Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 3,228 times

Advertisements

So I been in this company for almost a year and initially everything was working well. This is tech work so I work with different project managers, and my job is pretty much remote. However, I been assigned to one woman for a long-term PM that wants weekly updates and a list of accomplishments, and if we have nothing to offer in the meeting, we will be reported to senior management.

I can't work with someone that wants updates and threatens to report us for petty ****. I hate micromanaging and believe in freedom. As long as one gets their stuff done and it is good, who cares.
If I need help or if I got something important then I will bring it up cause I know what I am doing, and I get all my stuff done.

Anyway, I talked to a few of my friends working in other tech companies and no one runs their teams like this and they referred me to some roles in their companies and interviews have been setup.

The big problem was I signed a two year sign on bonus for $12,000. They already paid me the money but it said quitting before the two years means I got to return that money.

So my question is could I negotiate with the new employer so they can buy-out my bonus?

Old 10-29-2023, 07:58 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
You can try, but I doubt it. That's a big number. You might try paying back $6K and seeing if the new employer would get the other half. But again, I doubt it. Didn't you know what you were getting into?
Do another year and then move on if you are that unhappy there.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:52 AM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

What is the point in providing repetitive information? I don't mind giving updates if we can say "no status update" or "no change", but she is obsessed with knowing why nothing has changed. The other PMs didn't care and only cared if we are running into obstacles.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 09:18 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Sign on bonuses? What are those. LOL

Old 10-29-2023, 09:25 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionistgold View Post
[Snip.]

What is the point in providing repetitive information? I don't mind giving updates if we can say "no status update" or "no change", but she is obsessed with knowing why nothing has changed. The other PMs didn't care and only cared if we are running into obstacles.
So, you're objecting to her doing her job as it relates to you? Asking for updates and wanting to know why no progress has been made on an issue is called "management". She also has a boss she has to report progress to.

It's real obvious that you're essentially clueless on what constitutes an update (Pro Tip: they're just not if "something's in the way") and what they're for.

If you get fired for refusing to do your job, one task of which is supplying timely updates on whatever you're working on (that's typically called insubordination) will you have to pay back your signing bonus?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:06 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, you're objecting to her doing her job as it relates to you? Asking for updates and wanting to know why no progress has been made on an issue is called "management". She also has a boss she has to report progress to.

It's real obvious that you're essentially clueless on what constitutes an update (Pro Tip: they're just not if "something's in the way") and what they're for.

If you get fired for refusing to do your job, one task of which is supplying timely updates on whatever you're working on (that's typically called insubordination) will you have to pay back your signing bonus?
Management is to help if a problem arise, not to invent problems. Mod cut.

If I am terminated by them, I owe them nothing. Just cause she has manager to report to, it's not my problem. The hilarious part is she has no expertise in tech and needs our help more than we need her help. We gladly would help but threatening to report us for her **** poor management style is digging her own grave. The other PMs have a manager to report to and they didn't give run their projects in this slave manner like she is running it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:43 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Management is to help if a problem arise, not to invent problems. [Snip.]

If I am terminated by them, I owe them nothing. Just cause she has manager to report to, it's not my problem. The hilarious part is she has no expertise in tech and needs our help more than we need her help. We gladly would help but threatening to report us for her **** poor management style is digging her own grave. The other PMs have a manager to report to and they didn't give run their projects in this slave manner like she is running it.
You sound like an employee everyone wants.
If doing your job is not something you want to do - leave. You are a worker bee not management. You get paid to work.
Pay your 12k k back and be done with it. Sign-on bonuses belong into savings until they are earned. You spent money that was not yours yet.
Why would a potential new employer deal with your financial situation?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 09:45 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Management is to help if a problem arise, not to invent problems. [Snip.]

You don't have a clue what management does.

Yes it is your problem if she has to justify your work output, or lack of it, to her boss. No, a manager's job isn't just to "help if a problem arise", she's also responsible for your work.

She only has a "**** poor management style" because she's making you do your job.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-29-2023 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-29-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You sound like an employee everyone wants.
If doing your job is not something you want to do - leave. You are a worker bee not management. You get paid to work.
Pay your 12k k back and be done with it. Sign-on bonuses belong into savings until they are earned. You spent money that was not yours yet.
Why would a potential new employer deal with your financial situation?
I along with my co-workers that have the same opinion don't mind helping anyone including her. But what we won't tolerate is threatening us. That's where we draw the line. The best part is our actual client is satisfied with our work and never complained, but this she is creating a problem where none existed.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You don't have a clue what management does.

Yes it is your problem if she has to justify your work output, or lack of it, to her boss. No, a manager's job isn't just to "help if a problem arise", she's also responsible for your work.

She only has a "**** poor management style" because she's making you do your job.
We already are doing our job and our actual client is satisfied with the work. The client had no complaints and even invited us out for a gathering(which she didn't even show) to watch Thursday Night Football for our efforts. What does that tell you? It means everything is going well.

Management is not there to invent a problem and it seems you are clueless on basic operations management. Her management style is gutter filth because she is upset that she had a team that is doing its job perfectly well and the actual client(the person that matters) is happy and has to invent a problem that never existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment