Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2023, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,026 times

Advertisements

I have 2 interviews coming up, I'm thinking tesla could be better long term since the westward seafoods is seasonal and could possibly be just one season or just a couple months then I'm laid off.

I also live about 1.5 hours from Tesla and could commute there if I get a car which I do have savings for a car but little driving experience as I've made bad choices with cars in the past but I'm older now so it could work.

If I go for westward, rent is $15 a day I believe. Renting a place near Fremont for tesla in california would be I imagine somewhere in the $1500 area probably at the minimum,. or making the commute, in which case rent is almost nothing.

Pay at westward is I believe $18 an hour plus overtime, overtime is usually 12-16 hour days 6-7 days a week.

Tesla is considerably more pay at either $23 an hour for day shift or $26 an hour for night shift, with overtime at 12 hour days 3-4 days a week.

I have no preference for either, money is the only motivator, I'm capable of either job. Both have there pluses and minuses but seeing if someone has an opinion on either of these companies or roles which are Tesla - Production or Westward seafooods - Seafood Processor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 10:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
That would be an easy decision for me. I'm in commercial and industrial real estate and we have several seafood processors as tenants, that bring in their catches from Alaska. That's going to be hard, smelly, and dirty work, for less pay. Then there is the cost of transportation to Alaska and back after the season ends. Almost all work up there is seasonal due to the brutal winters. More money to work in a clean environment in a mild climate for more money just seems to make a lot more sense, as long as you can commute, You won't find an apartment in Fremont for $1,500 any more. The average rent for an apartment in Fremont is $2,767.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That would be an easy decision for me. I'm in commercial and industrial real estate and we have several seafood processors as tenants, that bring in their catches from Alaska. That's going to be hard, smelly, and dirty work, for less pay. Then there is the cost of transportation to Alaska and back after the season ends. Almost all work up there is seasonal due to the brutal winters. More money to work in a clean environment in a mild climate for more money just seems to make a lot more sense, as long as you can commute, You won't find an apartment in Fremont for $1,500 any more. The average rent for an apartment in Fremont is $2,767.
Ok yeah you got some points, Tesla seems to pay pretty good it seems, I live 'fairly' close for it to be worth the 1.5 hour commute. I mean when I did the math its like I'd make about $300-$400 a day so that's actually pretty good especially for someone with limited skills like me who's only worked entry level jobs.

If only Westward seafoods gives me the job I don't have a choice but I'd probably pick Tesla at this point if they both offer a job.
Thanks.

Old 11-14-2023, 01:20 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
If you can make Tesla work, I would do that. Have you googled peoples' experiences with seafood processing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment