Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2023, 10:32 AM

1,376 posts, read 931,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If that's a sad indictment on Atlanta, then I don't know what to say about metros with suburban arenas that house teams belonging to the most popular sport in the country.
Yes, Sofi stadium, Metlife Stadium, and Jerryworld are all well outside of their cores. While Mercedes Benz is downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 10:57 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,063,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Yes, Sofi stadium, Metlife Stadium, and Jerryworld are all well outside of their cores. While Mercedes Benz is downtown.
Not to mention Lambeau Field which is in a whole other city about 2 hours away, otherwise it would be in the Milwaukee area. That's like if the Falcons were in Macon instead of Atlanta.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:06 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,227,220 times
Quote:
Meadowlands not even in the same state as the city that the teams represent.

Washington Commanders stadium over 30+ min from downtown DC.

The SF 49ers play in Santa Clara. Tampa Rays stadium is in St. Petersburg. Foxboro is about an hour from Boston.

It's really not that uncommon, especially for football stadiums.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:21 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post

The SF 49ers play in Santa Clara. Tampa Rays stadium is in St. Petersburg. Foxboro is about an hour from Boston.

It's really not that uncommon, especially for football stadiums.
Hockey games and football games are a strange comparison. Football games, whether professional or Div I-A college, draw as many as 90,000 people [obviously depending on the capacity of the stadium], and game day is an all-day event with tailgating and partying partly because teams only play 8 home games a year. People will travel many hours to be there. Its almost like when NASCAR comes to town.

That all-day tailgating environment among tens of thousands of fans doesn't really happen with hockey games [exceptions exist, but they're just that: exceptions]. Most NHL teams don't draw but a quarter of the number of people going to football games. And there's 41 home games.

NGL, I'm far more likely to put up with gameday traffic going miles out of town for football games that only happen a few times a year than I am to put up with traffic on McGinnis Ferry for more than about an hour for the local hockey team which plays every few days for months.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,227,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Hockey games and football games are a strange comparison. Football games, whether professional or Div I-A college, draw as many as 90,000 people [obviously depending on the capacity of the stadium], and game day is an all-day event with tailgating and partying partly because teams only play 8 home games a year. People will travel many hours to be there. Its almost like when NASCAR comes to town.

That all-day tailgating environment among tens of thousands of fans doesn't really happen with hockey games [exceptions exist, but they're just that: exceptions]. Most NHL teams don't draw but a quarter of the number of people going to football games. And there's 41 home games.

NGL, I'm far more likely to put up with gameday traffic going miles out of town for football games that only happen a few times a year than I am to put up with traffic on McGinnis Ferry for more than about an hour for the local hockey team which plays every few days for months.
It was in response to a comment that said:
"I don't know what to say about metros with suburban arenas that house teams belonging to the most popular sport in the country."

The NFL is by far the most popular sport in the country. MLB made a bit of a comeback this year, but NFL is still the king.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:18 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,994 times
The Carolina Hurricanes play in Raleigh, and in the past couple of years have drawn Top 10 attendance in the NHL because they've been putting out a good product.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:25 PM

837 posts, read 856,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If that's a sad indictment on Atlanta, then I don't know what to say about metros with suburban arenas that house teams belonging to the most popular sport in the country.
Only teams with suburban cores are the New York Islanders, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and the Florida Panthers. The Isles and the Ducks have had success with their fan bases while until last season, the Panthers have struggled due to being placed far away from the core cities of Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Not to mention that the Isles have won four consecutive Stanley Cups, and Anaheim won back in 2007. No such success has followed the Panthers, and it's not just the two Stanley Cup losses, but the main reason why the Panthers have struggled has been the far away location in Sunrise.

Had the Panthers built an arena either in Ft Lauderdale or had the wisdom of sharing the arena in Miami with the Heat, you wouldn't have the attendance problems it had currently faced in it's past.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
There's just no space nor enough infrastructure to handle up to 70K football fans in NYC, so NYC has to settle having their football teams play in an area that can accommodate a football stadium that's not far away from Midtown Manhattan.

Quote:
And I doubt Washington comes back to DC. It seems like VA is more likely to get the team over DC due to politics.

Quote:
THe 49ers definitely need to return to SF, either the old Candlestick Park site or closer to Oracle Park. Santa Clara is too far away from SF, and the closest major city isn't SF, but San Jose. The Tampa Bay Rays and the New England Patriots , however, are regional teams, meaning they don't play in the area's largest cities (Boston and Tampa).

Old 10-14-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Sofi Stadium is in Inglewood as opposed to Downtown LA because there's enough space to handle a football stadium in that part. It's about 33 min driving (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los+...l=en&entry=ttu) and a little over an hour taking mass transit (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los+...l=en&entry=ttu), quite similar to how it takes about 25 min to Penn Station in NY by driving (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Penn...l=en&entry=ttu) and up to an hour by mass transit (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Penn...l=en&entry=ttu). And might I add that the Meadowlands does have a rail link between itself and Penn Station via NJ Transit. Jerryworld, or shall we say AT&T Stadium, is in Arlington, TX, and replaced the old Texas Stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Not to mention Lambeau Field which is in a whole other city about 2 hours away, otherwise it would be in the Milwaukee area. That's like if the Falcons were in Macon instead of Atlanta.
The Green Bay Packers are holdovers since the 1920's, when the old NFL has franchises in Decatur, IL, Canton, OH, Portsmouth, OH, Frankford (Philadelphia), and even Providence, RI. The Packers don't need to relocate to Milwaukee!

Old 10-15-2023, 07:42 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Only teams with suburban cores are the New York Islanders, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and the Florida Panthers. The Isles and the Ducks have had success with their fan bases while until last season, the Panthers have struggled due to being placed far away from the core cities of Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Not to mention that the Isles have won four consecutive Stanley Cups, and Anaheim won back in 2007. No such success has followed the Panthers, and it's not just the two Stanley Cup losses, but the main reason why the Panthers have struggled has been the far away location in Sunrise.

Had the Panthers built an arena either in Ft Lauderdale or had the wisdom of sharing the arena in Miami with the Heat, you wouldn't have the attendance problems it had currently faced in it's past.
I agree with the opinion that the NHL’s Florida Panthers very likely would be enjoying better attendance numbers if they had built their home arena in a more urbanized location closer to the urban cores of Southeast Florida metropolitan core cities like Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

But I also think that the NHL Panthers possibly could be enjoying much better attendance numbers if they had built their home arena as the anchoring centerpiece of a major redevelopment of the nearby Sawgrass Mills Mall property into a large mixed-use development entertainment complex.

Though, when the Panthers’ home arena (Amerant Bank Arena) was built in the late 1990’s, the types of revenue/attendance-generating large mixed-use development entertainment complexes that we see major league professional sports teams gravitating towards today were still at least about a decade away from coming into existence.

In the case of the proposed future Atlanta area NHL team, I (admittedly cynically) think (and unfortunately probably correctly know) that locating an NHL team in a outer-suburban location (like the proposed “The Gathering at South Forsyth” location along GA-400 on the Forsyth County side of the Alpharetta area) will work in the Atlanta market because of the extremely highly suburban and exurban character of the Atlanta metropolitan region.

… A highly suburban and exurban characteristic in which the Atlanta metropolitan region is home to many affluent suburbanites and exurbanites who live outside of the I-285 Perimeter who (because they both live and work outside of the I-285 Perimeter don’t really ever have to venture inside the I-285 Perimeter, except maybe to go to the Atlanta Airport) really do not like to venture into the more urban part of the Atlanta metropolitan region that is located inside of the I-285 Perimeter.

The geography of the Atlanta region (an extremely low-density sprawling landlocked metropolitan region with no geographical barriers to development) has enabled the development of a very large suburban and exurban expanse (particularly to the north of the I-285 Perimeter) which often competes directly with the City of Atlanta proper and metro Atlanta’s ITP urban core.

The sprawling landlocked geography of the Atlanta region allows a noticeable majority of its residents to live a decidedly low-density suburban and exurban lifestyle without having to make any meaningful or often even minimal contact with the more core urban environment of the area located within the area inside of the I-285 Perimeter.

One of the major reasons why the Atlanta Braves have experienced such robust attendance figures since moving into Truist Park stadium in 2017 is because the stadium and its adjoining mixed-use development entertainment complex (The Battery) are located in a suburban environment (in Cumberland in historically notoriously suburban Cobb County) that the Braves’ base of deeply conservative urban-averse suburban and exurban fans are comfortable going to watch a game in… Which is something that the Braves’ mostly deeply conservative urban-averse suburban and exurban fanbase very visibly was not always comfortable doing when the team was playing its home games at Turner Field in a much more urban inner-city environment just south of Downtown Atlanta.

Seemingly unlike some other large major metropolitan regions, Atlanta seems to be a much more socially and culturally (and politically and even economically) suburban and exurban oriented large major metropolitan region where suburban and exurban living is emphasized and overemphasized and where urban living is often derided and looked down and viewed negatively and even with much hostility and outright contempt by many affluent OTP suburbanites and exurbanites.

(Along with the revenue-generating component of having a large mixed-use development entertainment complex immediately surrounding a hockey-specific arena in an area with a robust community of hockey fans and supporters) It is because of the decided social and cultural tilt (and often just outright social and cultural bias) towards suburban and exurban living in the Atlanta region that having an NHL team play its home games in an outer-suburban location may be more likely to work in the Atlanta market than in other NHL markets where there may not be as much of a widespread and pervasive social and cultural bias against urbanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta