Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 10:18 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionistgold View Post
Management is to help if a problem arise, not to invent problems. [Snip.]

If I am terminated by them, I owe them nothing. Just cause she has manager to report to, it's not my problem. The hilarious part is she has no expertise in tech and needs our help more than we need her help. We gladly would help but threatening to report us for her **** poor management style is digging her own grave. The other PMs have a manager to report to and they didn't give run their projects in this slave manner like she is running it.
I am with you on this one. Mod cut. Always trying to prove something.

As far as the bonus, of course you can ask for anything. My husband got his graduate school paid for by his current company. New company offered to pay it back since it has only been a year or so. Old company said never mind. So he got that as a bonus. He's a high achiever but you can try. It depends on your qualifications and the job market. Put it on them. Say something like "Well, I really like your company but this is my situation and see if they bite'.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Gender bashing. Don't make sweeping generalizations.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:22 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Repay the $12k and move on. They are better off without w.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:44 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
So what you are saying is that a whole week has gone by and you have done nothing. All you have to say is that you are working on A and estimate you are x% done with the translation (or whatever you are doing), or that you had a small hang-up with getting something to fit, and then she has something to put in her report.

Surely after a week has gone by, you have done something.

As for getting a new job to pay back your bonus, I suspect they would look askance at someone who signs a two year contract, takes a large sign-up bonus, and then quits, expecting someone else to repay the bonus for them. It won't help when they call references and are told you can't come up with any progress reports.

I suppose if you have rare and special knowledge and no one else can do your job, they might possibly pay for you i lieu of giving you a sign-up bonus, but the odds that your work is so specialized that no one else can be hired to do that job are pretty slim.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:47 AM

615 posts, read 340,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionistgold View Post
So I been in this company for almost a year and initially everything was working well. This is tech work so I work with different project managers, and my job is pretty much remote. However, I been assigned to one woman for a long-term PM that wants weekly updates and a list of accomplishments, and if we have nothing to offer in the meeting, we will be reported to senior management.

I can't work with someone that wants updates and threatens to report us for petty ****. I hate micromanaging and believe in freedom. As long as one gets their stuff done and it is good, who cares.
If I need help or if I got something important then I will bring it up cause I know what I am doing, and I get all my stuff done.

Anyway, I talked to a few of my friends working in other tech companies and no one runs their teams like this and they referred me to some roles in their companies and interviews have been setup.

The big problem was I signed a two year sign on bonus for $12,000. They already paid me the money but it said quitting before the two years means I got to return that money.

So my question is could I negotiate with the new employer so they can buy-out my bonus?
I hope you have a better reason for leaving than this to tell a perspective employer. I am retired, but was a hiring manager and would never hire you given the information you have provided. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:58 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
This thread quickly turned into a mess. It's been cleaned up, deleting inappropriate posts and comments, and it's now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment