Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 12:08 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not randomly, but specifically yes. I had a supervisor who would do that whenever he forgot his lunch. He'd just eat someone else's. You weren't going to get anywhere confronting him as he was a vindictive SOB. I ate his lunch every time I got the chance. Man it infuriated him. It was awesome.
LMAO! This literally made me crack up. I can't for the life of me imagine eating someone else's food. The heck???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 12:25 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,665,246 times
here's a good one for ya...a looooong time ago in high school my friend (an old farm boy) kept getting his lunch stolen every day..........until one day he brought in a literal cow **** sammich..lol..never stolen again..

Old 03-29-2024, 01:33 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
here's a good one for ya...a looooong time ago in high school my friend (an old farm boy) kept getting his lunch stolen every day..........until one day he brought in a literal cow **** sammich..lol..never stolen again..
I'll remember that. Why not BS Sandwich?

Old 03-30-2024, 07:22 AM

103 posts, read 38,159 times
People are filthy animals. I bring my lunch in a Playmate and my water in a Yeti and keep it in my department. I stopped using the company refrigerator decades ago.

Last edited by CalvinT; 03-30-2024 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-30-2024, 08:46 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I don't understand stealing other people's food. I'm not a big fan of the potluck and not so thrilled about other people's food.

I think I was once accused of stealing coffee from the communal pot. It wasn't me. I was never tempted to drink office coffee because I once saw a coworker take the coffee pot into the bathroom, set it on the counter, do her business, NOT wash her hands and then grab the coffee pot and go make a pot of coffee. I made my own coffee. Anyone remember those Vienna coffees that can in a square can? I was single and that was my morning luxury.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:50 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I can't believe this is as common as some of you say! I only remember one time, years ago, when we had a lunch thief. When confronted, she said, "Oh, I thought food in the fridge was for anyone to eat who wanted it." HUH? Not just because of that but because she was an idiot in general, she was gone after about six weeks.

I am doing Spanish on Duolingo. Today's "story" was about one of the characters, Eddy, complaining to another colega, Elena, that someone had stolen his lunch three times that week. He thinks it's Felipe, another coworker. He decides that the next day, he will bring in a disgusting sandwich of fish and bananas to give a surprise to the thief. The next day, he is disappointed when his sandwich wasn't stolen, and Elena says, "Well, I don't like bananas."

I learned the Spanish words for disgusting, steal, and thief today!

Old 03-30-2024, 08:52 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Someone once stole my corn muffin, back in the 00s. I picked it up on the way into the office from a coffee cart on the street, which usually has day-old stuff, and it was a bit stiff, so I was going to put it in the microwave to freshen it up. Someone was using the microwave, so I left the muffin on the counter in the kitchen and ran to the restroom. When I came back, my muffin was gone.

I was hangry, so I went back to my desk and sent out an email to the departmental list saying, "Whoever stole my corn muffin from the kitchen, I hope you choke to death on it."

I got a message back, "TJ is eating a corn muffin in his office," so I went to see TJ, who was a good guy, and he was like, "I BOUGHT THIS" and I just laughed. About an hour later, I get called in to the assistant director. The director was home and read my email, and said, "We just had a class on bullying and threats in the workplace, what is MQ DOING telling people she hopes they choke to death on the department email?"

I said mea culpa, everyone laughed, and life went on, but later, when I went to another of our offices down the street, I walked into the meeting and everyone started laughing and calling me Corn Muffin.

But damn, I would get up at 5, be on a train by 6:30, in the office at 8, and I was HUNGRY. Don't steal my food.

Alas, I had to give up the corn muffins when I started to look like a corn muffin.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:06 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
The worst food-theft place I worked was when I worked with about 30 women in an office, no men. It was the first place I worked with a full sized fridge. It wasn't just my food that was stolen, we were all hit (except presumably that one person who was doing the stealing). Management had food taken and sent out memos (hand delivered to each employee), I made up printed labels for anyone who wanted and we all labeled our food because we were trying to give the person the benefit of the doubt that maybe they were getting confused (but we didn't believe it). They went after everything - yogurt, Tupperware containers, sandwiches, bottled water. The only thing safe was the labeled breast milk lol! They would do it before lunch and were never caught while I was there.

Like many on this thread, I would leave what I could in my own cubicle. We weren't in a good location to run out and get a replacement lunch and we only got 30 minutes anyway.

The only other time I experienced such lack of consideration for someone else's lunch (or supper) was at a boyfriends house - three guys shared the place and food was often taken from the fridge. Never buy food on Wednesday for a picnic on Saturday, someone will get the munchies Friday night and eat it all without apology. One of the guys put a mini fridge in his room and locked his good stuff in there.

It's just rude.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:19 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
For anyone who doesn't read Ask A Manager, there was a classic lunch thief letter a few years ago

In my own office, there was an incident a few years ago when someone accidentally took someone else's LaCroix because they thought it was their own, but that was easily remedied with no hard feelings.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:31 AM

2,047 posts, read 990,078 times
These stories are terrible...and entertaining! I can't say I've ever experienced food theft at work, but I've mostly worked at places with fewer than ten employees. Kinda hard to steal food if it's just you, the boss, and one other guy. The culprit would be singled out pretty quick.

For those who want retaliation, here's another idea: stick a couple ghost peppers or Carolina reapers carefully into your sandwich, maybe wrapped in a lettuce leaf. Whoever steals that sandwich and chomps into it will be easy to spot - they'll be choking, red-faced, maybe even crying or sweating. Sweet, glorious revenge.

And if nobody steals the sandwich, pull the peppers out and use them for the next sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment