Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 PM

67 posts, read 242,364 times

Advertisements

It has been so sad seeing so much of the fiesta having to be cancelled because of the rain and storms and wind.

I have some friends who met us up here for this year's fiesta and they are so very disappointed. Oh well, what can you do? We have had the extra time to be able to take them out to some different restaurants so they could enjoy some fine New Mexican cuisine. So far they have been happy with the food. I am trying to get them used to eating green chiles in and with everything.

GQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,429,406 times
Now that the ballons are up and wafting, I'm wondering where they're landing.

Drove along Hwy 313 yesterday, between Bernalillo and Alameda, but saw only a couple balloons.

Where have they gone?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:38 PM

67 posts, read 242,364 times
Yeah, the rains have stopped and the gas race got underway last night. Our friends are now enjoying the balloons. :-)

GQ

Old 10-12-2006, 09:41 AM

710 posts, read 2,964,390 times
Yesterday and today were perfect, hopefully the storm predicted for this weekend will miss the Albuquerque area. It always breaks my heart to have bad weather during the fiesta with so many people traveling to see this wonderful event.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,629,763 times
Default 2008 Balloon Fiesta - What Should We See?

I suspect there are quite a few of us who will be experiencing our first Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta this year

What should we absolutely not miss?

I already figured out one should use the Park 'N Ride if at all possible.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:54 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,725,855 times
I almost would like to shoot myself in the skull reading this question. Why?

ADMITTEDLY VERY SELFISHLY ...Because I realize that a) I am not going to be a part of this Balloon Fiesta period, b) I d**n well could (and should) have been, c) This will be my 2nd year away from ABQ during the Fiesta, and d) the Fiesta rules.

So Yukon, from a fellow who went through 4 Fiestas as a complete outsider, here is my very, very biased and personal suggestion:

A) Go to a Balloon Glow / Glo-de-o (or however the acronym goes) - ideally on the first Friday night of the Fiesta. Get there at 4pm or so. Enjoy dinner there. Enjoy the warm sun as it sets and the cool high desert evening air as it starts to waft over, including watching the glorious ABQ sunset. The buzz and vibe of the grounds, with the beautiful glowing balloons (pre-fireworks) is a very enjoyable evening.

B) Hit the Balloon Fiesta on a Saturday morning. Get there if by transit not later than probably 4am and if by car not later than 5am.

You'll get there in the chill of the early AM high desert black morning air. You can bustle into the various vendor tents, trying to wake up (only being aided by the chill of the morning's crisp desert air).

After some tent-viewing, watch the very pretty "Morning Patrol" first lit up balloon wafting high in the black sky.

Then, after the "Morning Patrol" balloon, quickly hustle for your 1. BREAKFAST BURRITO (complete with many, many and much huevos, queso, papas, carne [likely bacon] and tons and tons of chile) and 2. HOT CHOCOLATE (or pinon coffee).

Grab the afforementioned culinary treats and rush back (satisfying your taste and smell buds) to watch dawn break over glorious ABQ. See the blaze of the early morning gigantic sun bake over the Sandias Mountains in gold glory to the East.

Shortly thereafter, stand in glee and amazement at the legions of balloons that - by flock - start to fill up and let it rip into the early AM ABQ air. You will see hundreds of these go up...and all will be incredibly fun and boggling to watch go up - especially in those numbers. Cameras will be clicking like mad (if you don't have one, you'll be scrambling to buy a disposable one, wishing you had brought it). The buzz of the crowd will be high. The roar of the play-by-play announcer guy will be broadcasting messages in a comforting way over the crowd.

All the while, you'll have gotten there in cool 45 degree to 60 degree early morning high desert air, and by the time you leave, you'll be under warm and sunny 70 to 80 degree high desert warm conditions, shedding your warm coat for short sleeves; couple this quick warm up with the burrito/drink and hoopla accompanying, and you'll be ready for a nap in the afternoon shade outside.

Yukon, no matter what you do, if you experience Ballon Fiesta in some manner, you'll be so, so, so far better off than the rest of us that aren't in ABQ, it is unreal. Remember us when you are in paradise!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,393,597 times
That pretty much sums it up, but I'd also add, if you can get a ride take it. Also go to the balloon museum which will give a better appreciation for the sport, and it's really interesting.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:46 AM

361 posts, read 1,093,372 times
...another great post EnjoyEP.

yukon:

When I lived in ABQ I guess I took it for granted that the Balloon Fiesta was there every year, so I didn't always go - wish I had gone more often though. It's really a beautiful sight to see.

Anyway, I went last year when I was visiting family, and I had taken a friend from Chicago with me. He'd never seen the Balloon Fiesta, and it was really amusing to watch an adult run from balloon to balloon, awestruck, with the energy and excitment of a child, clicking picture after picture.

As for me - I'd seen the Balloon Fiesta many times when I was growing up, but I was still awestruck myself.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,558 times
How long can we expect to sit in traffic to get into the Balloon Fiesta? We are going as hubby's company is a sponsor and we have free admission, parking, dinner, ect. The reason I ask is because I really, really want to go to a craft fair at Walatowa Visitor Center that day, and need to plan timewise.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,921,675 times
as EnjoyEP said, make sure you go to a Glow, a Mass Ascension, and a Special Shapes day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque