Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,533 times

Advertisements

My friend is in his 40s and is having really severe reactions/swellings and flu like symptoms. I have encouraged him to see an allergist. Does anyone have any further suggestions to help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Just FYI:

The OFF repellent clip-on device works well, I am told...
and the DEET wet-wipe repellent is easy to carry around.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 AM

He has tried the OFF clip and it didn't help. I will ask if he's used DEET.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
First, let me preface by stating I'm not referring to the common Mosquito bite and the body's reaction to it by localized swelling and minor itch. I'm talking about a severe allergic reaction that gets hot to the touch, blisters with eventual puss oozing, and a size of 3-4" in diameter if we catch it early to swelling of half the arm on a 3yo. Once she had a reaction so bad we had to take her to the hospital and was admitted. The original prognosis was MRSA but later came back negative. There is so little known about this type of allergy that prevention is the only course of action. I am well-versed in prevention and treatment. During summer she gets daily Zyrtec which does help control the reaction if bitten. She also gets DEET applied before heading outside. Sometimes mistakes happen and spots are missed. When she receives a bite a topical steroid ointment is applied which was prescribed by her doctor. This cream is fantastic! She also receives an oral dose of Benadryl. However, I still have not found anything that will relieve her of the itch. It's hard on her to deal with the itching and hard on me to watch her deal with it.
I'm curious about experiences others have had with this type of allergic reaction.
I'm also curious as to how long their child carried this allergy before they grew out of it.

Please understand that if you *think* your child has "Skeeter Syndrome" they probably don't. You will KNOW your child has it because the reactions are nothing like you've ever seen before!
I use to live in Northern Maine and if anyone on here has EVER lived that far north, you will know what BLACK FLIES are. I was deathly allergic to the bites from BLACK FLIES. They are these little kamokazi (sp?) bugs who will dive bomb you and entangle themselves in your hair, bite every exposed part of your body and leave behind these grapefruit sized bumps (at least on me) all over your body. You can walk around looking like a crater head for days with these bumps and ITCH..ARRRRRRGH...there is nothing like the reaction even on a mild level. The Northern Maine folks use "FLY DOPE" or as we city folk call it Insect Repellant, in buckets. I was so allergic that one bite would send me to the emergency room which I might add was 17 miles away. By the time I got there my breathing was usually in jeopardy and a shot of adrenaline was needed. So, what did I do?? I lived like this for 10 years literally bathing in FLY DOPE then divorced my NIT of an ex husband and moved back to CT where a mosquito bite was actually a relief from the viciousness of these BLACK FLIES.
Things I learned living in Northen Maine about BLACK FLIES:
1. Don't EVER plan on having a conversation outside during the warm weather without having to wave your had over your head fan style to keep BLACK FLIES away.
2. Plan to swallow at least a dozen BLACK FLIES while you are trying to talk.
3. Any prolonged sitting outside in the evening requires a "smudge building" ceremony which consists of parting the grass, starting a small fire then tossing green grass on top of it to create smoke.
4. Stock up on FLY DOPE..then buy stock in OFF insect repellant to hopefully make up for the cost.
5. Buy cheesecloth to go OVER your screen windows cuz them little BUGGERS can wiggle thru a normal screen.
6. Do NOT wear any special perfume/cologne outside cuz the BLACK FLIES LOVE that sweet smell and will charge. You gotta smell all fly dopey to keep them away..so romantic.
7. When all else fails MOVE to a place where mosquitos are your only threat...cuz you aint lived til you have had to do battle with the MAINE BLACK FLY

Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 99,177 times
I have heard lemon grass with tea tree oil works best. You can buy this premade at walmart. I bathe then add skin so soft to my bath. I then reapply with the gel oil throughout the day. Seems to help. The clip on thing did nothing for me.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 AM

10 posts, read 23,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
First, let me preface by stating I'm not referring to the common Mosquito bite and the body's reaction to it by localized swelling and minor itch. I'm talking about a severe allergic reaction that gets hot to the touch, blisters with eventual puss oozing, and a size of 3-4" in diameter if we catch it early to swelling of half the arm on a 3yo. Once she had a reaction so bad we had to take her to the hospital and was admitted. The original prognosis was MRSA but later came back negative. There is so little known about this type of allergy that prevention is the only course of action. I am well-versed in prevention and treatment. During summer she gets daily Zyrtec which does help control the reaction if bitten. She also gets DEET applied before heading outside. Sometimes mistakes happen and spots are missed. When she receives a bite a topical steroid ointment is applied which was prescribed by her doctor. This cream is fantastic! She also receives an oral dose of Benadryl. However, I still have not found anything that will relieve her of the itch. It's hard on her to deal with the itching and hard on me to watch her deal with it.

I'm curious about experiences others have had with this type of allergic reaction.
I'm also curious as to how long their child carried this allergy before they grew out of it.

Please understand that if you *think* your child has "Skeeter Syndrome" they probably don't. You will KNOW your child has it because the reactions are nothing like you've ever seen before!
I'm female, 48yo, and my reactions to mosquito bites just keeps getting worse. The actual "bump" of the bite swells into odd shapes (with the look of being filled with fluid) and the comparible size o a half dollar and the itch is unbearable for days. The area surrounding the bite gets feverish and bruised feeling. The bruising feeling lasts for days, and the whole area is large enough to cup my palm over and larger. I got a few bites two nights ago, one on my left elbow, and as I type this, i can feel the brusiing and almost a numbness to it. I refuse to stay indoors (though I pay for being outside). I was looking for opinions from others as I came across your question about "growing out of it". I still havent. The stronger the deet, the better (100% worked the best), but . . it is extremely toxic. I got quite sick off just the fumes. I tend to use the 30% deet now but am extremely cautious about washing hands thouroughly after application, using my arm to wipe hair out of face, etc . . .and especially eating afterwards. Unfortunately, I dont think any amount of deet would be good for your little one. Still looking for a relief myself!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM

That is interesting-- your symptoms and age is similar to my friend. He is also a smoker, and I have read that mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide, which smokers definitely give off. (No way to get hom to quit, however, so I am not even barking up that tree.) I have known him for years and this allergy has really developed rather quickly. He did have mysterious "itches" that were attributed to some allergy to detergent, but no mosquito issue.

I recently bought some handmade lye soap to send to him that is supposed to help with itches. Does anyone have experience with that?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmb63 View Post
I'm female, 48yo, and my reactions to mosquito bites just keeps getting worse. The actual "bump" of the bite swells into odd shapes (with the look of being filled with fluid) and the comparible size o a half dollar and the itch is unbearable for days. The area surrounding the bite gets feverish and bruised feeling. The bruising feeling lasts for days, and the whole area is large enough to cup my palm over and larger. I got a few bites two nights ago, one on my left elbow, and as I type this, i can feel the brusiing and almost a numbness to it. I refuse to stay indoors (though I pay for being outside). I was looking for opinions from others as I came across your question about "growing out of it". I still havent. The stronger the deet, the better (100% worked the best), but . . it is extremely toxic. I got quite sick off just the fumes. I tend to use the 30% deet now but am extremely cautious about washing hands thouroughly after application, using my arm to wipe hair out of face, etc . . .and especially eating afterwards. Unfortunately, I dont think any amount of deet would be good for your little one. Still looking for a relief myself!
From what I've read from the CDC the higher percentage of DEET just represents how long it will last meaning 10% DEET will provide the same protection from mosquitoes but you'll have to reapply more often to continue the coverage.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/toolkit/DEET.pdf

Next time you get bit take 4 baby aspirin. The reason I suggested baby aspirin is that it's chewable and will react faster. I tried it with my daughter along with the prescribed cream and the results were tremendous compared to the cream alone.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 8,848 times
I am 28 years old, I first noticed a bad reaction to mosquito bites when I was 19, I went to the emergency room and was given a topical cream, which did help. Since then I have been bitten by some mosquitos here and there, but without any real reactions, till this summer. The bites this summer have bee worse than ever bfore. I can't say that I have had a flu shot or any immune problems... which makes me think that it just might be the mosquitos! I never had this as a child, and sometime only get a normal reaction to a bite. Who's to say that its not the mosquitos that have changed?? I'm not sure, but I'm trying to do research if this skeeter syndrome is something that has come up within the last 10 to 15 years. One person said that they had it as a child, then grew out of it. This is the first I've ever heard of it... any info is helpful.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
The best and fastest relief I've found for the severe kind of itch from some bug bites is to rub an ice cube over it for a few minutes.
It lasted for hours.
I admit it did nothing for the hornet sting I got this week but there is no harm in trying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies