Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 72,751 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Ohio from Wisconsin. We are looking into Hudson Ohio. It appears to be a very nice town with good schools however all of this is according to the internet and I would like opinions from people who live or have visited Hudson (or know anything about Hudson). We have three young children (one will be entering the 2nd grade and the other two are younger). We both will be working from home.

Are the schools good? Are the people friendly? Is it a nice, charming town?

Any information you could provide would be helpful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
I Was In Hudson Over The Holidays,it Was Always A Quiet Upscale Little Town,very Pretty And Still Is. But The Growth Was Amazing To Me The Once Quiet Rural Roads Were Now Four Lane Streets With Store After Store. But It Seemed To Retain Its Little Town Atmosphere With All Of This. I Would Live In Hudson In A Heartbeat....if I Could Afford It

Old 01-13-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 17,667 times
Default Hudson, Ohio

I was taken to Hudson, Ohio from the Hospital, after birth, and lived there for the next 20 years.

It is a great town to raise a family. The school system is rated as one of the best in Ohio. I went from kindergarden through graduating High School in Hudson. One of the few schools, today, that really watch your children and take an honest interest in what they want to achieve.

Good luck and I know you will be glad you made this decission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaureenandCharles View Post
My family and I are moving to Ohio from Wisconsin. We are looking into Hudson Ohio. It appears to be a very nice town with good schools however all of this is according to the internet and I would like opinions from people who live or have visited Hudson (or know anything about Hudson). We have three young children (one will be entering the 2nd grade and the other two are younger). We both will be working from home.

Are the schools good? Are the people friendly? Is it a nice, charming town?

Any information you could provide would be helpful.

Thank you.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 PM

Thank you for your input. It is a daunting task to just pick a town in a state you have never visited. We can live anywhere in the Northern part of the state. Hudson seems nice however from my research most of Ohio seems nice. I have recently read about Huron that looks nice as well. We will visit both. I hope Hudson gets snow!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,017 times
I was born and raised in Cuyahoga Falls.

I can tell you if your thinking about living in Hudson.
You better have a big bank account.

Thats one off the most expensive citys in Ohio.

Not to mention the fact that your from out of town.
People in Hudson are not very friendly to outsiders.

Unless your a complete reclouse I wouldn't suggest it.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 PM
mjd

14 posts, read 74,037 times
I live 15 minutes away from Hudson and wish that we would have moved there instead. It is very pretty with lots of amenities...shopping, a local theater, community events, etc. It is about halfway between Akron and Cleveland, so you can take advantage of events in both cities. There is a mix of newer developments and older beautiful homes. It is definitely a more upscale place to live. There is some concern that it is a bit isolated in that it is pretty homogenous, and therefore some say that a child growing up there could believe that the world is really that picturesque and comfortable everywhere. That is why we initially shyed away from it...I now realize that at home we could have and do teach our kids differently, so I shouldn't have been as concerned about that factor. I have a good friend who moved there and has had no problem making friends...there is a very active preschool parents group for parents and kids 6 and under. I agree that it is very difficult to make a decision like this from a distance...we are doing the same now considering a move to Pittsburgh. These forums can be helpful, but also more confusing! If you are looking for a pretty, comfortable place to live with lots to offer, Hudson is a good choice. If you are looking for something with more of a city feel or more overall diversity, it may not be the best.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:53 PM

Thank you again for your information. Is Hudson considered safe? Also, how pricey as the housing doesn't look too outrageous? Are their sections you wouldn't want to live?

We are not looking for a city feel however would like some shopping. The town we live in now is 1,900 - charming and quaint. I have looked at Chagrin Falls but can't find out as much about it.

Thanks again for your comments.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
mjd

14 posts, read 74,037 times
In terms of quaint, you can't go wrong with either Chagrin Falls or Hudson. Both have small to medium size downtowns with mostly local shops but some national chains, especially in Hudson. They are in different parts of town entirely. Both are very safe. . Both places are pretty "yuppie-ish" but Chagrin Falls is a bit more removed from the cities of Akron and Cleveland and on the border of Geauga county which has lots of land - it is very pretty out there. Hudson is closer to the communities of Twinsburg and Solon - Solon has alot of shopping and is an area with many new larger housing developments. Chagrin Falls has more of an "out for a Sunday drive" feel - I know a woman who lived nearby who said that the locals call the influx of people on a beautiful fall or summer weekend "cone lickers" because it is crowded downtown with people who come in from other areas to walk around, shop, and get ice cream at the local popcorn shop.

If I were to move to Hudson I would look for someplace in walking distance of downtown and probably an older home, but that is just my taste. There are many developments with newer very large homes as well.

If you want to describe what you are looking for more specifically in terms of types of area, feel of the community, schools, churches, proximity to work or other places, etc., I can try to be more specifically helpful.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM

34 posts, read 189,911 times
When my husband and I first moved to Akron, we got lost and ended up in Hudson. We drove around there for an entire afternoon just gazing at the beautiful houses. I've met quite a few people who live there, and I mostly hear the same things over and over. The houses are expensive there and man of the residents tend to judge you by your car/house/clothes. The schools are excellent in the sense that your children will learn a great deal, but they are very homogeneous as someone else mentioned, so there is a great deal of peer pressure. The kids are often times viewed as "snobbish". These are the only downsides I've ever heard of Hudson, and obviously not everyone fits into these stereotypes! It's a very clean, safe place to live.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:23 PM

Again, thanks for the input. We are looking at Hudson, Chagrin Falls and now Holland, OH. It is really difficult to choose!

We are mainly looking for a nice, safe community that is very involved with each other. We love old houses and snow. We will visit these three but if anyone knows of the "perfect" place in Ohio - just let me know.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton