Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 16,318 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

My partner and I are beginning to look into relocating to Arizona. It is very important to us to find an area that offers cultural diversity, cultural opportunities and a gay friendly atmosphere. We relocated from New Jersey to Georgia several years ago and while we haven't experienced any overt homphobia, we've experienced gay tolerance at best, and its been made pretty clear to us that because we're not a) southern and b) heterosexual, we don't quite fit. It's been difficult to make friends down here and we've actually found that the friends we have made have been other northern transplants. Needless to say, we'd like to be a part of a more friendly, welcoming community, where the people don't really care where we're from or who we share our bedroom with. In addition, we're looking for a community that offers more in the way of culture. We live about 40 minutes from Atlanta, and in the immediate surroundings, if you're not a big fan of going to the mall, you're pretty much out of luck. Can anyone out there suggest areas of Arizona that could be a good fit based upon what I describe?

Thank you so much!!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:54 PM

709 posts, read 1,768,699 times
What is your definition of gay friendly location ? Is it any city that has a gay pride parade on the streets every year ? If that is your definition than Arizona is not the place for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
What is your definition of gay friendly location ? Is it any city that has a gay pride parade on the streets every year ? If that is your definition than Arizona is not the place for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating-girl View Post
Hi folks,

My partner and I are beginning to look into relocating to Arizona. It is very important to us to find an area that offers cultural diversity, cultural opportunities and a gay friendly atmosphere. We relocated from New Jersey to Georgia several years ago and while we haven't experienced any overt homphobia, we've experienced gay tolerance at best, and its been made pretty clear to us that because we're not a) southern and b) heterosexual, we don't quite fit. It's been difficult to make friends down here and we've actually found that the friends we have made have been other northern transplants. Needless to say, we'd like to be a part of a more friendly, welcoming community, where the people don't really care where we're from or who we share our bedroom with. In addition, we're looking for a community that offers more in the way of culture. We live about 40 minutes from Atlanta, and in the immediate surroundings, if you're not a big fan of going to the mall, you're pretty much out of luck. Can anyone out there suggest areas of Arizona that could be a good fit based upon what I describe?

Thank you so much!!
Try Phx proper: it has quite a vibrant Gay scene, the epicenter seems to be 7th St/Camelback.

Yes; we do have Gay Pride events happening here.

gay phoenix men, phoenix gay bars, gay videos, personals, chat, gay realtor and community resources

I may be straight; but I am not narrow.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,423,050 times
Arizona is very conservative just like Georgia. Particularly Phoenix. Phoenix is the hub of conservatism. I think I might look into Downtown Phoenix or Downtown Scottsdale if I were you. Tuscon might also work, but I personally like Phoenix a lot more.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM

39,103 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Arizona is very conservative just like Georgia. Particularly Phoenix. Phoenix is the hub of conservatism. I think I might look into Downtown Phoenix or Downtown Scottsdale if I were you. Tuscon might also work, but I personally like Phoenix a lot more.
Arizona is NOTHING like Georgia. In Georgia conservative means Christian, bible-belt and bigoted. In Arizona, conservative means don't tax me for unnecessary things like schools and let me take my AK-47 to Applebee's if I want. In contrast to Georgia, AZ is quite tolerant of people who don't act and look the same as the dominant group. As AZ Bear points out, there is a large and visible gay community in Phoenix. At least one regular contributor on this forum is gay and will comment in more detail in time.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Agree with Ponderosa and ArizonaBear.

As far as the Valley is concerned, I would say central Phoenix, as suggested, or Tempe, would be the best locations. Tucson would also be a possibility, but I think the Valley has more to offer you.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Agree with Ponderosa and ArizonaBear.

As far as the Valley is concerned, I would say central Phoenix, as suggested, or Tempe, would be the best locations. Tucson would also be a possibility, but I think the Valley has more to offer you.
Several Gay folks have flat told me that Tucson is a wasteland where that way of life is concerned-----------read that virtually no clubs, etc.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,388,060 times
If you want to start a conversation about gay tolerance then just do it.
If that is to direct at least put some effort into the story. PLEEEEEASE!

Last edited by robertjohnson; 06-14-2009 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Lost my keys

Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM

709 posts, read 1,768,699 times
Quote:
Several Gay folks have flat told me that Tucson is a wasteland where that way of life is concerned-----------read that virtually no clubs, etc.
God Bless Tucson.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That may very well be true. An old friend of mine is down there, but he is older (like me ). I was thinking more of the generally more liberal climate. That's why I suggested that the Valley might have more to offer in terms of activities/culture etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona