Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,888,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
A paycheck of over 10 million a year can instill a lot of patients and focus!

Just a side note, if you are of driving age and don't have any on track experience yet, I'd say you might want to start out at NASCAR speed park. Probably make manager in 10 or so years. That will be your best bet with Nascar
Actually I have pretty bad ADHD and it is really hard for me to do something repetitive over and over again and pay attention. Unfortunately money cant change the way my brain works. I dont have track experience, but I have lots of experience driving down curvy roads at very fast speeds, driving in very averse conditions at high speed, driving very fast in off road very fast on very bad dirt roads, driving very fast down highways, and so on. Really im more of a rally racer.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Actually I have pretty bad ADHD and it is really hard for me to do something repetitive over and over again and pay attention. Unfortunately money cant change the way my brain works.
that does create a problem, but if you apply yourself that can be overcome.

Quote:
I dont have track experience, but I have lots of experience driving down curvy roads at very fast speeds, driving in very averse conditions at high speed, driving very fast in off road very fast on very bad dirt roads, driving very fast down highways, and so on. Really im more of a rally racer.
well i can tell you from experience what a team owner looking for a driver will tell you if you approach him with no track experience;

son, go out and win a few races and then we will talk.

and that response wont change regardless of what form of motorsports you decide to get into. car owners want to know what kind of driver you are before they put you in their equipment, and that means building your own race car and going racing.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 PM

890 posts, read 1,851,657 times
This thread is about as bizarre as a Sprint Cup race on the streets of Monaco.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
This thread is about as bizarre as a Sprint Cup race on the streets of Monaco.
that might be an interesting race to watch if it were ever to happen.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that does create a problem, but if you apply yourself that can be overcome.

well i can tell you from experience what a team owner looking for a driver will tell you if you approach him with no track experience;

son, go out and win a few races and then we will talk.

and that response wont change regardless of what form of motorsports you decide to get into. car owners want to know what kind of driver you are before they put you in their equipment, and that means building your own race car and going racing.
How do you explain hacks like Ken Butler III and Jon Wrecks Weekly?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
How do you explain hacks like Ken Butler III and Jon Wrecks Weekly?
i dont know who they are or what level they are at in racing. but there are a few drivers that actually helped form the team they are racing with, and thus essentially stepped into their own ride.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 14,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont know who they are or what level they are at in racing. but there are a few drivers that actually helped form the team they are racing with, and thus essentially stepped into their own ride.
Jon Wes Townley and Ken Butler III were both Nationwide drivers. Both of them combined had the driving talent of a chimpanzee and they got their rides because their daddies have money. Townley's dad Tony is a higher up at Zaxby's and Butlers dad is the CEO of Aaron's.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Jon Wes Townley and Ken Butler III were both Nationwide drivers. Both of them combined had the driving talent of a chimpanzee and they got their rides because their daddies have money. Townley's dad Tony is a higher up at Zaxby's and Butlers dad is the CEO of Aaron's.
so they took another route, they bought their rides, so what? aarons and zaxbys are the sponsors of the team, dont you think they should ahve some influence on who the driver is going to be? remember alan kulwicki and his hooters sponsor? after alan died, the new team owner put a driver in the car, and hooters pulled their sponsorship because they didnt like the driver. this is NOTHING NEW at all. it has been going on virtually since the beginning of the sport.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 PM

733 posts, read 1,757,902 times
It makes me laugh how people think that NASCAR is such an easy sport. I can run with a football in my hand...does that mean I can be a football player? I can hit a ball with a club...does that mean I could be a golfer? I can kick a ball that's on the ground...does that mean I could be a soccer player? NASCAR, just like every sport...is much more difficult than a lot of people think. If your car isn't running good...you had better be able to tell your crew what is wrong with it, because if you don't...they will have no idea what to fix. If your car has problems and needs to be taken to the garage, you had better plan on helping the crew and figuring out what is wrong, because they wont appreciate you taking a nap while they are fixing the car. Being able to drive fast is fine and dandy, but try doing it with 42 other cars around you...all of which are going nearly the same speed as you. I have a feeling it wouldn't be as easy. Is there any strategy other than having to make pit stops? Well....what exactly is a pit stop? Just making a pit stop isn't exactly a strategy. What you do to your car on that pit stop, however, is a strategy. Now while I'm a big NASCAR fan, I am in no way an expert. However, I do know that there is much more to the sport than just driving and pitting.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
NASCAR, just like every sport...is much more difficult than a lot of people think.
very true.

Quote:
If your car isn't running good...you had better be able to tell your crew what is wrong with it, because if you don't...they will have no idea what to fix.
this is also true.

Quote:
If your car has problems and needs to be taken to the garage, you had better plan on helping the crew and figuring out what is wrong, because they wont appreciate you taking a nap while they are fixing the car.
this is not true. having been a crew chief in the past, i can tell you that i would rather have the driver just go away while i and my crew work on the car as the driver usually just gets in the way. a lot of drivers think they know how to work on cars, and they dont. the few that do are ones like alan kulwicki who had a degree i engineering and built his own race cars. jef gordon may be able to work on his family car, but he doesnt get his hands dirty working on his race car because he knows he doesnt know anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing