Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 07:01 AM

136 posts, read 159,901 times

Advertisements

I am a healthy 41 year old women with no major health issues. Recently took a complete blood panel - iron, thyroid, kidney, liver, vitamins, etc all normal.
However, I just took the Micronutrient Cellular Assay test which showed a deficiency in L Lysine and severe deficiency in Taurine. I find these results conflicting as I have none of the symptoms of either deficiency.

Taurine deficiency causes: high blood pressure, high resting heart rate, obesity, and hypothyroid and kidney problems. My thyroid and kidney levels were very good on my complete blood panel just done 2 months ago. My blood pressure is actually on the low side - 100/70 or so. And my resting heart rate is 60 so def not high. I am 5'1 105 lbs so def nowhere near overweight.

Lysine deficiency causes: hair loss, high blood pressure, nausea, and anemia. My hemoglobin level was on the high side, no anema, high iron level, no nausea, thick lushess hair, and low blood pressure.

The problem is I am a health fanatic. After this test, I think if I don't take these supplements I will get health problems. Problem is both these supplements have side effects of lowering your blood pressure! I do not want to lower my blood pressure further. And if high blood pressure is a symptom of both why am I even taking the supplement in the first place!

Most minerals and vitamins were fine besides minor lower levels of Vit A, zinc, magnesium, and iodine. I eat a ton of iodized salt, tons of carrots and potatoes and cheese, and magnesium and zinc were actually above normal on my complete blood panel.

I need advice as my doctor doesn't believe in micronutrient tests and said that my blood panel was almost perfect. Does anyone believe this test to be oversensitive? Are they possible estimating ideal amino acids levels on a 300 pound man when I am a little petite 5 foot women? So confused here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 06:21 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I'd trust your body and avoid extra supplements that your body is indicating you don't need as you don't have symptoms indicating a lack...

However if you don't eat a certain category of food such as little/no red meat, I'd look to supplements (the B vitamins) to make up the difference.

But if you're concerned, you could take a good multi--most include most of the important micronutrients...

Old 03-01-2024, 05:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I would go ahead and take some L Lysine and Taurine in small amounts. You took the test, so it makes sense to me to use the results. Did the test results provide an actual value for each? If so, you could first do some searches on-line to find out the acceptable range that is expected for the values. Often there is variation in the ranges, depending on the source. You could just snack on some beef jerky, or some type of protein source, as it may bring up the Taurine and L Lysine levels without the supplements.

Old 03-04-2024, 12:10 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
About ten years ago I did all the genetic testing and learned I had a gene that meant taurine could be problematic for me. I'm sorry but I can't remember what it was, but I stopped taking taurine. I have not had my taurine level tested but it might be low, and it might not be a bad thing for me. You may want to look into this, if you haven't already, before taking taurine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine