Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 06:50 PM

472 posts, read 438,915 times

Advertisements

I am part of a small team of 4 that they want to perform the duties of the "Lead" as it called. The other three are already trained on the new work but since I was out of the office due to medical issues (Cancer diagnosis followed by surgery/treatment), I have yet to have the training.

The others apparently raised no ire at this but I don't see how my work can train us and expect us to perform the same duties as the better paid Lead without raising our/my pay to match. If I'm going to take on more responsibilities, I personally expect to be paid for that. While the others on my team are the "Keep your head down, do whatever is asked of you like a good soldier," I am not that. It seems like my employer is trying to get away with something illegal/against contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 07:21 PM

376 posts, read 321,600 times
How is it illegal?

Old 04-15-2024, 10:28 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Does your contract (are you union?) define the duties and responsibilities and pay grades of a lead? Don't know about your organization, but "Lead" became the way they got rid of "middle management" jobs at middle management pay rates by redesignating them as "Leads" and downgrading the pay levels. With "Lead" meaning all the duties of a supervisor without the pay or authority of a supervisor. Made a bunch of bean counters happy, but caused a lot of havoc with retention and promotion because there was no promotion with the "promotion."

Old 04-16-2024, 07:42 AM

1,929 posts, read 917,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
It seems like my employer is trying to get away with something illegal/against contract.

There is nothing illegal about your employer asking you to pick up some slack now that you are back at work. That said, it's also not illegal for you to broach your employer and ask for compensation in return for doing a Lead's duties.

Old 04-16-2024, 02:24 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
You appear to be the one with the contract, so what does it say about the matter?

Without anything to go on, nothing sounds remotely illegal.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
There is nothing illegal about your employer asking you to pick up some slack now that you are back at work. That said, it's also not illegal for you to broach your employer and ask for compensation in return for doing a Lead's duties.
Actually, in our company when there is a series progression, with promotions not requiring someone above to leave, one must be doing the work in order to be promoted. So for you, once you start doing the work of the lead would qualify you for being promoted. It's to your benefit to take it on and do it well, so that you will impress your boss and get the raise.

It's not illegal unless you have specific language in a written, signed contract that addresses it. Most will have something like "and other duties as assigned."

Old 04-17-2024, 06:28 AM

1,929 posts, read 917,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's to your benefit to take it on and do it well, so that you will impress your boss and get the raise.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I was just replying based on the OP's opinion of the other employees being "good soldiers" for doing so.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
I am part of a small team of 4 that they want to perform the duties of the "Lead" as it called. The other three are already trained on the new work but since I was out of the office due to medical issues (Cancer diagnosis followed by surgery/treatment), I have yet to have the training.

The others apparently raised no ire at this but I don't see how my work can train us and expect us to perform the same duties as the better paid Lead without raising our/my pay to match. If I'm going to take on more responsibilities, I personally expect to be paid for that. While the others on my team are the "Keep your head down, do whatever is asked of you like a good soldier," I am not that. It seems like my employer is trying to get away with something illegal/against contract.
As other's said - there's no "illegalities" about it unless you have a contract the specifically covers this.

In a real world scenario - it's up to you on how to respond/deal with it. Does taking over the role provide more to put on your resume? Make you more marketable? If so, maybe an opportunity. And better in terms of the career plan?

Bottom line - there's two ways to look at it:
  • Show them you can be the lead, then ask for the promotion.
  • Or, don't lift a finger unless they pay you what you feel is right.

In the end - neither is right/wrong - you have to make that decision. IMO - the 2nd option seems a little myopic.... but it's not my decision to make.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:01 AM

6,036 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:

Look at it from your employer's point of view. The employer plans to promote one of the four to the next higher level and presumably that promotion would come with a nice pay increase. In order to help the employer decide which one of the four to promote, the employer is asking each of the four to do a "test run" as temporary lead to see which one of the four does the best job in that role.

So far, the other three have done their test run. If you refuse to participate in the test, then don't be surprised if the employer scratches you off the list of potential candidates for promotion. Personally, it doesn't sound to me like you have the good of the company at stake. The company wants to promote people who will help the company. It sounds like you are not in that category.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:29 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,479,725 times
Take on the extra role, use it in your next yearly performance review to negotiate a raise or promotion, if it looks like neither will ever happen then use the experience on your resume when looking for a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment