Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 05:35 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Let's be real. It's a sign of nerves(at least in my case) or slight panic. Not a good look at all.
I wonder why this happens, physiologically speaking.

Sometimes when I get nervous or flustered I blush very easily, or get flushed & itchy all over. Body heat rises, body reacts by sweating. Mostly palms and underarms, not forehead. I hate it and just have to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 05:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
[quote=heavymind;65947035]I wonder why this happens, physiologically speaking./QUOTE]

It's a good question. Mine manifests as a dry mouth but intense feeling that I have to urinate.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:51 PM

987 posts, read 824,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Sometimes when I get nervous or flustered I blush very easily, or get flushed & itchy all over. Body heat rises, body reacts by sweating. Mostly palms and underarms, not forehead. I hate it and just have to live with it.
It’s psychological response .. adrenaline etc.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:54 AM

844 posts, read 420,826 times
Quote:
Let's be real. It's a sign of nerves(at least in my case) or slight panic. Not a good look at all.
I think it's a combination of sweat & the nervous facial expression that gives it away. It's worse if you had to physically exercise (such as climbing stairs) to get to your meeting.

Try deep breathing technique, long inhale & long exhale to force your heart rate to slow down. Also get to the meeting early to allow yourself to relax helps.

To give you an example, recently I interviewed for a job that I REALLY wanted. I arrived 45 minutes early, sat in my car for 30 minutes just to mentally calm down. This allowed me to put the "big picture" in place mentally. Then walked to security to allow them time to process me in & call the interviewer to come to pick me up. The extra time budgeted stop me from the anxiety of "being late" and able to be calm & relax. Long story short, I got the job.

Last edited by BigfishTim; 10-13-2023 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-13-2023, 08:34 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
I disagree …respectfully. If your confident you don’t produce nervous sweat. If you going to be a leader you need to be confident.
As long as you appear confident, speak clearly and intelligently and do a good job, I highly doubt anyone is going to think "Oh that Mstrluck74 is a WEAK man, due to that forehead sweat!" Overweight people tend to sweat a lot as do people with hyperhidrosis.

Some men are short.

Some men are bald.

Some men stutter.

Some men have skin conditions.

None of these things equate to anyone feeling as though you're weak. Genetics plays a big part and that's not something you cannot control.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:24 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
I disagree …respectfully. If your confident you don’t produce nervous sweat. If you going to be a leader you need to be confident.
Who's to say it's nervous sweat? Some people run hot.

An enclosed room, likely not well ventilated, possibly overcrowded - if I see someone sweating, my assumption is that they're overly warm, not nervous.

If you do your job confidently (and well), you speak confidently, you run the meeting confidently - but you're nervous - you will not be judged for being an incompetent leader.

I know some really awesome higher-ups who loathe public speaking. They've shared with me that they get nervous, can't eat beforehand, it occupies their mind, they have the butterflies the whole time but when I see them speak but they do exceptionally well at speaking (and leading). It's unfortunate you feel that way but nervousness is not a sign of weakness and that's a fact.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Who's to say it's nervous sweat? Some people run hot.

An enclosed room, likely not well ventilated, possibly overcrowded - if I see someone sweating, my assumption is that they're overly warm, not nervous.

If you do your job confidently (and well), you speak confidently, you run the meeting confidently - but you're nervous - you will not be judged for being an incompetent leader.

I know some really awesome higher-ups who loathe public speaking. They've shared with me that they get nervous, can't eat beforehand, it occupies their mind, they have the butterflies the whole time but when I see them speak but they do exceptionally well at speaking (and leading). It's unfortunate you feel that way but nervousness is not a sign of weakness and that's a fact.
Thank you for that. I would love to speak to a therapist

Old 10-13-2023, 04:14 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Don't feel too bad OP. It could always be worse:

I had been assigned to represent my agency during a two day meeting of the military brass in charge of Fort Irwin National Training Center. That's an artillery/tank training base deep in the Mojave Desert. They'd been caught with their pants down crushing endangered desert tortoises and were getting an agency dressing down.

It was July. Forecast for the week was hovering around 119F. The dressing down was held in a windowless 2nd story room in a vintage building with equally vintage AC. Those little fluttery ribbons on the wall vents were there to lure you into thinking the air was in fact moving. To add insult to injury I happened to be finishing up a course of chemotherapy and was wearing a wig. The drugs triggered severe hot flashes. Like clockwork every 10-15 minutes my internal thermostat flipped itself on, I'd burn like an overheated wood stove flu, my face and neck would turn beet red (when I have hair I'm blonde), my shirt turned into a swamp, and it was all I could do not to run screaming from the room.

All things considered, a bit of dew on my forehead would have been a relief!

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-13-2023 at 04:37 PM..

Old 10-13-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't feel too bad OP. It could always be worse:

I had been assigned to represent my agency during a two day meeting of the military brass in charge of Fort Irwin National Training Center. That's an artillery/tank training base deep in the Mojave Desert. They'd been caught with their pants down crushing endangered desert tortoises and were getting an agency dressing down.

It was July. Forecast for the week was hovering around 119F. The dressing down was held in a windowless 2nd story room in a vintage building with equally vintage AC. Those little fluttery ribbons on the wall vents were there to lure you into thinking the air was in fact moving. To add insult to injury I happened to be finishing up a course of chemotherapy and was wearing a wig. The drugs triggered severe hot flashes. Like clockwork every 10-15 minutes my internal thermostat flipped itself on, I'd burn like an overheated wood stove flu, my face and neck would turn beet red (when I have hair I'm blonde), my shirt turned into a swamp, and it was all I could do not to run screaming from the room.

All things considered, a bit of dew on my forehead would have been a relief!
Awwww… I feel for you and your right it could be worse . All the best to you.

BTW I seem to have a heat intolerance…slightest bit of heat and I’m sweating bullets.

Old 10-14-2023, 05:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

I know a young woman like that. The poor thing blushes beet red at the slightest thing. I simply pretend I don't notice.Come to think of it I know a man who has the same issue.

Point being, there are some things we just have no control over, when it comes to biological functions. I think the OP is making a bit too much of the sweat, and how it might be perceived in the work setting.

However, if you are going to make this big a deal of worrying about it, bring it out in the open, in a sort of mock self-deprecating way. Carry a hankie, pat your forehead and mutter, "ugh, I always get the sweats at these things, always been like this, so embarrassing!" and then carry on.

If someone comments, you can carry it a bit further "yeah the amount of laundry is crazy!" or whatever.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-14-2023 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment