Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 03:28 PM

20 posts, read 13,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are production quotas being met? If yes, don't expect anything to change. You probably take you job a lot more seriously than your coworkers do, and your manager is happy that people are showing up to do a crappy job for what is probably not a lot of money, so grab-assing is tolerated.
I think the quotas are met sometimes and other times not. It seems like we are often short staffed or someone is calling in sick so it’s not really stable there. I think you’re probably right that the managers are just glad they have people and they don’t want to do anything that might make them quit because they have a hard time hiring people. I’ve heard a couple of people talking back to the manager when he’s pushed them a bit, and can result in somebody walking off the job and then coming back the next day, nothing happening. I suppose when I was young, I would’ve enjoyed having fun more than I do now. When I’m there I just like to work and be productive. But I find the whole atmosphere so juvenile and it gets on my nerves. I think most people there feel like it’s a crappy job, so what do I expect I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Years ago, I worked at a telemarketing place selling lake property. It was a horrific working atmosphere. From what I can remember, there were only about 5 people in a room that had 20+ desks and telephones in it. It was horseplay from the time I got there until the time I left. Spitballs, office supplies and whatever could be thrown was rampant. I lasted 3 days.
Oh my god! Things can always be worse I guess. I wouldn’t have lasted long there at all!

Old 10-09-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
If you mostly like the job, put up with the atmosphere. Be glad it's playful coworkers instead of grouchy oppressive bosses who don't allow you to leave your desk without their approval. Be glad you are inside, out of the weather, with relatively clean facilities I assume?
Some younger people have seen their parents dedicate their life to the job, only to get downsized out to save salaries or fired just short of becoming vested in pensions. They are not going to be someone's pack mule like their parents.

Some of the younger workers will grow and mature too. For a long time, I saw a lot of punks in the young guys. Last few years, I worked with 20-30 guys 20-25 years old who were super. Good character, hard workers and as a bonus, they gave an extra hand to us older guys when we needed it. If I were starting a company, they are some of the first guys I would look up.
I’ll keep trying because at this point I don’t know where else I’d work. The place is filthy because of dirt blowing in but otherwise I can listen to music on my headphones and the manager doesn’t pressure me really. I think I just have to get over the feeling that this isn’t the way a workplace is supposed to be. I feel like they should be goofing around like that on their breaks. There are some quiet people there but unfortunately they are not in my area.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:34 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceevee2014 View Post
I’ll keep trying because at this point I don’t know where else I’d work. The place is filthy because of dirt blowing in but otherwise I can listen to music on my headphones and the manager doesn’t pressure me really. I think I just have to get over the feeling that this isn’t the way a workplace is supposed to be. I feel like they should be goofing around like that on their breaks. There are some quiet people there but unfortunately they are not in my area.
Look at it this way:

You are learning some valuable lessons. When you reach managerial level employment you'll have some idea how not to create a pleasant efficient workplace that can retain valuable employees.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Look at it this way:

You are learning some valuable lessons. When you reach managerial level employment you'll have some idea how not to create a pleasant efficient workplace that can retain valuable employees.
Well since I’m 67 I don’t plan on moving up but you make a good point.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:33 PM

6,883 posts, read 4,893,903 times
What about finding another job? Not to say there might not be some of the same issues, but perhaps there is something better suited out there.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,855 times
Quote:
I know, we like to see a place the way we think it should be. Been there many times. But if no one is pressuring or harassing you, count your blessings. There are some truly miserable work places out there. I've worked in some of them. Keep to your good work habits and you may rub off in a good way on some of the youngsters. You never know. At least you can reasonable expect your own job to be secure. You may be appreciated more than you know because of your work.

Hang in there.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:52 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i had a 23 year threaten to punch me in the face because i was doing something myself, he didnt like. Im 62 and of course i get chewed out about it, it was my fault, well then, go look at the cameras
Keep one eye on him and be ready to defend yourself if need be. That kind of aggression is not normal. A woman in our office years ago threatened to slap a coworker. He told her it would be the last time she ever slapped anyone. She backed off.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:28 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times
Quote:
A little levity at work is good but constant horseplay would also get on my nerves.

Have you considered requesting to be moved to that area? Are there any other thrift stores in your area where you could apply for a job?

Old 10-10-2023, 07:39 AM

1,978 posts, read 940,909 times
Quote:
I work in production at a large thrift store. So it’s away from the sales floor - there are various positions involving unpacking donations, pricing etc.

You're not supposed to know this as an actual employee, but many places like that are where people are sent who need to work off community service hours. So a lot of those people may not even be official employees, which makes sense why they cut up and don't care, or walk off the job one day and come back the next. They just have hours to fill and they aren't being paid.

I myself worked at a Goodwill, taking the clothes that had been sifted through, hanging them up, and putting them where they belonged on the racks on the main floor. One day, a woman was in front of me taking shirts off the hangers and throwing them on the floor. She would look me in the eye and do it, knowing I had no recourse. The third time she did it, I walked out.

You're only part-time, so surely there are other jobs to be found that are similar at a mall or big box store where people are held to a higher level of work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment