Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of auto racing do you like?
NASCAR 31 32.63%
Indy 9 9.47%
Formula 1 43 45.26%
Drag 3 3.16%
Other, feel free to comment 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,245,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
I think that that is a different situation though. When you blow a tire and damage the suspension in F1, you have no chance at the win or at earning any points. He already has the championship wrapped up, why go back out?
Because it's your job, that's why, Because the sponsors paid millions for their logos to be seen driving around as much as possible. Because racers race.

If what you say is true, and I don't believe it is, that's a sad pathetic reason to not fix the car and go back out. I think it's because if these cars aren't absolutely perfect, they're useless. That's not very exciting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Because it's your job, that's why, Because the sponsors paid millions for their logos to be seen driving around as much as possible. Because racers race.

If what you say is true, and I don't believe it is, that's a sad pathetic reason to not fix the car and go back out. I think it's because if these cars aren't absolutely perfect, they're useless. That's not very exciting to me.
Just another example of why real race fans have little interest in F1

When Kenseth was wrecked yesterday in a NASCAR race(ironically by a Red Bull owned car) his team did not quit even though they had no chance of a decent finish.
The spent a long time repairing the car so that their sponsor got as much TV exposure time as possible.
That's what real racers do.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
The problem is, of course, that you are merely speculating about what the damage was to Vettel's car. If you watched on Speed, note that Matchett was highlighting the crewman moving the entire axle and brake assembly, which should not move. The speculation was that there were multiple broken parts and massive suspension damage - in that case you don't know what damage is visible and what damage is not.

I'd rather not see a replay of Senna, thank you very much.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 AM

890 posts, read 1,851,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Just another example of why real race fans have little interest in F1

When Kenseth was wrecked yesterday in a NASCAR race(ironically by a Red Bull owned car) his team did not quit even though they had no chance of a decent finish.
The spent a long time repairing the car so that their sponsor got as much TV exposure time as possible.
Well, it's not JUST sponsorship. Positions equal points throughout the entire field - so if they get back out there, and others drop out there's more points, which could result in a position(s) gained at the end of the season.

I've attended NASCAR races (both national and local), IndyCar and NHRA events. Would like to get to an F1 event, maybe Austin next year (if it happens).

All that said, I prefer non-winged USAC sprint cars on a 1/4-1/2 mile dirt oval over any of the above choices and will drive 4-5 hours to catch an event if I have to.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 AM

in reference to my previous post - which I can't edit for some reason: Indiana Sprint Week - YouTube

Old 11-17-2011, 04:20 PM

555 posts, read 1,574,397 times
You don't believe that is how the F1 points system works?

Formula 1 Points System

Only the top 10 of 26 cars earn points.

And there is also a BIG difference between Vettel and Kenseth. Vettel has won the championship and had nothing to lose or gain. Vettel has also won 11 races this season. I really don't think that this damaged the sponsor-team relationship.

Kenseth has not won the championship, yet fixing the car would be an advantage for him, as that is how the points system works.

If Kenseth had no shot at points, then do you really think they would bother fixing the car? I doubt it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
You don't believe that is how the F1 points system works?

Formula 1 Points System

Only the top 10 of 26 cars earn points.

And there is also a BIG difference between Vettel and Kenseth. Vettel has won the championship and had nothing to lose or gain. Vettel has also won 11 races this season. I really don't think that this damaged the sponsor-team relationship.

Kenseth has not won the championship, yet fixing the car would be an advantage for him, as that is how the points system works.

If Kenseth had no shot at points, then do you really think they would bother fixing the car? I doubt it.
Don't know if this was directed at my response or not....but, if it was, I'm well aware of how the point systems work.

My response to PDD was illustrating that it's not JUST sponsorship that motivates the Cup guys to get back out there....points are given throughout the field and a few points here and there can make a difference at year's end.

If the response wasn't directed at mine....then carry on.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,131,534 times
Upon more review by me I determine F1 and Indy to be better than Nascar. I can just not get into it and I have tried. Indy is starting to promote it's sport better and F1 does a pretty good job. Indy puts full races up on youtube right after the race just finishes! I also love the F1 website which let's see qualifying from onboard the car and they have 3-5 min race recaps. I wish the recaps were longer or if they would put full races on their site or you tubes. F1 has a race in Austin TX this year I might just have to drive down and check it out after all how often does F1 come to the USA.

2011 FORMULA 1 BELGIAN GRAND PRIX recap:

Formula 1

Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,131,534 times

2012 Indy Car Series Firestone 500K at Texas Dramatic Finish - YouTube

Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM

122 posts, read 97,846 times
Open-wheel is always more interesting than the slow taxicabs going round and round.

NASCAR is B*O*R*I*N*G*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing