Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,461 times

Advertisements

Moving from WI to MI.
Our kid is at U of M. moving close to kid. kid will stay at dorm. Looking for 1BR, 1 Bath in safe community and drivable distance to UM.
Please let me know some good neighborhoods or apartments.

Last edited by Uma1; 07-08-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 01:57 PM

543 posts, read 899,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma1 View Post
Moving from WI to MI.
Our kid is at U of M. moving close to kid. kid will stay at dorm. Looking for 1BR, 1 Bath in safe community and drivable distance to UM.
...sounds of helicopters overhead.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:22 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Wisconsin is drivable distance to campus.

Once I drove to Green Bay and back to buy a car.
Chicago is just a 4 hour drive

Old 07-10-2023, 11:38 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Wisconsin is drivable distance to campus.

Once I drove to Green Bay and back to buy a car.
Chicago is just a 4 hour drive
That's a really cool story. Once I knew a guy who drove from Chelsea to Seattle and back to buy a car, as well. Aren't stories great? Tell another one!

Old 07-10-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Moving from WI to MI.
Pretty much everything around campus is "safe". You may look at crime maps and get a different idea, but it's mostly campus-related and you're unlikely to ever feel the effects. But, as always with these questions, our recommendations will depend on your budget, distance you're willing to travel and other amenities you want around your new place of residence.

Old 07-10-2023, 12:12 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
That's a really cool story. Once I knew a guy who drove from Chelsea to Seattle and back to buy a car, as well. Aren't stories great? Tell another one!
Did he do it in a single day?

Cause that's about as useful as the OP. There is no additional info. ANYWHERE in Washtenaw or Livingston county is commutable to campus. ANYWHERE in Washtenaw or Livingston county is safe. BUDGET and WORK LOCATION are much more important. Anywhere walkable to central campus is expensive, loud, and all students. Sure, it would be really easy to commute from S Division to the LSA building, but $$ vs. benefit is low if you own a car.

Old 07-10-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Did he do it in a single day?
He drove back in a single day, AFAIK.
Quote:
Cause that's about as useful as the OP. There is no additional info. ANYWHERE in Washtenaw or Livingston county is commutable to campus. ANYWHERE in Washtenaw or Livingston county is safe. BUDGET and WORK LOCATION are much more important. Anywhere walkable to central campus is expensive, loud, and all students. Sure, it would be really easy to commute from S Division to the LSA building, but $$ vs. benefit is low if you own a car.
I mean, you're not 100% wrong, but if you're really interested in helping, some reasonable assumptions can be made. I agree, though, having OP come back with some clearer criteria would be helpful.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,461 times
20/30 mins car drive from central campus to would be nice..
budget is less than $1400.
Looking for 1B1B with W/D and patio.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
20/30 mins car drive from central campus to would be nice..
budget is less than $1400.
Looking for 1B1B with W/D and patio.
That should be pretty doable, but not widespread, especially in Ann Arbor proper. A quick Zillow search returns this. At this price point and looking as it does, I'd take it and run. Not sure about a patio, though - I didn't see one in the photos (although now that I'm looking at them again, I see a balcony - would that do?). But it's 10 minutes from campus, so maybe that helps make up for it.

Further afield, this looks decent, as well - and Dexter is a cute town. But, again, no patio.

Speaking more generally, the following communities alongside major highways would work for you in terms of safety and commute time:

US-23 North of A2: Brighton, Whitmore Lake, Hamburg, South Lyon and, honestly, pretty much anything else you can drive to in a half-hour.
US-23 South of A2: it's pretty rural, so you're probably not going to find many apartment buildings, aside from maybe some SFHs converted into duplexes/quadriplexes (sp?)
US-12: basically the entire corridor from Tecumseh (West) to Canton (East). I wouldn't go beyond, as Wayne, Westland, Garden City and Inkster are less nice; closer to Ann Arbor, Ypsi also has some questionable pockets, but you can easily avoid those. Canton in particular is nice as it has some newer housing stock and tons of retail, including Michigan's only IKEA. Saline is also pretty nice, but I'm not sure how many apartments you'll find there.
US-14: west to Chelsea (although, good luck with that budget), east to Livonia/Plymouth/Northville. Generally speaking, the farther east you go, the more options you have. Livonia's housing stock is probably going to be the oldest and cheapest of the lot.

I've found apartmentratings.com pretty useful when it came to customer reviews and filtering out the "bad" places, but Google reviews are also alright.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 07-10-2023 at 02:21 PM..

Old 07-10-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
He drove back in a single day, AFAIK.
Not that it's relevant to anything but my lack of desire to sound like an idiot, but I thought about it for a moment and it looks like I thought I "K", but, obviously, with 2200 miles to drive, that's incorrect. Dude's nuts, but not so nuts as to average over 100 mph on a cross-country trip. Three days now come to memory as a more accurate estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor