employee. In our case there is no quick/easy transition, they would have to go through the normal process, wait for an opening, apply, and beat out the other applicants.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:23 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Where I work, they bring almost everyone on now as temps. Many temps have moved to full time positions, many have not. It depends on their needs and your work ethics.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:02 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
They told me it goes at least until the end of the year and then they will let me know if they get the head count or not ... I just want something I can be permanent at.

Any position I've won through a recruiter has been "permanent" as long as the contract is active. Then usually when the contract goes up for bid again, whatever company wins usually takes on the employees. I can't remember any time that not everyone was brought along to the new company.

Are you asking if you will be brought on as a permanent employee to the company or just if you'll be staying at that position (as a contractor) for a long time?

Old 10-06-2023, 08:28 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
I did contract-to-perm in the past, via a recruiter, and successfully converted to a full-time perm employee.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:44 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
I did contract-to-perm in the past, via a recruiter, and successfully converted to a full-time perm employee.
Me too. I was on a contract for over 11 years before they could get me to convert.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:53 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
My experience is that higher end employees in a temp to hire position are often brought in full-time, as long as there isn't performance or other internal issues that prevent adding an FTE.

Lower end people are often churned through more.

Old 10-06-2023, 10:40 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Good luck, but no one will know how that will work in your case. I have probably used 8-10 contract workers over the years but only one went on to be a permanent employee. In our case there is no quick/easy transition, they would have to go through the normal process, wait for an opening, apply, and beat out the other applicants.
Going to add to this and mention it helps if you made a connection with your future employer. They like you, you do good work, etc. Even involve yourself with their extra curricular activities, i.e. after work soires, passing the hat around for birthdays, special occasions. Then it still isn't a guarantee. I'm going to give you an extra good luck.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:05 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
The recruiter is saying that to fill the position. SOme do of course, but in my experience, most don't. If they need an FTE, they would be looking for that. A temp arrangement is nice because the org does not need to give benefits, which is why the pay is good. ANd a temp is much easier to deal with. Even if they end up needing an FTE for the position, there is no guarantee you would get it. They would likely put it out to see who else they get so you would be competing against that. Sometimes, already being there helps and sometimes it hurts. It's really all situational.

Take the offer and go in with no expectations of a permanent position, that means to keep looking for a permanent roll. But also let them know that you are after a permanent roll.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment