Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 09:09 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is often done by public agencies, including the two that I have worked for. Not only do they study the demographics of merit-based pay increases, but also internal promotions, in order to prevent the appearance of discrimination. When the minority employees are just not as effective, they have to be rewarded anyway. It's just like hiring hiring a less qualified person because they help increase minority hiring goals, no longer can we hire and promote the best.
So it is just back-door affirmative action.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:28 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The overall intent of this is good, but many times, people who otherwise aren't qualified or couldn't do the job get hired/promoted to just "meet the policy goal."

Old 03-26-2024, 12:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
If they are doing it the right way they are going to be reviewing whether merit increases have been granted fairly or if certain demographic subgroups have been favored over others.
Bless your hearts.
There is a reason I refaced my statement with "If they are doing it the right way" - I don't assume they are. When done correctly, these reviews should be looking to determine whether employees of equal merit are getting equal treatment. In other words, making sure that the merit increases are in fact based on merit. When done right, they aren't about equality of outcome.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:57 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So it is just back-door affirmative action.
Corporation run on profit. Those dont perform dont get ahead and may be fired. DEI works for the bottom line. Diversity is strength.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:06 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Corporation run on profit. Those dont perform dont get ahead and may be fired. DEI works for the bottom line. Diversity is strength.
Oh, that’s hilarious!

Old 03-26-2024, 07:09 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
My company listed on their website that they are conducting a DEI review of the merit process. I have a feeling I understand what this means but not entirely. Does anybody know what this is all about?
Go study the Boeing Corporation website in the Careers -> Global Diversity section. They say they are specifically trying to hire more black Americans.

I'm all for hiring whoever's qualified, be they black, brown, blue, pink, orange... but these people are building and testing airplanes that are going to be flying high in the sky with hundreds of souls aboard, counting on the machine to carry them safely to their destination. You want really good people on that job.

Similarly with several major airlines that have announced they want to put more under represented minorities into pilot school. This necessarily means passing over some qualified white or Asian candidates to hire blacks, particularly black women, to meet some arbitrary definition of "diversity".

Similarly, the AAMC (medical school assoc.) is talking about eliminating the MCAT exam because not enough of a certain demographic pass it. No kidding. I've taken that exam and it is fiendish; it tests not only scientific knowledge but analytical thinking, which is key to being a good physician. Dumbing down the medical training process will kill people.

You don't get to be a doctor without a lot of hard work starting in approximately 6th grade and continuing through college. There are no short cuts. Too many kids from black communities all over the U.S. are graduating high school with barely a 6th grade aptitude in English, math, science, writing, etc. and they can't just go into a highly challenging engineering or scientific profession by magic. Life doesn't work that way. It's just wishful thinking.

This is what I would suggest, and I know this is getting dangerously close to politics rather than work and employment but I'll try to avoid that. Fix the schools and raise the standards so that smart kids of all races are challenged to high achievement. Track lower achievers to the trades, as they used to do. We need more people in the trades. For that matter, we need more people who have good STEM knowledge, ability to write and speak fluently, and can think analytically, and depressingly few American college students seem to be achieving this.

Not everyone is cut out to be a surgeon or airline pilot. We should stop with this everyone-gets-a-trophy nonsense and go back to celebrating meritorious achievement. Also many people are well suited to non-office careers and indeed they might even make more money. Frankly I wish I'd learned plumbing instead of computer programming. There's more work than plumbers out there.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:54 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
This thread keeps veering off-topic. This is NOT the P&OC forum, folks. The OP asked a simple question which has been answered. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment