Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 AM

320 posts, read 578,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Update: to blacks/hispanics, I'd say it's east coast because of their whole rap thing with east coast vs west coast. -does the finger signs-

In the words of Kanye, "It feel like at-lana, it feel like LA, NY"

to whites/Asians/everyone else, I'd say it's a southern city because it's in the deep south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

LOL. Do you really think that black folks consider any city in the state of Georgia to be the East Coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
  1. Because a thread was created
  2. Because no one calls this region southeast but meteorologists
  3. Because you're not addressing whether Atlanta is CONSIDERED (<-- operative word here) an east coast city
"Because a thread was created"...oh boy. Reminds me of when my kids used to answer questions with "because" as the answer.

"Because no one calls this region southeast but meteorologists"...HUH? What does that even mean? This is the southeast US. I was responding to the ridiculous comment that Atlanta can't be considered "east" because it's in the south. I was merely pointing out the geographic fact that Georgia and Atlanta are in the south, while also being in the east. BTW...college football must be comprised of meteorologists. Ever heard of the SEC?

"Because you're not addressing whether Atlanta is CONSIDERED (<-- operative word here) an east coast city"...Considered by WHOM? I'll ask again what I asked when this thread was started. What is the definition of an "east coast city" and what are you talking about?

I was born and raised in NYC, and I lived for 15 years outside Boston, so I know a little something about "east coast cities" to be sure. If your definition is based on Atlanta being a clone of those cities, then yes, you'll be disappointed. If you're talking a geographic view, then of course it's an east coast city.

Atlanta is a city. Atlanta is in the eastern time zone. Atlanta is in one of the original 13 colonies, which has a coastline on the Atlantic Ocean. Atlanta is home to many corporate and non-profit HQs. Atlanta has sports teams in the 3 most popular pro leagues. Atlanta has one of the largest rail transit systems in the US. Atlanta has some of the tallest buildings on the east coast.

What is Atlanta missing that in your mind would make it "east coast"...I'm dying to know.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
In a strict geographical sense, Atlanta is not an east coast city simply because the state of Georgia is coastal; otherwise we could consider Chattanooga an east coast metro since it extends into Georgia. The city itself isn't coastal; hell it's in the foothills of the Appalachians.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
... I was responding to the ridiculous comment that Atlanta can't be considered "east" because it's in the south....
Well, that explains a lot. Maybe you can use your trusty compass to find the person who said it and quote them.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:28 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
No, you have to be on shrooms to consider Atlanta an East Coast city; its a Piedmont city. Savannah is an East Coast city, not Atlanta.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM

70 posts, read 161,833 times
If it's in the Eastern Time Zone, it's east coast in my book.

Edit: Now that I think about it, never mind, Atlanta isn't an East Coast city.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Well, that explains a lot. Maybe you can use your trusty compass to find the person who said it and quote them.
Hey smarty...you're the one who quoted and responded to me. SMH

Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,967 times
Na, it's too far from the coast. If Atlanta is an "East Coast" city then so are cities like State College, PA and Martinsburg, WV, places that are a similar distance to the ocean.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Hey smarty...you're the one who quoted and responded to me. SMH
Are you deliberately being obtuse?

Shake your head a little harder and see post #108. You originally responded to me with a comment that had nothing to do with what I posted. Had it not been for your snarky question about why we're even discussing this, I would have ignored you altogether. Nevertheless, here we are.

Now, it would take someone who is seriously geographically challenged to deny that Atlanta is in the southeastern quadrant of these United States of America. It takes an equally challenged person to pretend to not get the difference between connotation and denotation. You can like it or lump it, but this piece is called the south.

If asked whether Atlanta is considered an east coast city, which was the OP's question, then the answer is no. Clue #1, Atlanta is not on the coast. And yes, I am maintaining that it sounds like some people don't want to admit they live in the south.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,844 times
Atlanta is a southern city but it is also an east coast city.
Geographically speaking the East coast start from Maine to Florida (keys) so there is no room for confusion.

All states along the East coast are considered East coast states.the whole state of Georgia is on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta