Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2023, 07:09 PM

20 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

I’ve had my job for about a year and a half now. I like the actual work, but the environment has become increasingly intolerable to me and I don’t want to have to quit. It feels like working in a room full of children - there is much horsing around and shouting to each other etc which can get on my nerves. The managers often stress production quotas yet seemingly tolerate some workers playing around part of the time in a noisy manner. It’s a somewhat young workplace with a few older people like myself who seem to work much harder than the younger people. I just can’t understand why this is tolerated. I know they have trouble finding and keeping workers so perhaps they are afraid to make it too much like work. I’ve mentioned the noise level before to my manager and he told me that he told one person to quiet down a bit while I’m there (I work part time). But I don’t really consider that a solution and i’m afraid if I complain again, they’ll see me as the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 07:35 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Noise cancelling headphones?

Old 10-07-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Noise cancelling headphones?
I have been wearing headphones to listen to music which helps with the noise but I feel a bit isolated then. And I think part of it is just feeling it’s not my type of environment and I can’t fit in and feel annoyed that it has to be so inhospitable for working. I love my actual work and do a good job but am feeling fed up.

Old 10-08-2023, 03:11 PM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Just curious what kind of work you're doing and in what kind of environment (office, shop, etc?)

Old 10-08-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Just curious what kind of work you're doing and in what kind of environment (office, shop, etc?)
I work in production at a large thrift store. So it’s away from the sales floor - there are various positions involving unpacking donations, pricing etc.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:05 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Are production quotas being met? If yes, don't expect anything to change. You probably take you job a lot more seriously than your coworkers do, and your manager is happy that people are showing up to do a crappy job for what is probably not a lot of money, so grab-assing is tolerated.

Old 10-09-2023, 10:22 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Years ago, I worked at a telemarketing place selling lake property. It was a horrific working atmosphere. From what I can remember, there were only about 5 people in a room that had 20+ desks and telephones in it. It was horseplay from the time I got there until the time I left. Spitballs, office supplies and whatever could be thrown was rampant. I lasted 3 days.

Old 10-09-2023, 11:07 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,145,723 times
If you mostly like the job, put up with the atmosphere. Be glad it's playful coworkers instead of grouchy oppressive bosses who don't allow you to leave your desk without their approval. Be glad you are inside, out of the weather, with relatively clean facilities I assume?
Some younger people have seen their parents dedicate their life to the job, only to get downsized out to save salaries or fired just short of becoming vested in pensions. They are not going to be someone's pack mule like their parents.

Some of the younger workers will grow and mature too. For a long time, I saw a lot of punks in the young guys. Last few years, I worked with 20-30 guys 20-25 years old who were super. Good character, hard workers and as a bonus, they gave an extra hand to us older guys when we needed it. If I were starting a company, they are some of the first guys I would look up.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:54 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Unforutnately, it seems you're outnumbered & even the mgrs are on the majority's side, so if you really like your job & want to stay, I guess you do the, "if you can't beat them, join them" approach. Maybe you can let loose a little too & not be so serious...might as well make the best of it since you have to work w/ these people 8 hrs a day. I'm not saying be friends w/ them or start eating lunch w. them if you don't want, but maybe just be more a part of the group.

OR you could get some headphones to keep things quiet, but that would make it look like you're purposefullly isolating youself from everyone & you'll probably never be seen as a, "part of the group".

Old 10-09-2023, 02:56 PM

1,861 posts, read 838,044 times
i had a 23 year threaten to punch me in the face because i was doing something myself, he didnt like. Im 62 and of course i get chewed out about it, it was my fault, well then, go look at the cameras
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment