Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 08:45 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,894 times

Advertisements

What kind of punishment companies give to those who discriminated against someone?
If someone lied about an employee and harassed repeatedly over several months/years because of his/her background, it is discrimination. This is normally carried out by low level managers.
If HR finds out, what does HR do to the discriminators? Fire them, demote them, give a pay cut, slap on the wrist, nothing? How about upper management? Do any of these care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 08:55 AM

22,570 posts, read 47,633,000 times
How specifically were you discriminated against?
How much documentation do you have?
Witnesses?

Lying about an employee is not discrimination.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:08 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
There are too many variables to say anything other than, "it depends."

Old 11-03-2023, 10:17 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What kind of punishment companies give to those who discriminated against someone?
If someone lied about an employee and harassed repeatedly over several months/years because of his/her background, it is discrimination. This is normally carried out by low level managers.
If HR finds out, what does HR do to the discriminators? Fire them, demote them, give a pay cut, slap on the wrist, nothing? How about upper management? Do any of these care?
I would classify this as hostile work environment and not discrimination.

And as it was said, "it depends" on a lot of factors but typically there is a process between complaint to firing which usually includes an opportunity for the offender to improve.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
If someone lied about an employee and harassed repeatedly over several months/years because of his/her background,
What do you mean by "because of his/ her background"? Are you referring specifically to ethnicity, religion, or another protected class? Discrimination, itself, is not illegal or wrong. It is only illegal if you discriminate against someone based on a protected attribute.

Quote:
Fire them, demote them, give a pay cut, slap on the wrist, nothing?
Could be any of these based on the specific incident.

Quote:
How about upper management? Do any of these care?
Obviously, every company is different, but most would care.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:56 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Without more specifics no one can intelligently answer such a question. First, we don't know if what you're describing even constitutes true discrimination. Second, lying about someone does not equate to discrimination either.

Give more specifics if you want thoughtful answers.

Old 11-03-2023, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I have seen this happen 4 times.

The first was in Oakland CA where I worked for 17 years. There were two Black employees that kept getting passed up for promotions, and eventually filed a discrimination lawsuit. The reason the were passed up is that in their current jobs, they had been sent home several times over several years for being drunk on the job, and the promotions all required driving. Nonetheless, being a public agency, the company decided to settle out of court rather than have a lengthy, costly court case. The accepted offer was that a million $ was set aside, and every Black employee who had ever been turned down for a promotion got a share of it in a lump sum, it was about $1,200 each. There was no action reprimanding or punishing anyone, and no admission of guilt.

The second was when a young woman who happened to be "well endowed" applied for a promotion at a job involving physical activities in tight spaces. In the interview, the hiring manager actually told her that "her boobs would get in the way" and back then there, all interviews were recorded. He was fired as soon as she complained to HR and they played the tape.

The third was in Seattle where again there was a lawsuit by a Black employee, claiming discrimination by a White woman in another department and her White female boss. It was also settled out of court. She wanted $1 million, but we offered $200k and she accepted, which really POd her attorneys as it reduced their cut. Again, there was no action reprimanding or punishing anyone, and no admission of guilt.

The 4th was a case where my Black employee complained that she was discriminated against by the same White woman in another department. The other supervisor and I met to discuss, met with each of them separately, then had HR bring in a mediator to try and get them to work it out. That ended up being a waste of time, but a couple of months later, the "victim" transferred to another location, and a few months after that, the "perpetrator" retired. Once again, there was no action reprimanding or punishing anyone, and no admission of guilt by anyone.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:02 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Without more specifics no one can intelligently answer such a question. First, we don't know if what you're describing even constitutes true discrimination. Second, lying about someone does not equate to discrimination either.

Give more specifics if you want thoughtful answers.
Due to my immigrant background, foreign accent (i speak English fine), two managers from the same group treated me like i was a beginner in the field. In fact, I am an expert in the field, with several publications, and leading-edge tech experience (far above the work we are doing here). These people set me up for failure multiple times, prevented me from making even the smallest decisions in my work (while allowing others), denied me having any expertise or experience, withheld resources, blamed me for the results of their own incompetent decisions, and passed me on for promotions, while promoting several of their mediocre friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have seen this happen 4 times.
All the 4 cases you are describing were false accusations. Implying that accusations of a certain type of crime are always false is disingenuous. Like it is with any type of crime, accusations are true in some cases while false in other cases.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:02 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Due to my immigrant background, foreign accent (i speak English fine), two managers from the same group treated me like i was a beginner in the field. In fact, I am an expert in the field, with several publications, and leading-edge tech experience (far above the work we are doing here). These people set me up for failure multiple times, prevented me from making even the smallest decisions in my work (while allowing others), denied me having any expertise or experience, withheld resources, blamed me for the results of their own incompetent decisions, and passed me on for promotions, while promoting several of their mediocre friends.

Ok...this sounds like illegal discrimination IF these things were done solely because of your ethnicity. But, here is the hard part. You have to have proof that is the reason.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:27 AM

24,500 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:

All the 4 cases you are describing were false accusations. Implying that accusations of a certain type of crime are always false is disingenuous. Like it is with any type of crime, accusations are true in some cases while false in other cases.
You continue these "discrimination" threads but all sounds wishy washy. If you are that good in your field move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment