Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 11,288 times

Advertisements

Now what I do is just wash the bites with anti bacterial soap 3-4x a day, swelling subsides. For bigger swelling, I also use an ointment Terramycin (poly mucin b sulfate+ bacitracin zinc + neomycin sulfate) just to avoid blistering or further infections.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:07 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhg View Post
I am 42 and have skeeter syndrome. I also have crohns disease and I believe that this has something to do with my mosquito reaction. Crohns is an auto immune disorder for those who don't know. Skeeter syndrome is a immune response. I never had a reaction to mosquitoes until after being diagnosed with crohns. I am currently battling a bite on my hand that has caused it to swell twice it's normal size. Have been bitten on the eye several times and look like I have just stepped out of the boxing ring. Just a suggestion and don't want to worry anyone but I would question Dr as to why your child is having this type of immune response. I know why I do because of crohns. My nephew does the same thing and he has immune issues. He is also allergic to the sun. Wishing you the best
On my last visit to Greece I was also bit on the eye the very first day of my holiday, I had to wear sunglasses all the time even a tnight as it took a full week to go away... it was horrible, my whole eye shut over and it was swollen and itchy... spoiled my whole holiday... my first ever bites were on Orlando though eight years before this... I hadnt been bitten before, but then hadnt had very many holidays in hotter places.my whole back was covered in what looked like boils..horrendous, since then Ive dreaded going on holidays..as I cant use mosquito creams or use those smelly electric things , they make me ill.so now I holiday more in Ireland , Scotland and England, my husband never gets bitten.. and he doesnt understand how distressing it is for me and still insists on booking a holiday abroad.. I just cant be bothered with the hassle as it leave me feeling and looking very ill... I do wear those wee wristbands although they must be full of DEET as well.. Ive taken garlic pills weeks before going on holiday and they must like it.....

Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
That's funny that it's called Skeeter Syndrome. It reminds me of a hillbilly talking :I got bit by a skeeter and I"m itchin like the dickens.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
I was so relieved to see that there is an actual name for this. I get bitten most years when on holiday in the greek islands, all different islands but still the same reaction to bites. Ithought I got bit under my eye one evening and the next day i said to my husband there is something wrong with my face I've been bitten ,but he couldn't see anything however that evening my eye swelled up like a golf ball, wish I'd have listened to my own instincts.I've had bites on arms legs and body that are hard, red swollen and ooze pus and water, not a pretty sight on holiday. I find 100% deet spray works although it stinks to high heaven and you can't wear any perfume or it attracts the little blighters. The only way i can cope is not to get bitten in the first place hence the deet and cover arms and legs at night,no pretty holiday dresses for me. We also spray the room every night before we go out with a local spray from supermarket, spray under beds in cupboards particularly in bathrooms, but if I do get bitten I usually get 3 days worth of antibiotics from the chemist (no alcohol with these ), and antihistamines.I got diagnosed as having cellulitus one year when I got home and went to docs,maybe next time I'll tell them to look this up on the computer,thanks for the info everyone,I think my husband was begining to think I was just overexagerating how painful this was .

Old 08-07-2015, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
I have skeeter syndrome, too. Started getting severe reactions to mosquito bites when I was in my 40s. Douse myself with deet-based mosquito spray, but sometimes I miss a spot; just the other night I went into the yard, thinking I'd be ok, since the spray can says lasts 10 hours. It doesn't! I rely on calamine lotion. It really helps with the burning and itching.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Here's something to try as I have found it to work great on bites. Rub some unrefined coconut oil on the bites.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
My son is 3 years old and about 2 year ago the same thing happened to him. At first I thought it was a spider bite so I took him to the hospital and they just sent us home, then again same thing and again they sent us home but this time they said it was MRSA. It got so bad his whole face was swollen and black and blue, it looked like he got beat up! I looked for another doctor and right away first visit they took samples and sent them in, something the hospital did NOT do, it came back negative but allergic to mosquitos

Old 07-14-2016, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
I get anaphylactic reactions from mosquito and fire ant bites. No blistering though. I feel that benadryl and ice helps best. Also antihistamin cream applied on the bite helps with the severe itching. I read somebody gave their child aspirin. Please don't. Aspirin is considered completely contraindicated for children in many contries (like germany) because of reye syndrom. If the child has as much as a cold at the time taking aspirin can
become life threatening. I only know because I used to be a doctor in germany and when I came to the U.S. I was shocked by the otc use of aspirin in children. It ia also a very potent blood thinner and children are more
likely to have accidents.
I also have had a anaphylactic reaction to a TD shot when I was younger, so the preservative theory seems really interesting.
What I have found is that supplementing vit D, selenium and flaxseed oil has really helped my allergy potential in general. And eating less processed food. I hope that helps. If anybody finds an immunotherapy please post!

Old 07-27-2016, 02:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
I really hate that hospitals are so quick to discount the possibility of an actual insect bite & initially assume MRSA.

Do you feel that this happening had a detrimental affect for your daughter since they did not immediatly start treating her for an allergic reaction?

Now, as an RN I am very familiar with both community acquired MRSA & nosocomial (hospital) acquired MRSA & I am aware that many people come in saying they had a bug bite & it turns out to be MRSA. (Hence, they always ask "Did you SEE the bug bite you").

However, I lean towards thinking that; they got bit, which created a site of non-intact skin, allowing the MRSA to take hold.

I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings & have been in the ER myself with a face that looked like a beach ball from a sting on the left temple.

Of course the doc's first thought was MRSA. "Lucky" for me, the area was close enough to my airway that they just started the Benadryl & steroids anyway, to which I started responding to quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies