Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times

Advertisements

I was a little disappointed in it too -- just not very believable -- not the sheriff, not the sheriff's office and not using a 45-70 as a long distance sniper rifle. 45-70? Really? They have the trajectory of a .22 short. My dad once killed a coyote on the run from 500 yards with his, but it was 99% luck and came after shooting at dozens of them on the same hillside over several years time.

I don't watch much prime time TV, and I don't think Longmire is going to change that. Too bad.

A few years ago I was hoping that Deadwood would be a good series. That was a huge disappointment. I hope for realism in these shows and never get it. Maybe realism is too boring, or maybe realism isn't believable for the majority of viewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawha View Post
After watching the "Hatfields and McCoys" on the History channel I was looking forward to seeing this series partiuclarly since it was set in Wyoming. Maybe that set my expectations too high because we DVR'd it Sunday and watched it last night. It almost got too the point of looking forward to the next commericial.

Another show that depicts Wyoming's population as a bunch of simple cowboys that live in a world that is about 40 years behind the times. The "Mayberry" little jail was tops on the list.... I almost expected to see Otis the town drunk sitting in it. Some of the material in the dialogue, as it pertains to Wyoming, was even wrong.

I've talked to a lot of people that really liked the books, but this production company apparently couldn't translate it into a good movie. My first clue should have been Lou Diamond Phillips as one of the main characters.

I will probably watch the next one just to make sure it is as bad as I thought.... maybe with my expectations brought back to earth with a big thud, I might warm up to it a little.
Like Bawha, I also DVRd Longmire. I also watched The Hatfields & McCoys, which I thought was pretty good.....but I can't say whether it was really realistic because I wasn't around back then and it obviously didn't take place here in Wyoming! Now I'm not really looking forward to sitting down and watching Longmire. Sounds like it's the kind of show I am good at picking apart. During movies I'm always saying things like "that can't be real", "that is so stupid", "there's no way that could happen", etc., and my hubby's canned answer is "it's ONLY a movie!". I guess I should watch Longmire with the expectation that although it may not depict Wyoming or Wyomingites as we really are it may be entertaining. Will report back later.....coming to you live from Meeteetse, this is Georgia signing off!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
I couldn't picture a town here that looked exactly like the ones in the first show. I liked it anyway. With the crud that is pushed at us for our viewing enjoyment. I like finding a show that is just a good show. I never have been into over thinking a program, I just enjoy it and go on. Television is just something I do until I think of something else to do. Unless it's winter that is.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Unfortunately, I was laying in Sheridan Memorial ICU with tubes and hoses running everywhere, a blood pressure cuff inflating every 10 minutes and 2 nasty, hateful, nurses bugging the hell out of me and trying to watch it. I was drifting in and out so I watched 10 minutes here, and 10 minutes there. What I did see and comprehend, I wasn't impressed. I hope I can watch more or again, now that I'm out of the hospital and semi coherant.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
What the heck did you do to make those nurses so nasty, EH? Whatever, I'm glad you're back on your feet. Stay well....

Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Unfortunately, I was laying in Sheridan Memorial ICU with tubes and hoses running everywhere, a blood pressure cuff inflating every 10 minutes and 2 nasty, hateful, nurses bugging the hell out of me and trying to watch it. I was drifting in and out so I watched 10 minutes here, and 10 minutes there. What I did see and comprehend, I wasn't impressed. I hope I can watch more or again, now that I'm out of the hospital and semi coherant.
Darn those hospitals and nurses! Glad you are home now but sorry to hear you've gone through another bad bout. Hope you're back to your old self soon!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Remember the episode was based on Craig Johnson's first novel in the series, and for one thing, they tried to squeeze the entire story into the first show (as far as I can tell), so there's got to be some corners cut in terms of story flow. For another, I think the stories improve enormously as the series of novels progress (Johnson got better at writing), so maybe the show will, too. It may be that those of us who like the books just enjoy seeing the characters come to life, which they really do--but of course a good TV series must stand on its own. I don't know yet if Longmire does, but I'll keep watching.

Oh, BTW, Deadwood! I watched a few episodes and hated them with a vengeance, especially the totally non-authentic crude language. Then we had so many friends of sound mind and love of Westerns recommend it that we gave it a second chance and rented the entire first season and watched it over a week--and we got hooked! It's only sporadically realistic as a story of Deadwood, but it's a great fantasy about the beginnings of a society. Sort of a "Social Contract" horse opera. And I'll never look at a pig sty the same way again...

Old 06-09-2012, 05:37 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,499 times
EH - Sorry to hear you were held hostage by nasty nurses... Hope you're up and around now - we're looking forward to burgers with you in about 40 days. Be well.

I was really looking forward to Longmire, but have to admit I fell asleep halfway through the pilot.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Watching this show. Love the Wyoming scenery which is actually New Mexico where it's filmed and the southern drawls. Didn't know you folks in Wyoming talked like they do in Tennessee. Anyway, there's nothing else on Sunday night.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Now that I've had a chance to watch a couple episodes, without being heavily sedated, it's not exactly what I expected. I really liked the first two books that I borrowed and read. I think I'm going to head for the book store and pick up the series in books and read the entire series. I'm not real impressed with the way the story was captured on film.

Reading the books, I can picture exactly where he is talking about. The terrain, the trees, the lakes, the creeks, and even the bar that Henry owns is all familiar and for me, that adds a lot to the books and to the story. But watching it in the setting the've chosen, makes no sense to me. Althought the area is beautiful on my big screen, it is NOT the terrain and setting around here, or specifically, where Longmire is supposed to live. The area around Ucross, down to Arvada, and up toward Buffalo, no where close, resembles what they have on TV.

I'll probably watch the rest to see if they get any better, but I'd rather have the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming