Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2021, 08:05 PM

11 posts, read 22,298 times

Advertisements

Well it seems that Macy’s is going to retire Pricilla the “Pink Pig” ride that so many of Atlanta natives have ridden over the past decades as children and then taken our children and grandchildren on Christmas rides around the stores toy section…..Apparently it has become so dangerous to visit Lenox Square even on a Sunday afternoon that young mothers with small children have become easy targets for the predators that now run the place and the store owners are afraid of toddlers being gunned down in the crossfire of gang violence that the war zone of Lenox Square has become…….Shame on you Mayor Bottoms and the City of Atlanta for allowing a long treasured piece of Atlanta’s history to end because you won’t do anything to stop the gang shootings and allow the Police to do their job and stop the crime that is killing our beloved city…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 11:00 PM

712 posts, read 682,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhaven Bobby View Post
Well it seems that Macy’s is going to retire Pricilla the “Pink Pig” ride that so many of Atlanta natives have ridden over the past decades as children and then taken our children and grandchildren on Christmas rides around the stores toy section…..Apparently it has become so dangerous to visit Lenox Square even on a Sunday afternoon that young mothers with small children have become easy targets for the predators that now run the place and the store owners are afraid of toddlers being gunned down in the crossfire of gang violence that the war zone of Lenox Square has become…….Shame on you Mayor Bottoms and the City of Atlanta for allowing a long treasured piece of Atlanta’s history to end because you won’t do anything to stop the gang shootings and allow the Police to do their job and stop the crime that is killing our beloved city…..
Did Macy's say that the recent violence at the mall was the reason they're stopping the Pink Pig? It's possible, but considering they did say that they canceled it last year because of Covid, then it stands to reason that would remain the primary reason since our numbers are worse than this time last year. Everything else you stated was conjecture.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:59 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times
They killed off the great tree several years ago when they switched it to a plastic cone. It used to be a real tree and they had a contest every year and would broadcast the winner on the news. I would imagine it's just more downsizing from Macy's.

Re: Buckhead and all that other stuff you mentioned... Honestly I feel more at home on the south side. Yes it is rough looking in areas. But at least it is still the south. Trees overhanging the roads, dirt/gravel roads in areas, independent owned businesses and local people to help you out... Buckhead is basically California at this point.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:03 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
I say mount a pig face on the Atlanta streetcar and call it a day.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:28 AM

712 posts, read 682,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
They killed off the great tree several years ago when they switched it to a plastic cone. It used to be a real tree and they had a contest every year and would broadcast the winner on the news. I would imagine it's just more downsizing from Macy's.

Re: Buckhead and all that other stuff you mentioned... Honestly I feel more at home on the south side. Yes it is rough looking in areas. But at least it is still the south. Trees overhanging the roads, dirt/gravel roads in areas, independent owned businesses and local people to help you out... Buckhead is basically California at this point.
I think you're onto something there about how Buckhead and Atlanta overall is losing its local flavor, and depending on your perspective, being watered down or elevated into a perspective that is shared with cosmopolitan cities around the world with all the same predictable upscale urban aesthetic trappings of Apple stores, Starbucks, and $5-million pied-à-terres. It's not surprising that Macy's would give up nostalgic traditions like the Pink Pig as the Lenox location becomes just another outpost indistinguishable from any other Macy's store in the country.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I say mount a pig face on the Atlanta streetcar and call it a day.
That’s the best idea I’ve heard yet……While it’s most likely Macy’s is closing the attraction down as a cost saving measure because they aren’t making enough money anymore and I’m sure it’s expensive to operate and insure but it’s not conjecture to state that violent crime and shootings are out of control in and around Lenox Mall…..The Mayor doesn’t care and APD isn’t even responding to shoplifting cases anymore due to manpower so nothing is going to improve unless Buckhead becomes it’s own city and forms a Police force to do more about crime other than take a report and count empty shell casings….

Old 10-01-2021, 03:37 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Maybe they could move it up to MOG or some place that doesn't have as many crime issues? You hate to see the kids miss out completely on an ATL tradition.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:34 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
I think you're onto something there about how Buckhead and Atlanta overall is losing its local flavor, and depending on your perspective, being watered down or elevated into a perspective that is shared with cosmopolitan cities around the world with all the same predictable upscale urban aesthetic trappings of Apple stores, Starbucks, and $5-million pied-à-terres. It's not surprising that Macy's would give up nostalgic traditions like the Pink Pig as the Lenox location becomes just another outpost indistinguishable from any other Macy's store in the country.
Totally agree. My brother has been showing me videos of the new commercial areas in Seoul and Tokyo. It looks just like Buckhead, with many of the same businesses. There's a weird monoculture developing. Why in the world someone who longs for days gone by in south ATL would want to be a part of that, want to build a wall around it, I don't know. I thought conservatives were the ones who were worried about "globalists" all the time.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 36,631 times
Studebaker's

Old 10-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Studebaker’s was fun, went there a couple times back in the day……Anybody visit Poets Corner in Buckhead on Roswell Rd. just off the Peachtree Rd. Split……There was a pretty good house band called Ben Dover & Tennessee Tucker that played there back in the Southern Rock heyday, it was a dump but was fun and I have many good memories from that little hole in the wall…..…What about the best, worst and loudest concerts you ever saw at the old Omni…….My two best experiences in 75 were ZZ Top and Kiss, both were equally fantastic and extremely LOUD……My wife yells at me to this day “Get a hearing aid old man” I’m sure those concerts are the reason but it was worth it, both were awesome shows I’ll never forget and there was no need to bring any weed because all you had to do was breathe and by the 3rd quarter you were feeling very mellow……..The worst concert at the Omni was The Allman Brothers Band which was during the Greg and Cher period of time and they were all so drugged out or drunk that the whole show was a train wreck and I am a huge Allman brothers fan but that wasn’t close to being their best performance by a long shot……I miss the old Omni, I wish that I’d gone down there when they tore it down and picked up a piece of scrap for old time sake………
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta