Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 13,728 times

Advertisements

CAn anyone tell where a nice place to live in Ajo , Az ??? Planning on moving there at the end of July or the 1st of August.
I will consider rooming with someone as the same sex as me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
justjodi,

I happened to drive through Ajo in 2001 on my way to Tucson (I know, this is the scenic route). Ajo and the surrounding lanscape are beautiful and just plain otherworldly at times (I'm from the East).

The town (as you may know) is TINY and very remote. I stopped at a gas station there and photographed a mural (near the gas station). It read (or something like this): "End of the World...20 miles, Ajo...36 miles" !

I have no idea what housing is like there - I will also be curious if anybody does know.

You may want to try these links:

ajochamber.com
cunews.info/ajoinfo.html
cunews.info/ajolinks.html

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,739 times
Better see it for yourself. . . other places safer, better schools by far, etc!

Check out Vail, Sahuarita, Catalina, Sonoita, Sierra Vista, Oro Valley, Tortolita, Corona . . .

Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjodi View Post
CAn anyone tell where a nice place to live in Ajo , Az ??? Planning on moving there at the end of July or the 1st of August.
I will consider rooming with someone as the same sex as me.
Definitely "out there", Justjodi

I'm not the "big city" type but Ajo would be pushing it for me.

Good Luck

! ! ! !

Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 PM

343 posts, read 552,026 times
You will fit in if you are Native American.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:20 AM

12 posts, read 138,014 times
I’m curious why you’re moving to Ajo. There doesn’t seem to be much there.

Off Topic: I like the name of the next town south-east of Ajo on highway 86: Why.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 52,174 times
Well, different strokes for different folks. Ajo may be for you IF you:

Don't like residential traffic
Don't like traffic lights
Don't like Wal*Mart or McDonalds in your back yard
Don't like noise

AND

Like fresh air
Like one billion stars each night
Like the sunrise and sunset each day
Like the REAL desert in your backyard
Like being in any part of the town and walk to the desert in 5 minutes or less!
Like being 90 miles from the ocean (Rocky Point MX)
Like to hike in the desert

There are 7 churches in town, a VFW/American Legion, Elks, a new IGA, several gas stations, 5 places that serve alcohol, 2 thrift stores. If you need a pair of shoes, off to Phoenix you go!

Ajo is a quiet retirement settlement now but was a busy mining town many years ago. For many it's on their way to Rocky Point MX, never knowing (or caring) to know the laid back life of Ajo.

We have a home in Ajo we visit every winter. Any questions? Ask away!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 27,148 times
hey, I'm moving to Ajo. I have just accepted a job there as a border patrol agent. I am an intermediate mountain biker, and like the outdoors. I also enjoy the convience of a not so long drive to a city when I want to have a change of scenery. Could you tell me what is in the vicinity of Ajo, and cities or towns, and activities to do? Also, I see Ajo is a retirement town, is there and up beat churches around? Thanks. -mike

Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 27,148 times
I will be moving to Ajo on the 16th of August, but will only be there for a short time before I go to Artesia for a while. However, once everything is done in Artesia, I will be residing in or around Ajo due to the job and am inquiring as to what the place is like for a single 25 year old. could you fill me in on how things are. I will be stationed there for Border Patrol for about 2 years. thankyou.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Off Topic: I like the name of the next town south-east of Ajo on highway 86: Why.

You took the words out of my mouth! The name of this one is a very concise summary of all the strange questions this forum is getting lately... I can understand being forced by circumstances to live in these places, being stuck in these places... but aspiring to go to them is totally beyond me! But then again there are people from Western Europe wanting to come to AZ... Being an European myself, it baffles me to no end... Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona