Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 08:39 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,646,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Why in the world do you recommend that? If the state keeps sending out registration renewal tags for it, then the local goons have no rationale pulling someone over.
They might as well drive without license plates at that point. I've seen a few with faded digits.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,883,287 times
Only thing that frustrates me about them is that I wanted a plate to honor Big Chungus, the fat Bugs Bunny internet meme. I chose "CHNGUS" because "CHUNGUS" was taken. Paid, had a temp plate, waited. I got a plain plate in the mail because someone at the office determined it was me trying to find a way around "chingas," a vulgarity in Spanish. :/ I tried to plead my case but they would have none of it.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:20 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Only thing that frustrates me about them is that I wanted a plate to honor Big Chungus, the fat Bugs Bunny internet meme. I chose "CHNGUS" because "CHUNGUS" was taken. Paid, had a temp plate, waited. I got a plain plate in the mail because someone at the office determined it was me trying to find a way around "chingas," a vulgarity in Spanish. :/ I tried to plead my case but they would have none of it.
LOL. Same thing but with a different vulgarity happened to me. Those DMV people got dirty minds.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
They should pull people over for faded license plates, not only are they difficult to read, but reflect poorly on first impressions if a visitor sees it.
My Arizona 73 plate got to the point where it was bare metal. Had to replace it with one of those red ones with the gawd awful cactus in the middle.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:55 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,074,665 times
yup, bumping this thread!....

we're now up to 102 specialty license plates, according to the ADOT page on plates......

many here seem concerned that this is not really a serious problem and that I should worry about world peace instead....I agree this isn't an international crisis, but the hypocrisy and favoritism in state government in approving these plates should concern Arizonans......the Barrett-Jackson plate, which first set me off when I saw it one day in 2022 and led to this thread, is little more than an ad for a private, for-profit company....nothing on the plate mentions they donate the proceeds to the Amer Heart Assoc.....if B-J merits a plate, every private, for-profit company in the state deserves one if they make donations.....somebody here said they bring in millions to the state; so do many other private companies in the state who have never sought out a plate

others here say all the plates go to worthy "charity" groups.....proceeds from the University of Phoenix plate go to their alumni group, hardly a charity.....as I said before, the U of Phx is a for-profit "college" which some call a diploma mill.....

the notorious "In God We Trust" plate proceeds go to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a private Scottsdale hate-group working to promote Christian practice in public schools, outlaw abortion, and curtail LGBT rights....clearly a case of the State being entangled with private religion and bigoted beliefs......"Choose Life" is a similar example which favors the Arizona Life Coalition, a private anti-abortion group.....most Arizonans favor abortion rights.....

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Habitat For Humanity, Masonic Fraternity are just some more private organizations with vaguely religious origins receiving assistance from the public ADOT......there are many more examples

the State of Arizona should not be helping to promote private organizations, many of which have highly exclusionary beliefs.......

ideally, we'd go back to the old green and yellow plates!!

Old 01-25-2024, 07:48 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,281,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
yup, bumping this thread!....

we're now up to 102 specialty license plates, according to the ADOT page on plates......

many here seem concerned that this is not really a serious problem and that I should worry about world peace instead....I agree this isn't an international crisis, but the hypocrisy and favoritism in state government in approving these plates should concern Arizonans......the Barrett-Jackson plate, which first set me off when I saw it one day in 2022 and led to this thread, is little more than an ad for a private, for-profit company....nothing on the plate mentions they donate the proceeds to the Amer Heart Assoc.....if B-J merits a plate, every private, for-profit company in the state deserves one if they make donations.....somebody here said they bring in millions to the state; so do many other private companies in the state who have never sought out a plate

others here say all the plates go to worthy "charity" groups.....proceeds from the University of Phoenix plate go to their alumni group, hardly a charity.....as I said before, the U of Phx is a for-profit "college" which some call a diploma mill.....

the notorious "In God We Trust" plate proceeds go to the Alliance Defending Freedom, a private Scottsdale hate-group working to promote Christian practice in public schools, outlaw abortion, and curtail LGBT rights....clearly a case of the State being entangled with private religion and bigoted beliefs......"Choose Life" is a similar example which favors the Arizona Life Coalition, a private anti-abortion group.....most Arizonans favor abortion rights.....

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Habitat For Humanity, Masonic Fraternity are just some more private organizations with vaguely religious origins receiving assistance from the public ADOT......there are many more examples

the State of Arizona should not be helping to promote private organizations, many of which have highly exclusionary beliefs.......

ideally, we'd go back to the old green and yellow plates!!
The funds are 100% coming from individuals purchasing the plates. I don't think ADOT is donating to these organizations.

News flash, not everyone agrees on everything.

Old 01-25-2024, 08:56 AM

The state pockets half of the fee for these plates which is why they are in the business,

I hadn't thought much about it but tend to agree with the poster a couple up that promoting private organization, politics and religion should be off limits, though. The problem comes when the state starts deciding what point of view is acceptable. Will we see a "Satan" plate with Satanic symbols or a "Support Choice" plate, for example? Is it really necessary or good for people to have yet another medium to promote their beliefs? I'd hate to see our plates turn into bumper stickers and advertising.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The state pockets half of the fee for these plates which is why they are in the business,

I hadn't thought much about it but tend to agree with the poster a couple up that promoting private organization, politics and religion should be off limits, though. The problem comes when the state starts deciding what point of view is acceptable. Will we see a "Satan" plate with Satanic symbols or a "Support Choice" plate, for example? Is it really necessary or good for people to have yet another medium to promote their beliefs? I'd hate to see our plates turn into bumper stickers and advertising.
A Satan plate would be fantastic! You swayed me. I'm in favor of these now.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:31 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
I am more annoyed by how the license plates are made. The thirteenth amendment to the US Constitution has a loophole you can drive a truck (with custom plates!) through. Outlaws slavery except "as punishment for a crime." So all anyone who wanted to continue the practice ever had to do, was steer public perception about who the "criminals" are and therefore, who can legally be a slave. And we have more zealous policing of certain communities, higher arrest rates, steeper sentences for the same crimes, etc for some folks than for others. Not to mention, "punishable by a fine" means "legal for a price." Got no money? Then you get to be a slave. I mean. Go to prison.

Guess where the license plates get made, and by whom?

I can only hope that the variety of colorful designs and the occasional witty custom plate brightens their day even slightly.

I saw one the other day that had a background of the "Matrix" design with the neon green falling numbers, and the plate was something along the lines of "OMG MTRX" and that made me laugh.

Old 01-25-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
A Satan plate would be fantastic! You swayed me. I'm in favor of these now.
Well they do have the Sun Devil ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona