Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM

146 posts, read 789,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenandCharles View Post
Again, thanks for the input. We are looking at Hudson, Chagrin Falls and now Holland, OH. It is really difficult to choose!

We are mainly looking for a nice, safe community that is very involved with each other. We love old houses and snow. We will visit these three but if anyone knows of the "perfect" place in Ohio - just let me know.

Thanks.
Another place you might be interested in is Chardon in Geauga County. You would definitely be happy with the snowfall there...Chardon is the "snow capital of Ohio," averaging a little more than 100" per year. I don't know how involved with each other members of the community are, but it is a nice, safe community with old houses. As for Holland, if you're referring to the one near Toledo (which is the only one I'm aware of), snowfall is rather light compared to Northeast Ohio standards; Toledo's annual average is 38".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,038 times
Thumbs up Chardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
Another place you might be interested in is Chardon in Geauga County. You would definitely be happy with the snowfall there...Chardon is the "snow capital of Ohio," averaging a little more than 100" per year. I don't know how involved with each other members of the community are, but it is a nice, safe community with old houses. As for Holland, if you're referring to the one near Toledo (which is the only one I'm aware of), snowfall is rather light compared to Northeast Ohio standards; Toledo's annual average is 38".

Yes, Subway is absolutely right. You should definitely check out Chardon...it sounds a lot like what you are looking for. Safe, affordable, old houses, and LOTS OF SNOW.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 23,632 times
Hello:

You might be interested in reading Family by Ian Frazier. He writes for the New Yorker and has also published several non-fiction titles. He grew up in Hudson in the 1950's and has some interesting takes on Hudson and Ohio in general.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,698 times
I grew up in Chagrin Falls/Bainbridge for 20+ years and have lived just north of Hudson in Sagamore Hills for 8 years. My sister lives in Hudson and we both have small children. Hudson and Chagrin are both quaint with a sense American charm. There is a sense of growing up in a bubble in both of them. They are both "out of the way" suburbs, which gives them a sense of security.

We chose this area because it's more centrally located and the development we found has a pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, sidewalks and walking trails. The cost of housing is more reasonable - $250,000 - $300,000 will buy you a home on the higher end of what's available in Sagamore Hills, while you'd be more or less in a "starter" home for that in Hudson or Chagrin Falls. I'd also recommend looking at Solon, Twinsburg and Brecksville, although Brecksville is expensive as well. They're all great communities with excellent schools.

There is a true snow belt east of Cleveland. The further south and west you go, the less snow fall you'll have. When we get an inch here, my parents (still in Chagrin) will get four inches.

Regardless of the community, Northeast Ohio is a WONDERFUL place to raise a family! I've spent time in every area of the country and this is one of the most down-to-earth, culturally active (theater, concerts, etc.), and cost-effective places to live. Coming home to Ohio after living in California was such a wonderful return to reality and affordable living! Best of luck to you!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 72,771 times
Thank you so much for all the information. It is nice to get feedback. I will look into Sagamore Hills as well.

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 78,960 times
Actually, the fact that the two towns you mention are "Chagrin Falls" and "Hudson" tells me you have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for since those two towns are very, very similar and, in fact, often compared.

I have no firsthand knowledge (other than growing up near both, with family spending much time in CF).

Both areas are very, very "upscale" for Ohio. So the cost of living is not for the budget minded perhaps.

I would tend to side with Chagrin Falls because the river is so gorgeous (and the Popcorn shop!) but that's just based on family bias.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 59,762 times
We close on a house in early February in Hudson – moving from the Baltimore, MD area. Just to address some of the issues raised above - from an outsider who is planning on raising our family there, but has not lived there yet……..

As far as “cost of living” and “most expensive cities in Ohio” comments – what exactly are these referring to? Is the income tax really more expensive then Twinsburg or Macedonia? I know the property taxes is not that far off from these two adjacent commuities. Are you referring to “housing prices”? To me, that is all relative to what you are use to. We found Hudson to be cheap – we sold our 1300 square foot townhome w/street parking in a so-so school district for $300,000 here in Maryland. The home we will close on in Hudson would have been $750,000 here in Baltimore County, but we are going to pay low 300s in Hudson. Does a hamburger really cost more at McDonalds in Hudson then in Twinsburg or Streetsboro?

Or are these comments referring to the median household income of $112,000 and not "cost of living", but the perceived "cost to keep up". Believe me, when I saw that (well after getting into our home search), I was surprised. We fall a little short of this number – LOL – as my wife is a stay at home mother of 2. My feeling on this is, yes, there are some well off people that live in Hudson, but if you let yourself get caught up in a material competition, then that is your own fault.

We looked at homes in both Macedonia and Twinsburg, but chose Hudson for its quaint charm, large lots, the homes seem to have some character (ie no Ryan or Pulte developments popping in 100 homes in 6 months, all on top of each other), and one of the best schools systems in the state.

It seems to me that the people that have a “comment” about Hudson (and we have gotten a few when we tell people where we will be living) have never lived there and are basing their info of others, so I guess we’ll find out.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
To Bucco, I'm not sure what comments you're referring to when you tell people about Hudson, but if some believe that it is somewhat of a snotty/snobby community, it does have a slight reputation of being as such. From what I've read that you're looking for, Hudson, OH should be right up your alley; this is not a criticism; many people are looking for exactly what Hudson has to offer. By the way, I've lived in Ohio for 35 years now, and live about 30 minutes from Hudson, OH - have been there many times for recreation, for business, and for shopping. I also have friends that live there. It is a very good community, excellent schools, is safe. If you want protective bubble, homogenous community, minivan/SUV, soccer mom heaven, Hudson's for you. Hudson, OH has nice shopping, upper-class clientele. Hudson is also a close drive if you're going up to Cleveland or the Cleveland suburbs for work, shopping, education, etc.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:08 PM

9 posts, read 59,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnintennessee View Post
I was born and raised in Cuyahoga Falls.

I can tell you if your thinking about living in Hudson.
You better have a big bank account.

Thats one off the most expensive citys in Ohio.

Not to mention the fact that your from out of town.
People in Hudson are not very friendly to outsiders.

Unless your a complete reclouse I wouldn't suggest it.
Dona7 - I was referring to this post. Keep in mind, I don't live there yet, so all I was inquiring about was "why is it the most expensive city in Ohio" As far as expenses are concerned, I don't see much of a difference other then people might be a little more wealthy in Hudson.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,692 times
I have lived in Hudson, Ohio for quite some time and have had a wonderful experience. All three of my children have gone through Hudson Schools, had different experiences, but all would say they loved it and were well prepared for the "real world."

My family lived in Munroe Falls and Stow, Ohio and while both were good towns, they didn't have the sense of community Hudson had to offer. People welcomed us with open arms, gift baskets, etc. There were groups and clubs for the entire family to get involved in.

The main roads through town are still 2 lanes, one for each direction of traffic, and are able to maintain the quaint, warm feeling of Hudson. There is a combination of history and trend in downtown. There is a huge historical district but good shopping, too.

Growing up out of state, I was worried to move, especially to a town that was a littler higher class from where I was from, but it was a good decision.

I hope you are happy with wherever you see best for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton