Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 04:05 PM

86 posts, read 80,257 times

Advertisements

wheat, confirmed by allergy test. If I eat something doughy like French bread, cinnamon rolls, doughnuts or more than 1 slice of pizza, I break out into hives in 30 minutes or so. If I eat toasted bread, maybe 1 small slice, or some croutons in a salad, then I can get away with it.

Very strange allergy that I did not have as a kid as I would eat an entire pizza with no issue many many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 06:49 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Dust, pollen, trees and grass. No foods but if I eat cherries my throat itches. I don't eat cherries anymore. Cats but the tests say I am not and I get itchy eyes and skin if I am around cats.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
I was born allergic to protein and sugar. That was in 1971 when they didn't think babies could be born with allergies. since then my allergies have changed, gotten better and worse. currently I am allergic to every animal, every tree, every grass, every mold, all dust, mites, cockroaches, most flowers and plants. Food allergies are milk to some degree, some nuts (not peanuts, but walnuts, cashews, pine nuts and a few others I've forgotten), bananas, most citrus fruit, ginger, onions and I think that's mostly it.

None of my reactions are deadly so I still live in the world, have pets/animals of various kinds, and eat just about everything I'm allergic to except ginger and onions (mostly because I don't like the reactions I get, so there has to be some good reason for me to eat it). I do carry around an epipen, just in case. I did have a mild anaphylactic episode when they did the last allergy test because they had to do the transdermal tests for a few things. THAT was fun! LOL

I like to say I'm allergic to everything.... but there are a few things I'm not allergic to. MUCH shorter list.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm seventy-one and have no known allergies. I know few people in my age group with allergies.

I only remember two people in our school having an allergy to strawberries..
Back then they thought allergies were a mental issue not a physical one. So most cases of allergies were often thought to be other things, like cold, flu, consumption, etc or just not real. A lot of kids and adults were told they were hypochondriacs or that they were just "sickly". That's why few people before the 60's know they had allergies when they were a kid. Plus allergies change constantly throughout our lives.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Don't really know these days, but I'd like to take another food allergy test. My breathing will get funny for no reason that I can tell @ random times here & there. Seasons don't have anything to do w/ it necessarily either. It could be any season when I think funny breathing could happen.

I know I can't use regular household cleaners such as Lysol, etc. w/ those chemicals.

In 2017, when my breathing got funny out of the pure blue ever in my entire life, I took a food allergy test & it listed some ingredients (wheat, corn, etc.), but it must have been very minor because nothing severe happened when I consumed those ingredients.

Quick background on me: Diagnosed w/ allergic asthma in 2017 at age 42, otherwise never ever had any kind of respiratory issue in my life.

In these last few yrs, I've had several scary, out-of-the-blue occurrences w/ not being able to breathe as well. Overall, haven't had to use my inhalers much at all. But I'm about to get refills so I'm prepared just in case.
I have allergic asthma as well, have had it since I was 13. I've always had an inhaler, but seldom use it. chemicals such as Febreeze, even the "hypo-allergenic one" causes my asthma to flare up big time. Can't breath, almost had to go into the hospital once for it. I'm definitely allergic to whatever makes it Febreeze.

That being said, you may have a chemical sensitivity rather than an actual allergy. I use a lot of natural cleansers because of my allergies and sensitivities to chemicals. They clean most things as well as chemicals but seldom have the same reactions.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm allergic to Codeine. Makes me itch like crazy, but sometimes the pain relief is worth it.
That's what fentanyl does to me. I'm allergic to Codeine as well, but it gives me a splitting headache like the worst sinus headache in the world! That seems to only be in the liquid form though... I've had pills more recently that did not do this to me. But back in the late 80's I had some cough syrup with it and that's what happened.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:55 AM

71 posts, read 49,798 times
One of the first allergists I saw when I was in my early 20s (50 years ago) said I'd find something to be allergic to at the bottom of the ocean. I used to get 4 shots a week but gave up when they told me I'd never get to maintenance. My arms would swell and were very painful. As I've gotten older my reactivity has lessened. An occasional Zyrtec works fine. I avoid foods prepared by others. A neighbor once added MSG to her chicken soup and gave some to me. I didn't know I was allergic to it but found out quickly when after the first spoonful my throat started closing. 2 Benadryl and frantic praying saved me. The up side of being highly allergic is that I never get sick. My immune system is on high alert 24/7. I never get vaccines. I have been in close contact with others who are clearly contagious and I stay disease free.
If I want to get sick, getting vaccinated for something is the way to do it. For me, allergies are a blessing.

Old 01-24-2023, 03:53 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I am allergic to birch trees, although the fruit/nut connection with birch trees doesn't seem to affect me. I can eat any fruit or nut without an allergic reaction.

I am highly allergic to cats and dogs. I bought a stack of books at a yard sale once. When I got home, I saw the inside of my forearms breaking out in an itchy rash. Apparently the seller had a dog.

Since I live in Arizona part-time, spring desert flowers and their pollen is a big problem. I hate Spring.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:09 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm seventy-one and have no known allergies. I know few people in my age group with allergies.

I only remember two people in our school having an allergy to strawberries..

When I was a child we had a synthetic material davenport that used to give me hives and I once drank a variety of red wine that gave me giant hives. But other than that I've had no allergic reactions that I can recall.
I used to get one large, ugly, painful hive on my chin whenever I ate strawberries when I was younger. I have since then been tested and found not to be allergic to strawberries, but I haven't pigged out on fresh strawberries yet in order to find out if it's true. Old habits of avoidance sometimes die hard.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:50 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
More like what am I not allergic to. When the allergist did a skin test, almost everything was positive (dust, mold, pollen, grass, etc.). I got allergy shots for years and it did help somewhat but it was inconvenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies