Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:04 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Me too.
I tend to go with the flow depending where I post, so sometimes I'll use bmother/mom, nmother or first mother. If I use bmother, I'll use the prefix for amother as well. I prefer bmother to birthmother because I think of the "b" as referring to both birth and biological mother.

However, I find "birth woman" to be just plain offensive. Certainly, anyone using it is doing so to be disrespectful.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I tend to go with the flow depending where I post, so sometimes I'll use bmother/mom, nmother or first mother. If I use bmother, I'll use the prefix for amother as well. I prefer bmother to birthmother because I think of the "b" as referring to both birth and biological mother.

However, I find "birth woman" to be just plain offensive. Certainly, anyone using it is doing so to be disrespectful.
I find woman used in any sort of compound, as in "the woman doctor" or "the painter woman" to be at the very least, coarse. "Birth woman" is no exception.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
How to confuse a co-worker in one easy step:

This morning, one of my colleagues said she needed to quickly fly home to Germany, where her father lives. He's in hospital and not expected to live much longer. I said it was good that she was getting to see him one last time and say good-bye, and that I'd never had that chance with my parents.

"Neithet of them?" she asked.

"Not any of them" I responded.

Of course, she had no way of knowing that I've had three different sets of patents, so she was simply befuddled by my comment .....

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Mother is a verb as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marymarym View Post
I don't think it's appropriate for people to call first mothers, "birth woman". Every adopted child has a first mother and adoptive parents that don't acknowledge that a first mother exists is in denial. Adopting a child and birthing a child are two different things and I don't know why some people want to perpetuate the myth that they are the same thing. Adopted children have a history and identity before being adopted and to deny that is not living in reality.
I will call her whatever I wish to call her. She is not my mother. End of story.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:35 AM

203 posts, read 256,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I find woman used in any sort of compound, as in "the woman doctor" or "the painter woman" to be at the very least, coarse. "Birth woman" is no exception.
I agree Nim. It is coarse to say the least. It is my feeling that referring to a mother as "birth woman" is a purposeful attempt to remove the term "mother" from the context. Which says more about the person using the term than it does about the person to which the term refers.

Of course, people can refer to anyone however they like.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
In all my (mumble mumble mumble) years on earth, I've never heard anyone use the term "birth woman". Is it really such a common occurence?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm7189 View Post
I agree Nim. It is coarse to say the least. It is my feeling that referring to a mother as "birth woman" is a purposeful attempt to remove the term "mother" from the context. Which says more about the person using the term than it does about the person to which the term refers.

Of course, people can refer to anyone however they like.
Yes. It's crazy to me that the term "adopter" was considered a pejorative, but birth woman isn't? It's certainly okay for an adoptee to refer to their family however they see fit (as non-family if that is what they wish), but for adoptive parents to disrespect adoptee's families to such a degree? So hateful & demeaning.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
In all my (mumble mumble mumble) years on earth, I've never heard anyone use the term "birth woman". Is it really such a common occurence?
I don't hear it often, usually you hear egg/sperm donor.... but all of them are particularly special terms used by someone who is desperate for some cognitive dissonance. That's for sure.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 AM

203 posts, read 256,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
Yes. It's crazy to me that the term "adopter" was considered a pejorative, but birth woman isn't? It's certainly okay for an adoptee to refer to their family however they see fit (as non-family if that is what they wish), but for adoptive parents to disrespect adoptee's families to such a degree? So hateful & demeaning.
On these very boards, I have been corrected for using the term "adoptive parents" to identify that I am referring to my, uh, adoptive parents. Apparently, I was supposed to use "parents" and everyone on the internet would know to which parents I was referring. As a reunited adoptee, all four of my parents are currently active in my life. As such, clarification is sometimes needed.

It intrigues me that "adoptive parents" is considered inappropriate by some parents who adopted children yet terms like "birth woman" used by adoptive parents in a dismissive manner is considered by some to be perfectly acceptable.

I think that I will start referring to the mother who raised me as "adopter woman" as this would be the linguistic correlation to "birth woman."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption