Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 04:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,775,469 times

Advertisements

Not that it is important, but it seems PRC government still has some diplomatic gains recently.

-----------------------------------

Nicaragua on Thursday broke its longstanding diplomatic ties with Taiwan, switching allegiance to Beijing in a recognition of the Chinese Communist party's One China policy.

"The People's Republic of China is the only legitimate government that represents all of China and Taiwan is an inalienable part of the Chinese territory," Nicaragua's foreign ministry said in a statement issued in Spanish and English. "The government of the Republic of Nicaragua today breaks diplomatic relations with Taiwan and ceases to have any contact or official relationship," it added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 07:30 PM

3,975 posts, read 5,789,049 times
Honduras is also greatly thinking about switching recognition to the PRC. Very soon, no nation left will recognize the ROC as the sole legitimate government of China, not even the Vatican. The remaining nations that do recognize the ROC are all small, poor nations more interested in financial aid anyways. It's all sham diplomacy. It is ironic that the current ROC president does not even view her own government or herself moreover as the sole legitimate government of all China but rather that of a separate entity. That is not going to stop the paradigm however. The most the Taipei government can do in the future is to (re)admit that Taiwan Island is an inalienable part of China regardless of what government is ruling it and seek to return to the "One China, Different Interpretations" policy first thought up when Deng was still in power.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:35 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,470,070 times
Exactly why China and Chinese people deserve nothing but hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not that it is important, but it seems PRC government still has some diplomatic gains recently.
I wonder what you would do when a slightly less irrelevant country chooses to recognise Taiwan now. Jump off the window? China is incredibly unpopular these days. When there's one, more would follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Honduras is also greatly thinking about switching recognition to the PRC. Very soon, no nation left will recognize the ROC as the sole legitimate government of China, not even the Vatican. The remaining nations that do recognize the ROC are all small, poor nations more interested in financial aid anyways. It's all sham diplomacy. It is ironic that the current ROC president does not even view her own government or herself moreover as the sole legitimate government of all China but rather that of a separate entity. That is not going to stop the paradigm however. The most the Taipei government can do in the future is to (re)admit that Taiwan Island is an inalienable part of China regardless of what government is ruling it and seek to return to the "One China, Different Interpretations" policy first thought up when Deng was still in power.
Hunny get your facts straight before you spread bull**** like this.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,775,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Exactly why China and Chinese people deserve nothing but hate.

I wonder what you would do when a slightly less irrelevant country chooses to recognise Taiwan now. Jump off the window? China is incredibly unpopular these days. When there's one, more would follow.

Hunny get your facts straight before you spread bull**** like this.
I just posted some news. You can hate China but nobody cares.

Taiwan is always a part of China in my book, but it's a rebelling territory.
I don't really care whether it "reunifies" with China or not, to be honest, but I am certainly against its independence only because it would hurt China's security. Maybe the best way is to keep it's status quo.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:56 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,470,070 times
Quote:
I just posted some news. You can hate China but nobody cares.
For someone who continues to claim not caring about other people hating China, you certainly have a lot of kneejerk reactions.

Quote:
I don't really care whether it "reunifies" with China or not, to be honest, but I am certainly against its independence only because it would hurt China's security. Maybe the best way is to keep it's status quo.
And you wonder why Taiwanese people hate Chinese people, especially tools like you? Lmao, have some self-awareness.

And you believe the status quo is beneficial to China's security? America can easily use Taiwan as a military base as it is. American air force has landed in Taiwan I don't even know how many times in the past several years. The more Taiwan is pushed, the likelier America would just base forces in Taiwan and there's nothing China can do about it.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:14 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,083,168 times
Quote:
To rebel means
"a person who rises in opposition or armed resistance against an established government or leader.“

Except the Republic of China had control of Taiwan before PRC even existed, so how exactly are they rebelling?

In terms of Nicaragua, it is just a nation that was paid off by the US to create some opposition to China's narrative. Taiwan's biggest supporter is of course the US, which has become more willing to speak up and defend Taiwan. That is what really matters.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:49 AM

884 posts, read 358,546 times
Much more important than Nicaragua's official recognition is the US and EU. Japan has also been making more favourable noises towards Taiwan recently.

We may well end up with Taiwan losing the countries that officially recognise it due to Chinese pressure, while increasing unofficial ties with more critical countries.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:28 PM

35,264 posts, read 17,141,934 times
I am not one for throwing small, helpless nations under the bus. I believe that the "community of nations" or "United Nations" should have "Kumbaya" aspects. I am not happy when some bullying government persuades in isolating another. This is going on now with Ukraine and fear it may be Israel's fate.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:17 PM

10,174 posts, read 15,052,620 times
What's left? Some island nations the size of postage stamps in the Caribbean?

Going by the writing on the wall, I say Taiwan has its days numbered.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:01 PM

3,975 posts, read 5,789,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
To rebel means
"a person who rises in opposition or armed resistance against an established government or leader.“

Except the Republic of China had control of Taiwan before PRC even existed, so how exactly are they rebelling?

In terms of Nicaragua, it is just a nation that was paid off by the US to create some opposition to China's narrative. Taiwan's biggest supporter is of course the US, which has become more willing to speak up and defend Taiwan. That is what really matters.

If I can, I think I can clarify Bettafish's statement though you probably know this history just as well as I do. It is a fact that Chiang Kai Shek and the Guomindang were driven from the Mainland by Mao and the Communists in 1949. What is not fact is that Chiang was completely overthrown because in reality he had escaped to Taiwan Island (which as you said was already recognized as a Chinese province) and established a government-in-exile in Taipei. However, the newly founded PRC of course did not recognize this reality on paper, to them Chiang and the government in Taipei officially did not exist. Yet it's hard for the PRC to keep the official account when the reality was that there was still this non-Communist Chinese leader they should have and could have captured had the US not intervened laying claim to be the sole legitimate ruler of all China and after Chiang's death, his government continued to reject all claims that the CCP and the Beijing government were legitimate. That is explanation for Taiwan's "rebelling" and that is the root cause of the Mainland China-Taiwan tensions.

That brings the topic back to my prosaic point that any country or international organization recognizing the Taipei government is officially recognizing it as the sole legitimate government of all China. Beijing does not like this which is why they break ties with any nation that recognizes Taipei aka the "rebellious" government and vice versa. I understand that President Tsai wants to change this viewpoint but in order to do so, her government would have to formally declare outright de jure independence from China which 1) obviously tick off Xi and Beijing so much as to invade Taiwan Island but 2) probably won't even pass muster among Taiwanese locals and will not be supported by the US or any other major nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia