Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 02:36 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been retired for 15 years, and when I retired I had maxed out the "sick time" benefit accrual at 26 weeks. We got something like 10 days per year. And of course, company did not pay out unused sick time.

I was just never sick, and being from a different era than most of you, to me, calling in sick when you are not, is both lying and cheating, and I don't do either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 03:05 PM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Only time I'd feel guilty about taking time off is if I did it in an inconsiderate way, which meant that those who remained had to pick up my slack.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:18 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Okay, I've been retired for 15 years, and when I retired I had maxed out the "sick time" benefit accrual at 26 weeks. We got something like 10 days per year. And of course, company did not pay out unused sick time.

I was just never sick, and being from a different era than most of you, to me, calling in sick when you are not, is both lying and cheating, and I don't do either.

Nah, it's not a generational thing. It's an more of a personal ethics thing. People have been doing it since the beginning of calling in sick.

I once called my boss on a Sunday evening and asked if I could take a personal day on Monday. I wasn't sick, I was just exhausted and hadn't had any rest on the weekend. Our sick time is separate, so I used PTO instead. I never fake call in sick. I wouldn't want to squander my sick time, in case I really need it. My vacation/personal/holiday leave is adequate and I use it all carefully for my best benefit.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:57 PM

5,010 posts, read 594,479 times
Quote:
......being from a different era than most of you, to me, calling in sick when you are not, is both lying and cheating, and I don't do either.
That's nice.

Your perfect attendance record.

I occasionally had to take a day here and there for pressing personal business...I guess in your eyes that would constitute a sackable offense.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:23 PM

17,599 posts, read 13,383,640 times
Never! That's what sick days are used for. If you are sick, take off, Period. Nuff said!!!!!

Old 10-23-2023, 10:58 PM

1,436 posts, read 670,225 times
I did feel bad if I knew it would put a strain on co- workers. Sometimes there is nothing else you can do though.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:01 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
As a remote worker, I rarely use sick days.

Our department was supposed to have a cookout a couple weeks ago. I was sick all week, and was coughing and hacking through Teams meeting the day before. The cookout was supposed to be four hours long - I told my manager that morning that I'd come, but I probably couldn't last the four full hours. He said to just take the sick day. I hated to miss it, but realistically, no one wants someone at an event like that who is coughing and sneezing.

I didn't really care at my previous job. We worked such long hours and were on-call enough to where they got their pound of flesh.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:14 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,835,961 times
I pretty much only take off work if I’m actually sick. But yeah, I feel guilty doing so, because we are quite short-handed at work. I only work part time, 5 hours a day, but there are only 4 or us, so one down is a lot if we’re busy.

Since I’m part time, I don’t get pto.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:04 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,404,514 times
Quote:

I have a different prospective. Gen-x'er here, BTW.

IMO, a sick day can be used not only when a person is physically ill but also just needs a break from the grind to rest and relax. And it's time that has been earned.

On the occasion I use a sick day when I'm not physically sick (FWIW, my company uses the term medical leave and it can be used for medical/dental appointments, to care for sick spouses, and kids, too), I just say I'm taking medical leave for the day. There's no lying or cheating.

I'm strategic about it so that it doesn't put a hardship on my co-workers. And the work my company pays me to do, still gets done - just not on that day.

You left 26 weeks on the table. 130 days. 1,040 hours. Those are days and hours that you earned and could have been spent on yourself, on your family. Hours that you'll never get back. Hours that you gave to your employer who in all likelihood, wasn't really concerned about you as a person just as a producer.

I've been in the workforce for 30 years and have about 26 more before I reach retirement. I am going to use the PTO that I've earned (of course, I bank a few weeks - I'm never at 0) because when I do reach retirement, I doubt I'll look back and think "I wish I had spent more time at work".

I do think there is a difference in how generations view the use of sick leave and what constitutes sick/medical has evolved. I think that is has evolved to the better. I know that my prospective has changed over time and it's quite liberating.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 9,076,133 times
Quote:

I agree. Sick days are not extra free vacation days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Nah, it's not a generational thing. It's an more of a personal ethics thing. People have been doing it since the beginning of calling in sick.

I once called my boss on a Sunday evening and asked if I could take a personal day on Monday. I wasn't sick, I was just exhausted and hadn't had any rest on the weekend. Our sick time is separate, so I used PTO instead. I never fake call in sick. I wouldn't want to squander my sick time, in case I really need it. My vacation/personal/holiday leave is adequate and I use it all carefully for my best benefit.
I would say there's a difference between asking for some time off and using vacation days than just calling in sick to play hookey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
That's nice.

Your perfect attendance record.

I occasionally had to take a day here and there for pressing personal business...I guess in your eyes that would constitute a sackable offense.
Depends on whether you told them what you need and used a vacation day. "Mental health days" are a misuse of sick days when it's really just an extra vacation day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment