Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
From the Car Talk forum:

Had a little experience with a local Nissan dealership...went through some" rig or more row"

(Note: I first posted this gem in the, "I can't take it anymore", thread, but I think that this thread is more appropriate, hence the double posting.)

I saw that and couldn't figure out what it meant. I looked and looked and thought and thought. Good thing you repeated it because now I know what they're trying to say.

Great example of not being able to communicate. I'm the type of person who takes things literally so if I see "rig or more row" I see a rig (like a truck?) "or" "more" "row" like a row of radishes in the garden or a motion made with oars or a fight between people. It doesn't add up to anything meaningful to me. I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to finally understand what they were saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 11:41 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,147 posts, read 30,451,689 times
rigmarole

Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Saying someone fell for something book, line and sinker.

I've never heard of catching a fish with a book. Must be a very smart fish, too smart to get caught probably.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,464,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I saw that and couldn't figure out what it meant. I looked and looked and thought and thought. Good thing you repeated it because now I know what they're trying to say.

Great example of not being able to communicate. I'm the type of person who takes things literally so if I see "rig or more row" I see a rig (like a truck?) "or" "more" "row" like a row of radishes in the garden or a motion made with oars or a fight between people. It doesn't add up to anything meaningful to me. I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to finally understand what they were saying.
It's a nautical term.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 AM

Remember this from the TV show Frasier?

--Diane returns and is telling a story about swimming in the ocean.

Diane: I suddenly discovered myself entangled in an enormous bed of…of, um…
Niles: Sea kelp?
Diane: Exactly right, sea kelp!
Martin: Oh, that's funny; I thought he said “seek help”

Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 PM

19,157 posts, read 25,396,950 times
From a blog on NJ.com:

"He sounded honest and didnt look like he was pulling the wall over my eyes."

Perhaps the person who posted that statement was, "plastered".

Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM

26,782 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's a nautical term.
rigamarole or rigmarole
1. any long complicated procedure 2. a set of incoherent or pointless statements; garbled nonsense.
From earlier ragman role, a list, probably a roll used in a medieval game, wherin a list of various characters were described in verse, beginning with Ragemon le bon, Ragman the good.
(from dictionaryreference.com)

Where that poster got "rig or more row" is hard to understand.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM

19,157 posts, read 25,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Where that poster got "rig or more row" is hard to understand.
After some good-natured back & forth bantering, the guy who posted that gem actually thanked me for informing him that it was a word, rather than, "a phrase".

I was tempted to ask him what he thought the supposed phrase meant, but I decided to cut my losses at that point and not continue the cyber conversation.
As usual, it appears to be one more indication of...someone who doesn't read...and/or someone who says/writes things without having any concept of what his words might actually mean.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM

455 posts, read 899,502 times
One of my sisters made it well into adulthood believing the phrase "might as well", was "minus well". She would even write it that way.
Neither of us can explain how that happened.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM

455 posts, read 899,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Lucky thing it wasn't a Shih Tzu.
Haha...

"Have you seen this shit zoo?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing