Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 08:42 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,394,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have been the recipient of white privilege all of my life. In my few interactions with police - a cracked wind shield and speeding when I was late to work, I was not only given the benefit of the doubt, but I was treated with "kid gloves". I was given a card for a windshield replacement place and told to say "Officer Smith sent you - for a discount. The speeding incident culminated with a warning - and a request for a date. I was not dragged from my car and arrested.
You have probably been the recipent of privelages given to: Humans guilty of minor infractions who do not:
A- mouth off to police ala Texas traffic stop
b- habitually commit crimes ala the guy in Baltimore
c- slap down clerks, shoplift and then saunter down the middle of the street ala Fergurson.

None of the above justifies some police responses, including the killing in Fergurson. Engaging in this behavior, however, greatlky increases the chances of things going downhill with an incompetent police officer

Basically, what you call "white privelages" are also afforded to my asian, black and hispanic co workers. Then again, I doubt very many of my co workers engage in bad habits A, b, or c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 AM

502 posts, read 897,153 times
Just to avoid such a problem in the future, consider having a standard note you send with them stating their age and that they have your permission to swim alone. If they do look younger, it might fix any future problems.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times
Quote:
As a WASP woman, I have been the recipient of white privilege all of my life. In my few interactions with police - a cracked wind shield and speeding when I was late to work, I was not only given the benefit of the doubt, but I was treated with "kid gloves". I was given a card for a windshield replacement place and told to say "Officer Smith sent you - for a discount. The speeding incident culminated with a warning - and a request for a date. I was not dragged from my car and arrested.

These things happened when I was 18-21. I just thought the were normal.
These things ARE normal . . . when one responds to the police in an obedient, respectful manner. This is true, by and large, regardless of what race you are. Well, being asked on a date is not normal, at least not for me. But then again, I'm a guy, and not a particularly attractive one either.

It may also have as much to do with the particular police department you're dealing with as with any racial question. I remember reading a column written by a black Baltimore Sun writer who described being stopped by white police officers in both Baltimore City and suburban Baltimore County, in both cases because his brake light was out. The City officer was rude and belligerent and gave him a ticket, whereas the County officer was friendly, offered up teasing jokes about the quality of his make of car, and let him go with a warning.

Quote:
This summer we joined the local country club, mainly for the use of the pool, tennis and dining facilities. The first time my daughter went there alone, she took two friends - a pretty white girl and a pretty black girl - the salutatorian and valedictorian respectively. (my daughter was 5th in her graduating class, blowing a hole in that Asian myth) When the waiter came to them at the poolside to ask if they wanted lunch delivered, he asked the white girl, Kara "What will you and your friends have?" They all laughed and Kara ordered for him. When it came time to sign for the lunch - he automatically handed it to Kara. Finally, my daughter spoke up and said "I am the member and these are my guests". The guy apologized and they all laughed.
He just mentioned that he did not know of any Asian members and the black members had very young children.

We all thought that was funny. No great harm nor foul.

Now if we were to have freaked out over this, it would have been different.
I'm glad that you took this as simply a humorous misunderstanding and didn't get offended by it. The waiter's explanation makes perfect sense; if he's not aware of any Asian members and knows that the black members have young children, it would stand to reason that in this particular trio of teenagers, it would be the white one that would be the member. If most of the members had been African American, I would bet that he would have handed the bill to the black girl of the group, instead of to Kara.

Quote:
Surprisingly I know of many people who live happily in urban and suburban areas of Texas with out incident.
Why does this surprise you? I don't have much experience with Texas, but its people have always had the reputation of being friendly. Certainly, the Texans I've met have conformed to this "stereotype."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption