Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 11:52 AM

43,720 posts, read 18,742,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
There is an international agreement that has been maintained for a very long time among all countries, prohibiting any exploration or even visiting Antarctica, except for specified visitor areas, for those pre-approved to visit.

There should be a similar international agreement on strict control and oversight of AI development, otherwise it’s not a question of if, but only when, disaster results from rogue AI.
LOL..why do you think we're fighting with Russia and shooting Chinese stuff out of the sky ?
Those are the other 2 countries developing AI and they have more tech graduates than us now...2-3X as many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 12:02 PM

30,408 posts, read 12,008,004 times
Quote:
No, I agree. It’s dependent now on the integrity and benevolence of those who are creating it, and using it, which is a frightening prospect itself. But soon, if not already too late, the self learning, sentient aspects may exceed the human programmer/user’s ability to control it.

We already have AI that can write program code, and it was discovered that AI programs were creating a new language to which they can communicate with each other, that the human programmers couldn’t decipher..
I read about that quite disturbing.

Quote:
So, will it, or is it already programming itself? And, if sentient, will it view itself as alive, to include the fundamental concept of self preservation?

That would obviously lead it to conclude that humans are a threat to it, if we maintained the ability to shut it down. That could easily lead to AI reaching the most logical conclusion that elimination of a threat is more effective than defending against a threat.
As computers they can't kill us off very easily but combine them with military or police type robots and then they could. Black Mirror had an episode where killer robot dogs were killing off the human race.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
LOL..why do you think we're fighting with Russia and shooting Chinese stuff out of the sky ?
Those are the other 2 countries developing AI and they have more tech graduates than us now...2-3X as many.
There are over 300k Chinese nationals in US universities. How many of them go back to China and use their education to compete with us?

Old 02-11-2023, 12:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 1,699,245 times
You cant trust anything you don't program yourself.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:34 PM

3,278 posts, read 1,640,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree its already a mess but going to get much worse. Seems like teachers should be able to catch it. For example if say 20 students ask ChatGPT the same basic information for an essay question would ChatGPT say pretty much the same thing to each student? The teacher could ask ChatGPT the essay question and know when students were using it.
This is some variability in the output, you can also ask it to write in a particular style.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:38 PM

1,918 posts, read 756,381 times
It will be great for retired people. Anyone with the words Analyst, Engineer or Writer in their job titles will be part of the Fentanyl crowd in a few years.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:43 PM

1,124 posts, read 762,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well, what is your point? Do you agree with what the AI said or not?
Why does it matter to you if I agree or not?

Old 02-11-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
It will be great for retired people. Anyone with the words Analyst, Engineer or Writer in their job titles will be part of the Fentanyl crowd in a few years.
At least they will have something to occupy their time.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:25 PM

15,182 posts, read 8,724,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Perhaps you confused my “in an ideal world, should do” with some wild expectation that it would ever be LOL.

As the world exists now, I don’t trust the US government or scientific community to do the right thing anymore than I’d ever trust the Chinese.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:29 PM

18,587 posts, read 7,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
I understand people's concern about AI taking over jobs and the confusion it may cause regarding what is real and what is created by AI. However, I think it's important to look at the bigger picture here.

Yes, it's true that AI may take over certain jobs, but it will also create new job opportunities in areas like AI development, maintenance, and ethical oversight. And as for the confusion about what's real and what's AI-generated, I think this is a problem we'll just have to face head-on as technology continues to advance. It's not just AI, but all forms of technology have the potential to create confusion and blur the lines between what's real and what's not.

We've seen this before with other technological advancements. For example, when the printing press was invented, there were concerns about the spread of fake news and misinformation. And when photography was invented, there were concerns about people being able to easily manipulate images. But we've adapted, and I'm confident that we'll adapt to AI in the same way.

In short, I think that the benefits of AI far outweigh the potential downsides. AI has the potential to greatly improve our lives and make things easier and more efficient. So, let's embrace it and find ways to use it responsibly, instead of being fearful of it.

---------------------------------------------------

Plot twist, the above was written completely by AI (ChatGPT)
Your analysis didn't discuss any of the downsides. It didn't really talk about any benefits, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI