Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

My 10 y.o. daughter has had that kind of reaction but not every time she is bitten. Also she seems to attract more bugs than anybody else in the family. We spray her down just to go to the mail box. Yesterday I asked her to water the plants on the front porch. Took about 6 minutes but she came back with about 10 bites. the most painful was behind her knee. Gave her benadryl - the dog also takes that-, put ice and was mad at myself for sending her out unprotected. about the only outside activity she can do this time of year is swimming. can't stand to think she will have this her entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 13,464 times
Hello,
Hope this isn't too late, but wanted to throw my wife's story into this thread in hopes to help others. We are in San Antonio, Tx and this year the misquitos are terrible. My wife is now 35 and over the last 2-3 years she has gone from slight allergy to skeeter syndrome. The slightest bite turns to immediate burning of the area, falled by welts, the the entire limb swelling. The only non-prescribtion remedy is 1-2 Benedryl, which will put her down for 16-24 hours. She now goes outside, long sleeve, long pants, covered in OFF, with an OFF fan, after we spray OFF outdoors, with several citranela candles lite, and mesquito trap running. If she is lucky, we get 5 mins before they start attacking. And I spray ourporperty weekly. I can empathize with the other posters here, it doesn't get better. Her symptoms have started later in life in regards to skeeter syndrome. It always bothered her, but never this bad. She suffers from an auto immune disease called dertmatomyositis, which is in remission. It alarms me that the skeeter syndrome is popping up and wonder if her disease is coming back. Just my 2 cents. hope this helps. Thanks

SA Jalepeno

Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 13,359 times
Default I have the same thing.

I am 23 yrs old and have been bitten by mosquitos my whole life & never had a problem. The past few months when i get bitten, the spot swells up huge. like golf ball sized knots under the skin. Mine as well are red and shiney. They itch insanely and really bother the muscle that lies underneath. This is weird to me because ive never had any kind of reaction like this. I can only imagine ive developed an allergy. Just today i got 3 on my legs (which prompted this search) and my legs feel week and numb aside from the areas of itchyness. I would have to agree and say its gotta be an immune dificiency that sparked this as i smoke and am not as healthy as I used to be. I will go to a allergist tomorrow and let you know if i hear anything new.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,305 times
Hi! I am so glad to have actually researched my hideous and extreme pain from mosquito bites. I have had very bad reactions to them my whole life, I am now 18 years old. Up to the age of about 12, I would get the worst allergic reactions to the bites. It was so painful and I would get a good 10-15 bites at a time over my body. When I was younger I would scream and cry from the pain of my bites, and my parents had never seen anything like it and didn't know how to deal with it. They never went to a doctor about it and I have never really thought a lot of it, but I have been getting terrible allergic reactions again just like I did when I was a child. The mosquito bites were bad in my teens, but never how they were when I was a child, it seemed like I had grown out of it until now. I am completely covered in bites. They have swollen up my ankles, my feet and toes. They burn and itch and blow up to a bubble like form, and when popped, yellow puss comes out. It is a disgusting allergy which I am so ashamed of having and can not stand having any more.

I am going to Fiji next week, and the mosquitos are apparently everywhere. I dont know how to control my reaction. Should I see a doctor? or just continue packing on insect repellent?

I am quite positive that I have Skeeter Syndrome as I looked it up online and others that have it, get the same reactions that I do. Is there a cure to control this?

Thankyou so much!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,576 times
my daughter has been bitten twice thus far and both time it swelled up and was hot to touch the most recent was this past weekend she got bit on her left arm below her elbow and after church we went to Walgreens where the pharmacist told us he had never seen a reaction to a mosquito bit before and told us to give her Benadryl (which we did ) and it seemed to help and yesterday I took her to the doctor and he gave her Zyrtec and a cream to put on it but now this morning while getting ready for school she told me it stings when she goes outside not sure if should consult the doctor or what. And I noticed yesterday at the doctors that on her knee where she was bit there is a bruise.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,274 times
Default Same problem

If they bite me near the joints, the affected joints will be painful to move. A yellowish gunk oozes out of my bites for days. I started having this in grade school and continue to have it. I live in NYC with no yard, and sometimes I think it's a bummer that I don't live somewhere where I can enjoy the outdoors now, but I actually can't enjoy the outdoors. Because I act, I can't risk getting visible bites so all summer I constantly spray myself with repellent. I don't even worry about ingesting it. There is no remedy I have ever tried that has ever reduced swelling, pain, or itching.
I have noticed that my immune system over-reacts to colds, to the extent that I have to take an antihistamine to just have a normal cold experience.
Also, I have had flu and other shots OK, but when I last had a tetanus shot, it hurt to use that arm for about two days. In fact, because they did it in my right arm, I did not go to school for the next two days because I found it too painful to write, and I couldn't use it to carry books or open a door. Basically I was able to lie on the couch and cry. I am actually way overdue for a tetanus shot because I dread repeating that experience.
I don't have any other health problems.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM

26 posts, read 64,603 times
There is a vasculitis where the vein pops up after needle use - its rare, called Behcet's. As far as I know, mosquito allergies, no matter how severe they are, are self resolving and unrelated to flu vaccines. Folks that have an anaphylactic (not localized) reaction to flu vaccines are usually acutely egg allergic. My son had the mosquito issues (8" disks swollen from bites) - he is five now and gets more typical responses - red, raised, but not super wacky. I clean the wound w alcohol (get as much of the saliva out), and then use whatever is required: benadryl at night, or calamine during the day, or topical antihistamine (zolonon rx) or topical steroid (also rx). When your child is old enough, if she does not have a known PID, she can get a live vaccine - flu mist - which is inhaled up the nose. It is counter indicated in folks who are immune compromized, however. GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,591 times
Default Itch Relief.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
First, let me preface by stating I'm not referring to the common Mosquito bite and the body's reaction to it by localized swelling and minor itch. I'm talking about a severe allergic reaction that gets hot to the touch, blisters with eventual puss oozing, and a size of 3-4" in diameter if we catch it early to swelling of half the arm on a 3yo. Once she had a reaction so bad we had to take her to the hospital and was admitted. The original prognosis was MRSA but later came back negative. There is so little known about this type of allergy that prevention is the only course of action. I am well-versed in prevention and treatment. During summer she gets daily Zyrtec which does help control the reaction if bitten. She also gets DEET applied before heading outside. Sometimes mistakes happen and spots are missed. When she receives a bite a topical steroid ointment is applied which was prescribed by her doctor. This cream is fantastic! She also receives an oral dose of Benadryl. However, I still have not found anything that will relieve her of the itch. It's hard on her to deal with the itching and hard on me to watch her deal with it.

I'm curious about experiences others have had with this type of allergic reaction.
I'm also curious as to how long their child carried this allergy before they grew out of it.

Please understand that if you *think* your child has "Skeeter Syndrome" they probably don't. You will KNOW your child has it because the reactions are nothing like you've ever seen before!

I have a 10yr old who was dx with Skeeter Syndrome around 4 years ago. Like your child, mine was given Zyrtec and also Singular (instead of benadryl). Two years ago we discovered this lotion called Sarna Anti-Itch Lotion. I'm not sure where your located but you can find it on-line (amazon,walmart,target,drugstore.com, skinestore.com) and it ranges in price and you can get it in original and sensitive skin. It smells pretty bad but I swear it works at least it does for my child. As you know it's important for our children not to itch or the swelling/blisters/infections start. I personally smear my daughter in the lotion when I notice a bite and apply an ice pack, if I get to it fast enough it helps the itching A LOT! Don't be afraid to apply ice whenever she's itching it, ice compresses will help relieve the itch.

Last year she was taken off Zyrtec and singular and she started immunotherapy when it was discovered she was allergic to our cat and dog. She is now on Levocetirizine (Xyzal) and we've noticed that she's only had a few really really severe reactions this year compared to previous years. She's also suffers from PMLE so she has to be careful in the sun or she breaks out in a rash, the Sarna also provides itch relief from that.

I hope that helps and that you can find Sarna in your area. So far it's the only lotion i've found that works, I've also tried Aveno 24 hour daily moisturizer, but it only worked for a little while and then she'd start to itch as soon as my back was turned.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
^Thank you for your time and recommendation!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 11,288 times
Thanks for this thread. Finally I have figured out what's wrong with me!

I only developed this symptom when I turned 40, just 2 years ago. I thought maybe mosquitoes these days have mutated haha Because I never experienced such terrible swelling, at some point blistering. One time I had to be hospitalised. I consulted 3 different doctors on different occasions and all they can give me is an anti itch meds.

When I was confined, the doctor just said that it is cellulitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies