Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 07:37 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times

Advertisements

When I needed to call off, I called off.
No guilt.

I think everyone knows what calling off means…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 09:28 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
We have separate sick and vacation allotments. If I am sick and feel that I need to call off, I will do so. I don't sbuse it and i don't feel guilty about it.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:00 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,176 times
I believe "calling off of work" from the OP means calling in sick. Calling in sick is not the same with taking PTO (which you have to book ahead of time for that).

If your coworkers call in often, and you don't call in, you are stupid b/c you will have to do a lot more work to cover for your coworkers. And you will be burnt out and eventually you will feel very sick for real. So, don't feel guilty when you call in a few days here and there.

At my workplace, I saw quite a few people in the management called in more than many employees. Did they feel guilty? I don't think so. I even saw in the higher rank, this person called in pretty often; the other did not for a long time. The one who did not called in had to take a lot of responsibilities from the one who called in often. And one day, the second one called in for many months. I guess the second one got burnt out and felt really sick.

It's a strange place. Now, so many people call in constantly. It's like they are burnt out b/c they had to cover for the ones who called in so much. Or they are taking turn. Or they revenge one another. Whatever. I can't tell.

Nowadays, if you don't call in, nobody sees you as a good worker; maybe the opposite. For many who call in often, they can even have sympathy and compassion from others. They can talk about their sickness freely, like the sickness is their medal. And they are heroes b/c they survive through sickness or mental health issues. Some people are smart A

That’s the way it is in the work world nowadays. So, just call in whenever you feel like. Don’t feel guilty at all. Your coworkers don’t feel guilty. Your management people don’t feel guilty. Why should you? If you don't call in, the management will give you more work to do b/c you are too good, you are too healthy and strong, you can do more. Hahaha.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 10-21-2023 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-22-2023, 04:54 AM

5,010 posts, read 593,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I never heard of the term "calling off"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think everyone knows what calling off means….
No one says that here...Call in sick with no guilt, OP. Do you truly believe your absence will cause the entire office to completely fall apart?

Old 10-22-2023, 09:04 AM

426 posts, read 160,478 times
I do feel guilty because I know that it effects my coworkers - real people.

When I worked overnight stocking, there was some ridiculous rule where people could, every month, call in three days in a row and it only counts as one. Perhaps that rule was in place to help people who are legitimately sick. But no, I had a coworker who worked the next aisle over from me who would do this every single month, without fail. He wasn't sick, he was just taking advantage of the policy because he was very much the kind of worker to stick it to the corporation. But in this case he stuck it to me more than he did the corporation, because, me being the fast worker I was, when he did that, I would be tasked to work his aisle after mine every single day he was gone. And I worked every day he took off.

Other, lazier coworkers got to do more relaxing tasks, while I was expected to pick up the slack, while this lazy dude was at home taking advantage of a policy.

Look, if you are legitimately sick you shouldn't feel too bad. Just don't do it frivolously if you work in a job like we did where you know stressful tasks will get put on others.

Me, I call in extremely rarely. I haven't even fully called in at my current job that I've been at for over a year and a half. I did take a lot of one day off, in what should have been a call in to begin with. I went home only because I... well how can I put this in a less TMI way? I was uncontrollably nauseous. I unexpectedly lost in when I thought I had taken care of it. Thankfully I was at the sink in the restroom, but it was gross and I had to clean up and yeah. That's what it takes to make me go home. And you know what? I couldn't stop feeling guilty about that. It is a symptom that could easily repeat itself any month. And I don't want to make a habit of it.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:38 AM

743 posts, read 877,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I do feel guilty because I know that it effects my coworkers - real people.

When I worked overnight stocking, there was some ridiculous rule where people could, every month, call in three days in a row and it only counts as one. Perhaps that rule was in place to help people who are legitimately sick. But no, I had a coworker who worked the next aisle over from me who would do this every single month, without fail. He wasn't sick, he was just taking advantage of the policy because he was very much the kind of worker to stick it to the corporation. But in this case he stuck it to me more than he did the corporation, because, me being the fast worker I was, when he did that, I would be tasked to work his aisle after mine every single day he was gone. And I worked every day he took off.

Other, lazier coworkers got to do more relaxing tasks, while I was expected to pick up the slack, while this lazy dude was at home taking advantage of a policy.

Look, if you are legitimately sick you shouldn't feel too bad. Just don't do it frivolously if you work in a job like we did where you know stressful tasks will get put on others.

Me, I call in extremely rarely. I haven't even fully called in at my current job that I've been at for over a year and a half. I did take a lot of one day off, in what should have been a call in to begin with. I went home only because I... well how can I put this in a less TMI way? I was uncontrollably nauseous. I unexpectedly lost in when I thought I had taken care of it. Thankfully I was at the sink in the restroom, but it was gross and I had to clean up and yeah. That's what it takes to make me go home. And you know what? I couldn't stop feeling guilty about that. It is a symptom that could easily repeat itself any month. And I don't want to make a habit of it.

This is how I feel as well. If me calling out causes my co-workers additional work, I wouldn't do it. If I knew that my shift was covered, I would think about it. I always felt guilty though and after I called and gave a lame excuse, I didn't do it again.

Now my daughter has no problem what so ever calling out. But, she gets paid for it (PTO)-- big difference. In my day, you call out sick you get no pay unless you go to the doctor. AND she doesn't even have to talk to anyone. They have a separate line just for people to call out. Leave your name and shift and that's it. Takes all the guilt out because you don't have to talk to anyone and give a lame excuse.

Personally I feel people should work their shifts. If you need a day off, schedule it. But I'm old school. A lot of people are all about themselves and could care less who it affects if they call out sick.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:42 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
No, I never felt guilty. Sometimes you need an unscheduled day off for mental or physical health, or when you need to take care of some unexpected business. When I was at work, I gave the company my best work possible, and have never lost a job due any issue with absences. No reason to feel guilty over a few days off here and there.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:29 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
This is how I feel as well. If me calling out causes my co-workers additional work, I wouldn't do it. If I knew that my shift was covered, I would think about it. I always felt guilty though and after I called and gave a lame excuse, I didn't do it again.

Now my daughter has no problem what so ever calling out. But, she gets paid for it (PTO)-- big difference. In my day, you call out sick you get no pay unless you go to the doctor. AND she doesn't even have to talk to anyone. They have a separate line just for people to call out. Leave your name and shift and that's it. Takes all the guilt out because you don't have to talk to anyone and give a lame excuse.

Personally I feel people should work their shifts. If you need a day off, schedule it. But I'm old school. A lot of people are all about themselves and could care less who it affects if they call out sick.

I think about other people almost every waking moment of my life, as part of my job, and as part of my personal life, especially at the moment. My job provides me with sick time so that I don't have to work sick. When I am sick I do not work. Other people might have to have their routine disrupted a little, but I do the same for them, when they are out sick or on a scheduled day off. None of it is earthshaking catastrophe, we all survive and take care of each other's stuff if needed, it's a perfectly normal part of working life.

I don't know what you mean by "old school". I am 63 and have a very strong work ethic. But I do not work when I am sick, because my employer provides us with sick time, and we are expected to use it.

I am of no use, in my job, when I am sick. Just in there spreading germs. No one wants it. And it takes far longer to get better, working sick.

Old 10-22-2023, 11:06 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
A lot of people are all about themselves and could care less who it affects if they call out sick.
And on the flip side...

A lot of people are all about themselves and could care not less who they infect when they come to work sick.
If you are sick, stay home!

Old 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And on the flip side...

A lot of people are all about themselves and could care not less who they infect when they come to work sick.
If you are sick, stay home!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment